General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
That's sort of what I said earlier. The election was more about getting the Conservatives out, than it was getting Labour in. One third of the vote, in the lowest turnout in 20 years, is certainly not a ringing endorsement for Labour. Even the most enthusiastic Labour supporters on here wouldn't pretend otherwise.
Having said all that, I wonder what the majority would have been had the Israel/Palastine conflict nit being a factor.

The result is history now and I’m sure most are aware that this 170 majority could be flipped just as the Tory one was within 5 years.

It’s up to the government to show they deserve that majority now. If they don’t, then they’ll be voted out.

Beth rigby is the female simon stone , first questions, inane and negative , trying to force starmer into promises for the first 100 days, oh and low vote share , stfu , she has been at it for two days already

I think you'll find they would

I've not seen much of that. Ultimately they won, and won big, by doing exactly what they said the plan was : To spread out their vote by appealing to Tory voters, and making sure that 2019 Tory voters weren't scared of a Labour government.

It meant that the Labour base wasn't enthused, but you only get one little X, and no matter how enthusiastic you are, it doesn't make that count any more.

When I was knocking on doors in 2017, people were excited and enthusiastic, but Theresa May still ended up with about the same amount of votes that Thatcher did in her 1983 landslide. Labour piling up enthusiastic votes in seats they were always going to win meant they lost.

Having said all that, I wonder what the majority would have been had the Israel/Palastine conflict nit being a factor.

The result is history now and I’m sure most are aware that this 170 majority could be flipped just as the Tory one was within 5 years.

It’s up to the government to show they deserve that majority now. If they don’t, then they’ll be voted out.
I'd say, no chance. Well; okay, not no chance. But the chances of Labour being kicked out at the next election are negligible. There'd have to be the mother of all fuck ups by Labour on education, health, public transport, immigration etc etc for the great unwashed to even consider voting the Conservatives (let's be honest, the only realistic opposition) back into government. They're about as popular as a fart in a lift right now. Hence my view about last thursday being more about getting them out, rather than Labour in.

Not sure that it will. Botched deal with the EU/Brexit, pandemic, war in Ukraine, 3 PM’s - one cosplaying a lettuce - mad schemes, zero governing competence and diseases in the water supply and all in the last five years.

Labour will have to top that and then some to lose a 170 majority in one term. Reduced, yes but not flipped.

Not sure that it will. Botched deal with the EU/Brexit, pandemic, war in Ukraine, 3 PM’s - one cosplaying a lettuce - mad schemes, zero governing competence and diseases in the water supply and all in the last five years.

Labour will have to top that and then some to lose a 170 majority in one term. Reduced, yes but not flipped.
If I were them though, I’d be drilling it into them that it is possible. Keep as many on the straight and narrow as possible and serve the country as best they can.

Obviously power always corrupts and whoever falls into that trap will need binning as soon as they’re found out.

Then they should also have the right not to complain when they don't like a government initiative!! JMHO
I agree unless their preferred political stance isn't represented in their area. Remember though I wasn't replying to someone who said they shouldn't complain.

They wanted them struck off which made me laugh:-)

I agree unless their preferred political stance isn't represented in their area. Remember though I wasn't replying to someone who said they shouldn't complain.

They wanted them struck off which made me laugh:-)
Yes, I was sort of doing an overriding response, not just to yours but (holds hands up) I was being lazy and not looking for the one you were replying to, Sorry. :-)

I did notice on the results when the returning officer was reading out the numbers there seemed to be a lot more 'spoiled papers' this time than usual. Quite a number in the 100s. Although I must admit, much as I love him, I was getting annoyed with Clive Myrie speaking over them when it came to how many were ruined!!

I once did a huge cross right across all candidates in a local election a few years ago because there was only Labour and Tory and I wouldn't vote Tory and the Labour (who was bound to get in it being a Greater Manchester not Salford ward) was a stupid man and very lazy! (IMO) :-)

Just seen that Starmer secured half a million less votes that Corbyn did in 2019! Wow. Despite winning a huge majority it's hardly a ringing endorsement. Our political system is very weird at times.

Just seen that Starmer secured half a million less votes that Corbyn did in 2019! Wow. Despite winning a huge majority it's hardly a ringing endorsement. Our political system is very weird at times.
But, apart from the Reform *washes mouth out* winning seats it worked this time.

Apologies to anyone who voted for the R people but I'm sorry I detest them nearly as much as the Tories...... I used not to let people know who I supported politically but now I'm getting too old to care. *lol*

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.