General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
It's amazing how many people have been converted to PR since July 4.

This is something I predicted. BTW, unless they have supported consistently they are fucking hypocrites. PR in 2019 and we'd have had a second Referendum and probably no Brexit.

That and if we did have PR, it would have been a very different vote share to what happened.

It's amazing how many people have been converted to PR since July 4.

This is something I predicted. BTW, unless they have supported consistently they are fucking hypocrites. PR in 2019 and we'd have had a second Referendum and probably no Brexit.

yeah - when Cameron won an outright majority in 2015 on 36% of the popular vote they were all angry then weren't they?

No to PR. I'm happy to see the Reform voters politically impotent and out in the cold howling at the moon.

Until the Tories moderate or find another convenient political football to lie about (Brexit, "Brown crashing the economy") they won't be back in power for a long while.

No to PR. I'm happy to see the Reform voters politically impotent and out in the cold howling at the moon.

Until the Tories moderate or find another convenient political football to lie about (Brexit, "Brown crashing the economy") they won't be back in power for a long while.
I am still waiting for which type of PR they want.
Do they want "pure proportional representation" and the end of constituency politics, with a committee of the party deciding on who should fill the green benches, with zero input or accountability to the area?
If so, how does this effect Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or indeed the North West, North East, Cornwall, etc

I am still waiting for which type of PR they want.
Do they want "pure proportional representation" and the end of constituency politics, with a committee of the party deciding on who should fill the green benches, with zero input or accountability to the area?
If so, how does this effect Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or indeed the North West, North East, Cornwall, etc

I suppose it would mean reducing representation of the Nations even further.

Which would probably push Northern Ireland towards reunification with the South and kickstart Scottish independence again.

The only type of PR I want is one introduced once Labour has managed to ensure a progressive majority and lock out right wing extremists from power.

As many male members of generation Z have been swept by Andrew Tate and other grifting lunatics I wouldn't take it for granted that votes for 16 and 17 would be good idea.

In order to present the possibility humans not merely positioning themselves in response to how it played out in the latest news cycle, I'll say I was always pro-PR, and I think therefore I ought to keep that position despite it being uncomfortable at this moment.

Otherwise I'm just another person who very much believed in it all the way up to their mid-late forties, only to suddenly decide everything needed to stay exactly as it is.

Last edited:
Fair enough, so where did the votes go then. Labour has a landslide with half a million less votes than Corbyn in 2019. Is this down to voter apathy and a low turnout?
Partly.

Partly it is the result of targeted campaigning. A lot of safe labour constituencies have seen their majorities fall sharply, in part because the local MP wasn’t defending their majority, they were working the Tory marginals they had been sent to. Which in a lot of cases they won. A lot of the seats labour retained in 2019 they did so with huge majorities. So the 2019 vote share, only a shade lower than the 2024 vote share, was a lot less efficient in a first past the post system because it was concentrated into about half the constituencies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.