General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
But, apart from the Reform *washes mouth out* winning seats it worked this time.

Apologies to anyone who voted for the R people but I'm sorry I detest them nearly as much as the Tories...... I used not to let people know who I supported politically but now I'm getting too old to care. *lol*
Starmer actually has to be massively greatful to Farage weirdly. Lol

Just seen that Starmer secured half a million less votes that Corbyn did in 2019! Wow. Despite winning a huge majority it's hardly a ringing endorsement. Our political system is very weird at times.

They clearly weren't targeting a lower vote, but they did target winning seats over winning votes.

And that worked out quite nicely.

Starmer actually has to be massively greatful to Farage weirdly. Lol

That's not actually true.

Only a third of reform voters would have voted Tory. Farage admitted as much before the election, when he said there wouldn't be any pacts, and one reason was that he couldn't "deliver" the Reform vote to the Tories, in the same way that he could the Brexit party vote.

Almost as many Reform voters, said they'd vote Labour/Lib Dem and Green, if no Reform candidate.

If you reallocate them to where they said they'd vote, then, even without tactical voting, Labour still get a majority over 150. If you add in tactical voting, then Labour could potentially have got an even bigger majority without Reform.

Not sure that it will. Botched deal with the EU/Brexit, pandemic, war in Ukraine, 3 PM’s - one cosplaying a lettuce - mad schemes, zero governing competence and diseases in the water supply and all in the last five years.

Labour will have to top that and then some to lose a 170 majority in one term. Reduced, yes but not flipped.
Their vote was 1.7% up on what Corbyn got last time. Starmer has been dealt a spectacularly bad hand in terms of the economy and the relationship with Europe, Ukraine war and farage keeping dinghys in the conversation all present potential banana skins. On top of that is that the population largely voted against the Tories rather than for labour. A precarious position and I think Starmer needs to quickly (or at least during this term) make people feel better off - Interest rates coming down over the next couple of years should help. He also needs to make sure he keeps the economic disaster of the last decade in the public consciousness as a Tory failure - just as the Tories distracted us from their 80s and 90s failings by banging on about 70s labour.

You are not taking into account the significant numbers of voters who are not aligned to one political party and those who vote tactically. It's not like supporting a football team, it can be much more fluid than that. I know a person who was torn between Labour and Green but in the end voted Green because she lives in an ultra safe Labour seat and wanted Greens to take a bigger share of the popular vote. My personal political views are somewhere between Labour and Lib Dem but I voted Labour because Lib Dem would have been a wasted vote in Altrincham and Sale West.
I also know a Labour supporter who voted Lib Dem in his constituency because it would have been a wasted vote otherwise. The key tactic for many voters was simply to get the tories out.
I would have voted for whoever was most likely to win in my constituency other than the Tories or Reform.

You are not taking into account the significant numbers of voters who are not aligned to one political party and those who vote tactically. It's not like supporting a football team, it can be much more fluid than that. I know a person who was torn between Labour and Green but in the end voted Green because she lives in an ultra safe Labour seat and wanted Greens to take a bigger share of the popular vote. My personal political views are somewhere between Labour and Lib Dem but I voted Labour because Lib Dem would have been a wasted vote in Altrincham and Sale West.
I also know a Labour supporter who voted Lib Dem in his constituency because it would have been a wasted vote otherwise. The key tactic for many voters was simply to get the tories out.

Ffs.

That’s like buying Nunes just to get Kalvin Phillips out, mate.

I would have voted for whoever was most likely to win in my constituency other than the Tories or Reform.
It's interesting how many Tories won by a few hundred votes or fewer when there were thousands of LibDem votes in the constituency.

Mel Stride, who as Work & Pensions Secretary made Therese Coffey look like Mother Theresa, won by just 61 votes more than his Labour opponent. Yet over 8,000 people voted for the LibDems, who had no hope of winning.

It's interesting how many Tories won by a few hundred votes or fewer when there were thousands of LibDem votes in the constituency.

Mel Stride, who as Work & Pensions Secretary made Therese Coffey look like Mother Theresa, won by just 61 votes more than his Labour opponent. Yet over 8,000 people voted for the LibDems, who had no hope of winning.
When you combine that with the postal votes scandal it makes you wonder if there will be some legal challenges to the results in close cases

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.