General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 97 62.6%
  • Conservative

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Reform

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Green Party

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters
10% is nuts though, during vietnam, 3,500 out of 570,000 men called up got imprisoned for draft dodging - 0.6% - and that was to actually go fight in Vietnam for 2 years.
I think we are now firmly into the time when the govt realises it's so unlikely to get re-elected and have to deliver that they can say any shit.

Tomorrow is the first day when the National Service Policy meets the atmosphere outside CCHQ and Sunak will have to answer questions on it. From there on in it will fall apart like a cheap suit when questions of cost and how it will work are put to him so hold on to your hats and wait for the next mad policy by Thursday - as previously Monkey Tennis may be next

I’ve just checked on a couple of real estate websites, and in my entire town (which is in Essex) the cheapest property available that isn’t in a retirement residence is a leasehold, single bed flat about 5 miles out of the town centre for £150,000. And my area is more rural than metropolitan. Not that different from parts of Cheshire.

If you manage to get a 90% LTV (unlikely) that’s £15,000 deposit plus a salary of pretty much exactly £30k per year. The average salary for a 22-29 year old according to ONS is £26k, so if you’re earning the average you need a £33k deposit. If you’re earning less you might need £50k.

Given the average person on £26k can save very little, I’d love to know how people expect them to mount up about 1.3x their annual salary in the space of a few years.

Are young people in the south just expected to live some kind of nomadic lifestyle until they hit the lottery finding a cheap house 200 miles from home in Wales or deep Lincolnshire?
Not sure you need to go into such detail, mate, it’s quite obvious that younger people cannot afford to get on the ladder and are being fleeced for standard rental.

I think we are now firmly into the time when the govt realises it's so unlikely to get re-elected and have to deliver that they can say any shit.

Exactly. I said the same thing as soon as they announced it. You can make up any old crazy shit when you know you won’t be in government. It’s like when Corbyn said he was going to nationalise the internet and make it free for everyone.

My dad insists that houses were just as unaffordable in his day.
We did some calculations.
His first home cost 90 weeks of net pay.
90 weeks of net pay at the current UK median salary is 46k.
That house is now 300k.

I don't think people want that much: reasonable pay to afford a reasonable life. If I work full time, I should be able to afford my own place. I should be able to heat it, insure it, buy my groceries, and afford travel to and from work. If I am ill, I should be able to see a doctor, or a dentist. And in my dotage, having paid in all my life, I should be able to retire with enough years left to enjoy and some money in my pocket. I should feel safe. If these are our only objectives, we need to work at the reasons why we are so far adrift from it. Demoralising young people and then trying to solve it with national service is surely the wrong way around.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the first day when the National Service Policy meets the atmosphere outside CCHQ and Sunak will have to answer questions on it. From there on in it will fall apart like a cheap suit when questions of cost and how it will work are put to him so hold on to your hats and wait for the next mad policy by Thursday - as previously Monkey Tennis may be next

Won't there be a Chris Eubank based initiative before we get to monkey tennis? Though in fairness Chris snr has always struck me as too sane to get involved with that lot.

My dad insists that houses were just as unaffordable in his day.
We did some calculations.
His first home cost 90 weeks of net pay.
90 weeks of net pay at the current UK median salary is 46k.
That house is now 300k.

I don't think people want that much: reasonable pay to afford a reasonable life. If I work full time, I should be able to afford my own place. I should be able to heat it, insure it, buy my groceries, and afford travel to and from work. If I am ill, I should be able to see a doctor, or a dentist. And in my dotage, having paid in all my life, I should be able to retire with enough years left to enjoy with some money in my pocket. I should feel safe. If these are our only objectives, we need to work at the reasons why we are so far adrift from it. Demoralising young people and then trying to solve it with national service is surely the wrong way around.

I think the reason we are so far adrift from it, is that whilst what you describe might be the objective for the majority of the population, there is a much smaller percentage for whom accumulation of vast wealth at the expense of others is their main objective. This has probably always been the case; but for decades we have allowed policies and created a culture where this greed and favouring of capital has rolled back the progress we made in the 20th century in creating a more equitable society. Worse than this we've encouraged a culture where those a bit further down the ladder from the super wealthy are also able to exploit their fellow citizens without being viewed as social pariahs.

The groundwork was laid for this in the 1980s and we're now reaping as we sowed. Unless something catastrophic happens to wake us up or people consciously decide that they don't want to live in an increasingly inequitable society I fear little will change. Electoral reform might help a bit but ultimately we need to recognise what type of society we are allowing to be created in our name. Inequality of the type we increasingly tolerate isn't some sort of definitive end point of social Darwinism, it's a cultural choice.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.