General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
Johnson is going to treat a no deal victory for the Commons as a vote of no confidence in the government and call Parliament's bluff by requesting the two thirds majority for a general election.

It looks like a smart move.

But.

This has to have been anticipated, so my guess would be that the no deal motion will have a clause in it stating the government must request and secure an article 50 extension before requesting a general election, if that is passed then Johnson can request a general election all he likes, but Parliament won't give it to him because he's not done as they instructed on article 50. Johnson will refuse to extend article 50 and so the Commons will have had its hand "forced" and will bring down the government with a no confidence vote and it's hello interim government.
There’s always the possibility of Johnson tabling a motion of no confidence in his own government, with the Tories abstaining. It would be surreal but isn’t everything at the moment?

It seems that they’ve given up on the idea of forming an interim government. Too difficult to force Johnson out and agree who would be interim PM before time runs out.

I'd love it more if it came from someone who would actually be impacted by such changes ;-)

It's very, very easy to advocate (for example) increased spending on the NHS, if you are not the one who will be paying for it. Come to think of it, Labour supporters have for years been advocating increased spending paid for by "other people" for years, so I don't supposed I should be surprised.

Is that like when those on 80k plus tell us a Corbyn govt would be terrible whilst saying we must tighten our belts... and vote for bedroom taxes, cuts to benefits and cut public funding?

The fly in that ointment is who would lead it? I maintain that Corbyn is just too unpopular to ever command a majority in such circumstances. He's the devil incarnate as far as most (all?) Tories are concerned. But Labour could hardly suggest someone like Kier Starmer, since proposing him (or any other Labour MP actually) would effectively mean the end of Jeremy Corbyn. It would be an admission that you had the wrong man at the helm, someone who could not and should not be leading the Labour party. I just cannot see any way in which Labour rally round someone other than Jeremy Corbyn, and I cannot see him ever getting the cross-party support.

And on the Tories' side, who could do it? Ken Clarke? Really? Can you see a load of Labour MPs backing Ken Clarke? I dunno, I just can't see it myself.

But who knows? I love the quote "Anyone who tells you they know what's going on, hasn't been paying attention."
Parliamentary Labour Party isn't where Jeremy has his support - struggled to even get enough nominations to stand in their leadership contest.
Interim government could elect a PM who could appeal to enough MPs to be viable.

Boris will do everything he can to get a GE now as it's his best chance of winning, i.e. the "not Corbyn" ticket. He will portray it as Boris versus Corbyn, as people's champion fighting for democracy, as action man getting things done.
Blair is right.

There’s always the possibility of Johnson tabling a motion of no confidence in his own government, with the Tories abstaining. It would be surreal but isn’t everything at the moment?

It seems that they’ve given up on the idea of forming an interim government. Too difficult to force Johnson out and agree who would be interim PM before time runs out.

Things are moving very fast, there's no precedent for this shit and you're right, it all seems a bit surreal.

They bear all the hallmarks of someone hell bent on delivering what the electorate voted for. I can imagine theirs a good 17m people who think "about time somone did".

I'm still waiting to hear what his neo-Hitler policies are going to be however. He's never shown any far-right tendencies in all his years as a politician.
Gove refused to confirm they would respect any legislation passed to block no deal is a good starter for ten.

If the Commons force an extension, apparently it needs full consent of all EU members. Boris could nip to Brussels and do that veto thingy, which would be a laugh.
(Something I read today;)

Johnson is going to make a statement outside No 10 at 6pm.

There are only between 12-16 Tories who'll vote down no deal, it's too tight to call, Johnson will try to entice a few back tonight, he might succeed, either way he'll crack off a few opening shots in a general election campaign.

If I were a gambling man I'd put my money on leaving 31st October with no deal.

Agree it will be opening salvo in a GE campaign.

I’ll put my money on Parliament blocking no deal and forcing an A50 extension and Johnson asks the House to vote for a GE.

It will be another hung Parliament.

Yay.

Is that like when those on 80k plus tell us a Corbyn govt would be terrible whilst saying we must tighten our belts... and vote for bedroom taxes, cuts to benefits and cut public funding?
You just can't shame these fuckers can you. The party that brought us brexit courtesy of an election bribe, the party that kills people with its austerity program, the party that votes to oppose landlords having to have their properties fit for human habitation and they still deflect to labour. It's all about business, people don't matter, fuck them.

No, not really.

Parliamentary Labour Party isn't where Jeremy has his support - struggled to even get enough nominations to stand in their leadership contest.
Interim government could elect a PM who could appeal to enough MPs to be viable.

Boris will do everything he can to get a GE now as it's his best chance of winning, i.e. the "not Corbyn" ticket. He will portray it as Boris versus Corbyn, as people's champion fighting for democracy, as action man getting things done.
Blair is right.

I agree Blair is right. I also agree with your point about the PLP, but they've failed to oust him twice so I don't see them having the balls to push him aside this time.

Agree it will be opening salvo in a GE campaign.

I’ll put my money on Parliament blocking no deal and forcing an A50 extension and Johnson asks the House to vote for a GE.

It will be another hung Parliament.

Yay.
Doubt it, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I'm all a tremble.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.