General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
When we are talking the odd seat here or there, whether the government has a majority or not, is a bit irrelevant to be honest.

The can continue to be the government for so long as they are either unchallenged or can survive a confidence vote. And in such a vote, who knows who the various waiverers would actually vote. Or how the Labour party would vote, for that matter.

And here he is doing it....

The Tory Philip Lee has just issued this statement about his defection to the Lib Dems.

Over 27 years ago I joined the Conservative & Unionist party led by Sir John Major. Since 2010 I have had the privilege of representing the Bracknell Constituency. The party I joined in 1992 is not the party I am leaving today.

This Conservative government is aggressively pursuing a damaging
Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom. More widely, it is undermining our country’s economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way.

That is why today I am joining Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats. I believe the Liberal Democrats are best placed to build the unifying and inspiring political force needed to heal our divisions, unleash our talents, equip us to take the opportunities and overcome the challenges that we face as a society - and leave our country and our world in a better place for the next generations.

The one nation Tories need to get their act together or there'll be no act left, just neoliberal odd balls and lunatics.

Bracknell voted Leave, with more than 76 per cent of people turning out to vote.
He will lose his seat in a GE.

When we are talking the odd seat here or there, whether the government has a majority or not, is a bit irrelevant to be honest.

The can continue to be the government for so long as they are either unchallenged or can survive a confidence vote. And in such a vote, who knows who the various waiverers would actually vote. Or how the Labour party would vote, for that matter.
I'd have to disagree with the idea that a government losing its majority can ever be considered 'irrelevant'

It's not a binary.

Politics is at a low ebb, not least because of the turgid personalities which seem to be endemic. And the country is clearly suffering from impaired public services after a long period of constrained public spending. (No need to get into any debate about whether this was necessary or not. I happen to believe it was necessary, but that is not the point, it's happened.)

But if the economy continues to grow and as we continue to get debt under control, there is more room for public spending and the plight of the less-well-off will improve, and attitudes will change.

Is "the system" structurally broken? No. Would replacing it with some neo-communist ideal a la McDonnell, improve things? Categorically not. There might be some very short term uplift for the poorest whilst he went on his tax and spend spree, but it would be unsustainable and would utlimately make EVERYONE worse off, with the poor feeling it the most. More people unemployed and even worse public services. How anyone can look at nations like Russia and think "yes please, I want some of that" is quite beyond me.
Like i said, I'm not getting in the middle of this. I'm not advocating replace your current political system with communism.
I'm just saying something needs changing when you look at the current mess.

Depends how you count Kate Hoey. She is basically UKIP, identifies as Labour and votes with Tories. With her; Tories + DUP + KH = a majority of 1.
True but then you have the likes of Grieve and Ken Clarke to shift the pendulum back the other way. Hoey's standing down as Labour candidate at the next election too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.