General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny how some on here deride the left regardless of what corbyn promises then accuse others of being brainwashed!
Pretty sure that's a one way street and that it's aimed at those on the right.

Just shows you'll only see what you want to see I guess.

Has may met any real people yet? Maybe to explain why she has adopted a labour policy which she was against a few years ago. The daily mail crew wont worry of course, its tory at any cost as bill states. Its funny how some on here deride the left regardless of what corbyn promises then accuse others of being brainwashed!
I am probably in a small minority - but I see this as a positive thing - whether it is being done by the Tories of the Labour Party

In politics everything seems to be stupidly 'tribal'.

Surely it is only sensible that both parties - indeed any party really - must bring forward good / useful policies and ideas? Why on earth should they be considered out of bounds and dirty just because of a 'not made here' attitude? Sounds a bit childish to me.

I am not specifically thinking about the merits of this specific policy - I really mean in general.

I also probably have a different view to most on where May is going with this GE and in general.

Yes - of course I agree that it is just too good an opportunity to miss etc. - yes she need the extra time 5 years from now provides and the mandate for negotiations

But in the same way that Corbyn is dragging Labour to the left - and fair play to him - I think that May is going to drag the Tories into the centre ground and steal all that ground - I think that she could be in power for a good while.

I am probably in a small minority - but I see this as a positive thing - whether it is being done by the Tories of the Labour Party

In politics everything seems to be stupidly 'tribal'.

Surely it is only sensible that both parties - indeed any party really - must bring forward good / useful policies and ideas? Why on earth should they be considered out of bounds and dirty just because of a 'not made here' attitude? Sounds a bit childish to me.

I am not specifically thinking about the merits of this specific policy - I really mean in general.

I also probably have a different view to most on where May is going with this GE and in general.

Yes - of course I agree that it is just too good an opportunity to miss etc. - yes she need the extra time 5 years from now provides and the mandate for negotiations

But in the same way that Corbyn is dragging Labour to the left - and fair play to him - I think that May is going to drag the Tories into the centre ground and steal all that ground - I think that she could be in power for a good while.

I disagree. I think that May is going to go as right of centre as possible whilst remaining more central than Labour to the average voter, in order to completely cement the UKIP vote. IMO, the Labour party needs to split to provide a real centrist option. That said, most of the New Labour MPs are very pro Europe, so they'd probably feel quite at home with the Lib Dems.

On another note, it's astounding how many of UKIP's 2015 manifesto ideas are now being promoted by at least one major party. Leaving the EU, grammar schools, more front line police, etc.

Has may met any real people yet? Maybe to explain why she has adopted a labour policy which she was against a few years ago. The daily mail crew wont worry of course, its tory at any cost as bill states. Its funny how some on here deride the left regardless of what corbyn promises then accuse others of being brainwashed!

Have you thought of just changing your user name to......

'I hate Tories '

It would save you typing the same stuff over and over in any thread like this. Save you hours of time.

• "yes the rich pay more direct tax, but when you factor inderect tax it is the poorest in society who ultimately pay more in ratio to pay and cost of living"
That's the heart of it. Proportionate to income, you pay less tax as you get richer.

Yet "the politics of envy" is thrown at those who challenge the rich paying themselves more. Remarkably, the right wing media have managed to create a politics of envy where people on middle income ("hardworking families") are supposed to envy the poor on benefits.

Part of Brexit as well, envying the bail outs for Greece and not seeing that if net gainer countries improve their economies because of EU investment they move to net contributors and more people find employment at home and don't come here for jobs (and pay taxes).

• "yes the rich pay more direct tax, but when you factor inderect tax it is the poorest in society who ultimately pay more in ratio to pay and cost of living"
That's the heart of it. Proportionate to income, you pay less tax as you get richer.

Yet "the politics of envy" is thrown at those who challenge the rich paying themselves more. Remarkably, the right wing media have managed to create a politics of envy where people on middle income ("hardworking families") are supposed to envy the poor on benefits.

Part of Brexit as well, envying the bail outs for Greece and not seeing that if net gainer countries improve their economies because of EU investment they move to net contributors and more people find employment at home and don't come here for jobs (and pay taxes).

The more you earn the higher rate of tax proportionately you will pay in percentage terms out of your salary and the more actual tax you will pay in £ notes.

As for indirect tax the ratio is entirely the same whether rich or poor. It's not less. It's not less it's 20 percent of whatever you spend on vatable goods. In actual monetary terms assume you would accept that those who will be spending more will be those who have more money so in monetary terms again the rich pay more indirect tax in £ notes terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.