General / Mental Health Support Thread

I’ve been on 20mg of Citalopram since March 2020.

I’m due back in hospital on a week Monday to get my bowel put back together after my cancer scare in 2022. I was seriously suicidal for 3 / 4 nights after they told me what I had. I can’t wait to lose the colostomy bag.

The positive I do have is that it’s changed me. I care about very little now and do what I can to enjoy life.

I've had anxiety issues since I was a toddler.
Not sure if it is nature or nurture because there were certainly issues in my childhood with my mother being ill, but also because all the women in my family seem to have it.

It's insidious, and I sometimes wonder if it had been better to just be up and down with mental health issues. Not that I'd want that, but with low grade anxiety I think you just get on with it without seeking help.

I’m due back in hospital on a week Monday to get my bowel put back together after my cancer scare in 2022. I was seriously suicidal for 3 / 4 nights after they told me what I had. I can’t wait to lose the colostomy bag.

The positive I do have is that it’s changed me. I care about very little now and do what I can to enjoy life.
Hope everything goes well, mate!

And glad that you were able to get through that terrible initial period. I have been there and have to credit my family and friends for dragging me out.

I've had anxiety issues since I was a toddler.
Not sure if it is nature or nurture because there were certainly issues in my childhood with my mother being ill, but also because all the women in my family seem to have it.

It's insidious, and I sometimes wonder if it had been better to just be up and down with mental health issues. Not that I'd want that, but with low grade anxiety I think you just get on with it without seeking help.
Women bear so much of the family/generational trauma, it is amazing how most are able to function even despite often suffering from anxiety and depression.

It really shouldn’t be necessary for them to simply power through it all but many a family have relied on their immense strength to avoid complete discombobulation.

It’s the strange contradiction that persists: women are usually considered the more “emotional” sex, with men usually being considered more “stoic”, when in reality, women are often forced to suppress their emotions—and provide an anchoring presence—more than men for the good of both men and their children.

Obviously every family is different, and gender roles vary within them and broader cultures, but I do think this contradiction holds true in aggregate across most cultures.

Thanks for your reply.
And I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.

My Gran's sister Mabel died aged 24, in childbirth. Her parents were devastated. She was their eldest.
Her father collapsed and, by all accounts, didn't even make it to Mabel's funeral. Her mother carried on, and arranged everything. She never faltered during that time, by all accounts.
10 years later and the mother was an alcoholic and the father had, seemingly, worked through it and was there for the younger children in a way his wife wasn't.
Begs the question ......which one was the strongest?

I think they were both "strong" in their own way, and dealt with it as best they could.
I'm not a big fan of stereotyping though. People are much more complex.
Absolutely agree. My comments were not meant to stereotype but rather to highlight what I see as a fallacy that is pervasive across most cultures. It is a problem that leads to stereotyping both women and men.

Think I’ve said on here before had 34cms of my bowel removed back in 2014 due to a blockage. Still to this day don’t know what caused it. Think it was stress? Not a pleasant experience at all but you’ve been through it. Hope all goes well pal

Think I’ve said on here before had 34cms of my bowel removed back in 2014 due to a blockage. Still to this day don’t know what caused it. Think it was stress? Not a pleasant experience at all but you’ve been through it. Hope all goes well pal
It can be genetic. My grandad and dad died of bowel cancer so it inevitably came down the male line after me.

Whilst they didn’t tell me to, I’ve converted to vegetarianism to ensure I eat properly. I’m on my own and would never bother making food etc. Now I do.

I’m a big believer of healthy body healthy mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.