General / Mental Health Support Thread

Opening up a bit here, but I am diagnosed schizophrenic (I never hear voices or anything like that touch wood, it's more a difference in how the brain operates). I was sectioned age 19 when my issues were really taking off (this was in 2001).

For a long time I didn't wanna live. Severe body image issues that weren't addressed (and still aren't really addressed to this day) and I never really learned how to 'live life'. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, I have never gone clubbing or anything. My main social outlet has been playing football as an adult since 2002, where I have met some great people and friends.

In 2016 I started a depot injection. It has been a long road to recovery and isn't a magic pill, but the depot has really taken away a lot of my suicidal and negative thinking. Now I can enjoy things without depression getting in the way, and I have a new lease on life whereby I want to live and enjoy the simple things others do - (football, films, sunrises, going walks on beautiful days etc). In the past I was far too caught up in my problems and let life and my youth slip away a lot, which I really regret.

The only side effects to the depot are some physical aspects, such as a bit of weight gain. There's maybe some long term issues in terms of brain alterations too. But I am willing to work a bit harder to stay in physical fitness if my mental fitness is better. I couldn't have gone on the way I was - I hated waking up every day for many years even if I could block it out sometimes. I was on olanzapine but very bad at taking it every day, so the depot (clopixol, a different med) has worked wonders for me as it is a slow release and I don't have to think about it for another four weeks (I am on a pretty low, infrequent dose, and that seems to keep me well so far).

My point is that I understand why some people get very down and struggle with mental health issues. I am not saying anything new, but in this world we are taught to hold our emotions in and not talk about them, and treated like robots who just exist to work, eat and sleep (and especially for men, though not to downplay women's struggles at all).

People need to know that they have intrinsic value themselves as a person. There are some arseholes out there - that is unavoidable. But generally, if you are a good and kind and caring person people will respond to that. In my experience, some people can also sense when someone is struggling, though others are oblivious as many people with depression and anxiety try to hide it. There's nothing to be ashamed about - the human brain is very complex so it's normal that one small thing can cause brain chemistry to alter and people to hence have mental health difficulties.

if anyone is reading this and struggling, or too scared to speak out - please don't be. As someone who is in the mental health service, they really do want to help (maybe I am just lucky with my team), even if they are stretched to the limit. Having someone to talk to (whether it's a professional or a friend) is very therapeutic and will make you feel a whole lot better - it sounds cliche but it's true.

Ultimately our brain is a complicated organ. So much can make it malfunction or cause us to have mental health problems. If you are finding life a struggle or not enjoying it, please seek some help or assistance, because I speak from first-hand experience that there's nothing quite like waking up and wanting to wake up, and enjoying the small things in life. Yes, I still have my issues especially in terms of self-esteem etc, but I have learned to put them in better perspective now and I think that's only been possible thanks to my depot and talking to others.

Believe me, I was as messed up as it's possible to be, and I have 80 percent come through the other side and found meaning in life again. You can too.

Apologies for the long post.

Opening up a bit here, but I am diagnosed schizophrenic (I never hear voices or anything like that touch wood, it's more a difference in how the brain operates). I was sectioned age 19 when my issues were really taking off (this was in 2001).

For a long time I didn't wanna live. Severe body image issues that weren't addressed (and still aren't really addressed to this day) and I never really learned how to 'live life'. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, I have never gone clubbing or anything. My main social outlet has been playing football as an adult since 2002, where I have met some great people and friends.

In 2016 I started a depot injection. It has been a long road to recovery and isn't a magic pill, but the depot has really taken away a lot of my suicidal and negative thinking. Now I can enjoy things without depression getting in the way, and I have a new lease on life whereby I want to live and enjoy the simple things others do - (football, films, sunrises, going walks on beautiful days etc). In the past I was far too caught up in my problems and let life and my youth slip away a lot, which I really regret.

The only side effects to the depot are some physical aspects, such as a bit of weight gain. There's maybe some long term issues in terms of brain alterations too. But I am willing to work a bit harder to stay in physical fitness if my mental fitness is better. I couldn't have gone on the way I was - I hated waking up every day for many years even if I could block it out sometimes. I was on olanzapine but very bad at taking it every day, so the depot (clopixol, a different med) has worked wonders for me as it is a slow release and I don't have to think about it for another four weeks (I am on a pretty low, infrequent dose, and that seems to keep me well so far).

My point is that I understand why some people get very down and struggle with mental health issues. I am not saying anything new, but in this world we are taught to hold our emotions in and not talk about them, and treated like robots who just exist to work, eat and sleep (and especially for men, though not to downplay women's struggles at all).

People need to know that they have intrinsic value themselves as a person. There are some arseholes out there - that is unavoidable. But generally, if you are a good and kind and caring person people will respond to that. In my experience, some people can also sense when someone is struggling, though others are oblivious as many people with depression and anxiety try to hide it. There's nothing to be ashamed about - the human brain is very complex so it's normal that one small thing can cause brain chemistry to alter and people to hence have mental health difficulties.

if anyone is reading this and struggling, or too scared to speak out - please don't be. As someone who is in the mental health service, they really do want to help (maybe I am just lucky with my team), even if they are stretched to the limit. Having someone to talk to (whether it's a professional or a friend) is very therapeutic and will make you feel a whole lot better - it sounds cliche but it's true.

Ultimately our brain is a complicated organ. So much can make it malfunction or cause us to have mental health problems. If you are finding life a struggle or not enjoying it, please seek some help or assistance, because I speak from first-hand experience that there's nothing quite like waking up and wanting to wake up, and enjoying the small things in life. Yes, I still have my issues especially in terms of self-esteem etc, but I have learned to put them in better perspective now and I think that's only been possible thanks to my depot and talking to others.

Believe me, I was as messed up as it's possible to be, and I have 80 percent come through the other side and found meaning in life again. You can too.

Thank you for sharing!

Good luck on road ahead mate

Thank you for your valuable post.
I have never heard of depot injection so I'm off to Google it.

Thanks to you guys (or girls).

A depot injection is just a slow release injection. I am on a low dose, but it's essentially for people like me who weren't disciplined enough to take meds each day.

It's a bloody slog at times being a parent. Especially when there's only yourself (there's only ever been me, unfortunately).
When your child gets ill it doesn't matter how old they are, you still worry yourself to the point of exhaustion. So I completely empathize with your own situation, and I hope it's getting better for you.
My lad might be coming back to England. He suggested it in a message yesterday. It had to come from him though, rather than me.
I'm pleased he is looking at different options, and I don't know how we will cope with him living in my tiny flat. But we will if needs be.
You will love him being home even if it’s a tiny flat, having your son home there with you, you can talk find out if he feels a bit better health wise.
Now we’ve got a new government I’m hoping the health service gets better. The doctors have a decent rise and as it’s a four year wait for some mental health appointments very hard for parents trying to cope alone.
I don’t know who said it maybe “the health minister” to much money is being spent on prevention and not enough on actual illness or curing people. There should be a balance

Check in on your friends. I didn’t like the tone of the last few messages from one of mine so I rang him last night. We’ve the kind of friendship where we can be very blunt with each other so I told him to come straight out with it.

In essence, he’s fine but just a bit down. I’m seeing him Friday when I come over to Manchester.

I'm sadly on the blunt end of trying to get treatment on the NHS. I've been here before, experienced the frustration and wait, but this time I'm in constant pain.

I've torn the lining of my hip and some other stuff, 5 weeks ago, and as I can still physically walk (not far!) and I'm still able to sleep some hours at night, I'm not priority in any way.

Thing is, my referral is going to take 6 months and the required operation another 6, with 9 months recovery- even then i might get rejected by this particular consultant and have to start again!!

I'm in pain, all the time. I've gone from exercising 4 or 5 times a week to zero. I'm angry, frustrated, down, it's fucking mental how I might not even get required treatment for a year. I can't do this for a year. I might financially ruin myself and just do it privately.

How does the UK have a health system like this. How have we allowed it to come to this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.