General Videogame Thread

I know many of us will have played Jimmy White's Whirwind Snooker and IK+ during our formative years, so it's sad to bring you the news that Archer Maclean has died, aged 60. One of the great solo games creators/coders.

That is sad news, thank you for posting it - I didn't know.

I used to have a pool game he created called Vitua Pool (I think) on Playstation 2, it played beautifully. Nowadays teams of many people make games, but back in the day sometimes it was just one talented person doing everything.

I loved The Artful Escape. One of the best atmospheres in any game I've played. I got totally absorbed into it.
Just finished The Artful Escape. Not at all what I expected, you basically just walk and hold square all game, but I absolutely loved it!

Moving on to stray next I think, then I can feel like I've got my ps plus value for the year and move on.

Although the PC keeps calling me back... Not had a game of Stellaris for a while, last time around my species proclaimed a lovecraftian eldritch space horror as their god and went on a rampage around the galaxy.

Just finished The Artful Escape. Not at all what I expected, you basically just walk and hold square all game, but I absolutely loved it!

Moving on to stray next I think, then I can feel like I've got my ps plus value for the year and move on.

Although the PC keeps calling me back... Not had a game of Stellaris for a while, last time around my species proclaimed a lovecraftian eldritch space horror as their god and went on a rampage around the galaxy.
Yes, Stray is decent as well. Just bear in mind that it's a budget game so isn't as polished as many. It's worth a play though.

Playing MW2 online and it is laggy. My MPs is 79.

So is this me or the MW2 servers causing the lag?
Sound like it might be your internet. Maybe try a reboot of the router. Typically on the Xbox Series X we get about 24ms max, normally in the 10s of ms. Haven’t got fibre to home yet, just normal fibre to the cabinet.

Sound like it might be your internet. Maybe try a reboot of the router. Typically on the Xbox Series X we get about 24ms max, normally in the 10s of ms. Haven’t got fibre to home yet, just normal fibre to the cabinet.

Cheers mate. I installed a new router on Saturday. Apparently it can take up to 10 days to achieve optimum speed consistently and until then the speed can fluctuate. Not sure how true that is we shall see, my old router was absolutely fine and never had issues playing online. Regretting installing it but sky sent me the new router and were going to fine me if I didn't send the old one back.

Cheers mate. I installed a new router on Saturday. Apparently it can take up to 10 days to achieve optimum speed consistently and until then the speed can fluctuate. Not sure how true that is we shall see, my old router was absolutely fine and never had issues playing online. Regretting installing it but sky sent me the new router and were going to fine me if I didn't send the old one back.
Shouldn’t take that long (regardless of what BT say) unless you’re in the arse end of nowhere. A couple of days is normally enough for the local cabinet and router to determine your highest stable connection speed with an acceptable error rate.

Other things which might improve your connection -

Give your gaming device a fixed IP address in your router. Normally under advanced settings in the router, you can see what’s connected. Identify your gaming kit and set the IP to be fixed rather than dynamically allocated.

If you are connecting using WiFi rather than wired, the high ping times may be due to local interference from other routers in nearby houses. Most modern routers have a WPS button which will scan the Wi-Fi channels and select a quieter band. I would recommend that you do this in the evening when lots of people are at home as it will be worst case.

Don’t know what platform you are using (Xbox, PS5, PC) but if your NAT (Network Address Translation) is strict then that can also cause issues. The fix is to open the ports by changing the port forwarding settings on the router. Loads of guides online how to do this depending on the platform you are gaming on.

Hope that helps.

Shouldn’t take that long (regardless of what BT say) unless you’re in the arse end of nowhere. A couple of days is normally enough for the local cabinet and router to determine your highest stable connection speed with an acceptable error rate.

Other things which might improve your connection -

Give your gaming device a fixed IP address in your router. Normally under advanced settings in the router, you can see what’s connected. Identify your gaming kit and set the IP to be fixed rather than dynamically allocated.

If you are connecting using WiFi rather than wired, the high ping times may be due to local interference from other routers in nearby houses. Most modern routers have a WPS button which will scan the Wi-Fi channels and select a quieter band. I would recommend that you do this in the evening when lots of people are at home as it will be worst case.

Don’t know what platform you are using (Xbox, PS5, PC) but if your NAT (Network Address Translation) is strict then that can also cause issues. The fix is to open the ports by changing the port forwarding settings on the router. Loads of guides online how to do this depending on the platform you are gaming on.

Hope that helps.
Thabks for the help pal, I really appreciate it. I will give those tips a try tonight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.