General Videogame Thread

Not all Xbox X/S games are just upscaled xbox one games. The majority of new games coming out for Xbox and all first-party games are being made specifically with the Series X/S in mind.

Games like Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite will be in native 4K with ray-tracing and running up to 120FPS if you have the right TV

Stuff like that is absolutely not possible in the last generation of consoles. Games like Watch Dogs Leigon and Assassins Creed Valhalla have recently been upgraded by Ubisoft to run 4K 60 FPS with ray tracing. Bethesda have just also upgraded Doom Eternal to run at 4K up to 120FPS

The Series X actually improves nearly every xbox one game no matter what generation and I'm talking about the original xbox games from 2001 to 360 and xbox one games. Either the frame rate will be improved or graphics or even adding HDR to games, so long as the original publisher give their approval, Microsoft will enhance the game if they can

I don't question anything you say but a significant issue that developers have is that they are under pressure to make games that use this technology - and its hard. The time to develop the games and de bug them has in parts ground the industry to a halt.

The big players are the console manufactures and they want to push the new tech and they are forcing the game developers to make ever more complex games that are a clear step up in performance. But there is a knock on with the development time that is now crazy long - and this is not consumer driven demand. Only a small number of gamers want the supper advanced techy stuff. Kids are happy on Roblox and Minecraft. My son is playing a lot of Dark Souls - that is a 2011 era game, remastered to PS4 / Xbox one levels of tech.

Ok - this is for people into ‘computer golf’ so if you aren’t just don’t bother!

Its a sad/happy story with a question at the end…..

So I have always enjoyed computer golf, started on Leaderboard in the late 80s and then a brilliant one - just called ‘Golf’ I think on Atari ST (graphics were crude, but physics were spot on, I haven’t played it recently, obviously, but I bet it would still stand up well even alongside modern games in terms of the physics).

Next, in the 90s, Actua Golf on the 1st Playstation and of course Everybody’s Golf - which is still around… cartoony graphics but a solid golf game underneath. I haven’t played any of the Mario Golf games, but I believe the same applies to them.

Onto Playstaion 3 next and the Tiger Woods games - TW 12 was good - it had Augusta and worked well with PS Move controls - I also had a go on the Wii Sports Golf around this time, but in my opinion PS Move was better than the Wii for motion controls. Tiger Woods 14 was probably the best in that generation. I think it was also around that time I was playing Pangya Golf on PC - online was the big draw of that game.

I was having a big dilemma though, games had around this time been moving towards analogue stick movement for shots and away from click-click-click. I mean the full swing style on the Wii is fun, for a bit, but its a bit too much exercise sometimes.

Most still offered the option - analogue or ‘traditional’, but when they stopped doing so, well it was back to Everybody’s Golf for me (which always stuck with the 3-click method) I suppose after years of ‘clicking’ it was difficult to change.

Anyway, about two years ago I decided I really had to adapt. I understood the successor to the Tiger Woods games was ‘The Golf Club’ and ‘The Golf Club II’ on PS4 and Xbox One. I eventually got the third in the series called The Golf Club 2019 and I have played it on and off since, finally becoming adept at the ‘modern’ flick to swing method. I have a zero handicap and can play most courses at around level par. Online is okish, the only problem I have found online: it is restricted to just a few of the easier courses and annoyingly if I am losing I will play the game through, but if I find myself a hole or a couple of holes ahead - the live opponent will often just leave the match. However, there is the option to play against ‘ghosts’ which is similar to live golf - but on any course and the ghosts never leave!!

The very best games though were on the Golf Club 2019 playing ‘alternate shots’ with 3 other humans - online. It is the only time I have ‘copied’ my teenage son, controller in hand, headset and mic, very modern! Fun golf - good chat between people all around the world and often close exciting matches too - with 4 players in 2 ‘teams’ people don’t just go when they are losing. But in the last nine months or so its been impossible to find 3 people online to play that format…. I assumed due to the release of PGA Tour 2k21 which is essentially The Golf Club 4 or Tiger Woods god knows what number…

I saw it in a shop cheapish a few days ago and thought, time to move on, yet again.

And what a disappointment.

First of all I haven’t taken it online yet, I dare not till I break 100!

It is just so difficult!

The presentation is great (annoying to have to learn new buttons for most tasks but I’ve now done that) the graphics in-game are marginally better, but not so as you would know, however it is the swing mechanics that have caused me much grief.

Take a driver & it goes sailing off 300+ yards. Next hole, exactly the same thumb movement and it goes 160 yards like a Roberto Carlos freekick & often into water… I repeat, it is the same thumb movement.

Even worse, when just off the green it is a nightmare. The standard shot with the setup unchanged always lands way short. If you then change to say a sandwedge the aimer is like 40 yards over the green, switch back to lob wedge its aiming 20 yards past the green - this can’t be correct, why was it not picked up in beta testing or corrected via an update? this game is now almost a year since release.

From a bunker you have to setup the shot in advance with the aimer and the power slider, you can’t just think oh this needs half-power and play the shot that way, it just stays in the sand if you do.

Basically, I was not having much fun. To progress through the PGA Tour you have to score around par, I’m shooting 20+ and its not getting better - I have been off work so I have put in the time, this is not an ‘instant’ moan - I have been playing it for almost a two weeks.

Then I remembered, unlike the 2019 game, at the start I was offered various difficulty settings. Due to playing the previous game I chose Pro, but I have changed that to Amature and guess what - it is fine. Well it plays exactly like the 2019 game… So basically on Pro its as tough as real golf and not much fun, but on amature its too easy.

Now - here is the question: if I get some Xbox Live Gold credit to take it online does the game match up amature level players with other amatures? (and pros with pros) does anyone know?

Are there any other computer golf people on here!

Ok - this is for people into ‘computer golf’ so if you aren’t just don’t bother!

So I have always enjoyed computer golf, started on Leaderboard in the late 80s and then a brilliant one - just called ‘Golf’ I think on Atari ST (graphics were crude, but physics were spot on, I haven’t played it recently, obviously, but I bet it would still stand up well even alongside modern games in terms of the physics).

Next, in the 90s, Actua Golf on the 1st Playstation and of course Everybody’s Golf - which is still around… cartoony graphics but a solid golf game underneath. I haven’t played any of the Mario Golf games, but I believe the same applies to them.

Onto Playstaion 3 next and the Tiger Woods games - TW 12 was good - it had Augusta and worked well with PS Move controls - I also had a go on the Wii Sports Golf around this time, but in my opinion PS Move was better than the Wii for motion controls. Tiger Woods 14 was probably the best in that generation. I think it was also around that time I was playing Pangya Golf on PC - online was the big draw of that game.

I was having a big dilemma though, games had around this time been moving towards analogue stick movement for shots and away from click-click-click. I mean the full swing style on the Wii is fun, for a bit, but its a bit too much exercise sometimes.

Most still offered the option - analogue or ‘traditional’, but when they stopped doing so, well it was back to Everybody’s Golf for me (which always stuck with the 3-click method) I suppose after years of ‘clicking’ it was difficult to change.

Anyway, about two years ago I decided I really had to adapt. I understood the successor to the Tiger Woods games was ‘The Golf Club’ and ‘The Golf Club II’ on PS4 and Xbox One. I eventually got the third in the series called The Golf Club 2019 and I have played it on and off since, finally becoming adept at the ‘modern’ flick to swing method. I have a zero handicap and can play most courses at around level par. Online is okish, the only problem I have found online: it is restricted to just a few of the easier courses and annoyingly if I am losing I will play the game through, but if I find myself a hole or a couple of holes ahead - the live opponent will often just leave the match. However, there is the option to play against ‘ghosts’ which is similar to live golf - but on any course and the ghosts never leave!!

The very best games though were on the Golf Club 2019 playing ‘alternate shots’ with 3 other humans - online. It is the only time I have ‘copied’ my teenage son, controller in hand, headset and mic, very modern! Fun golf - good chat between people all around the world and often close exciting matches too - with 4 players in 2 ‘teams’ people don’t just go when they are losing. But in the last nine months or so its been impossible to find 3 people online to play that format…. I assumed due to the release of PGA Tour 2k21 which is essentially The Golf Club 4 or Tiger Woods god knows what number…

I saw it in a shop cheapish a few days ago and thought, time to move on, yet again.

It is just so difficult!

The presentation is great (annoying to have to learn new buttons for most tasks but I’ve now done that) the graphics in-game are marginally better, but not so as you would know, however it is the swing mechanics that have caused me much grief.

Take a driver & it goes sailing off 300+ yards. Next hole, exactly the same thumb movement and it goes 160 yards like a Roberto Carlos freekick & often into water… I repeat, it is the same thumb movement.

Even worse, when just off the green it is a nightmare. The standard shot with the setup unchanged always lands way short. If you then change to say a sandwedge the aimer is like 40 yards over the green, switch back to lob wedge its aiming 20 yards past the green - this can’t be correct, why was it not picked up in beta testing or corrected via an update? this game is now almost a year since release.

From a bunker you have to setup the shot in advance with the aimer and the power slider, you can’t just think oh this needs half-power and play the shot that way, it just stays in the sand if you do.

Basically, I was not having much fun. To progress through the PGA Tour you have to score around par, I’m shooting 20+ and its not getting better - I have been off work so I have put in the time, this is not an ‘instant’ moan - I have been playing it for almost a two weeks.

Then I remembered, unlike the 2019 game, at the start I was offered various difficulty settings. Due to playing the previous game I chose Pro, but I have changed that to Amature and guess what - it is fine. Well it plays exactly like the 2019 game… So basically on Pro its as tough as real golf and not much fun, but on amature its too easy.

Now - here is the question: if I get some Xbox Live Gold credit to take it online does the game match up amature level players with other amatures? (and pros with pros) does anyone know?

2k21 is a strange beast. I started off much like yourself and couldn't understand why the same movements varied so much (using pro). I I found I had to sit in a certain position to do it but then it all just clicked somehow. I found more of an arm movement than a thumb movement kept it straight.

Also around the green, ignore the chipping as it's garbage. Take out your your shortest club and flop shot it straight at the hole (or a foot or 2 past) with a bit of backspin. So much for realism.

Great game once it works for you though. Particularly with alternate shots on house on the hill with mates.

2k21 is a strange beast. I started off much like yourself and couldn't understand why the same movements varied so much (using pro). I I found I had to sit in a certain position to do it but then it all just clicked somehow. I found more of an arm movement than a thumb movement kept it straight.

Also around the green, ignore the chipping as it's garbage. Take out your your shortest club and flop shot it straight at the hole (or a foot or 2 past) with a bit of backspin. So much for realism.

Great game once it works for you though. Particularly with alternate shots on house on the hill with mates.

Hiya, thanks for the advice.

I just played TPC Louisiana (yet again) the 1st course in the career mode (Tour) and shot 86 (14 over par) I usually struggle to get under +20. The chipping tips saved a few shots I'm sure, I'm just going to have to keep trying I guess*.

I even got a birdie on one hole (woo-whoo) trouble was, on the next tee I shanked it into a bunker - but to be fair I think that was the only totally failed tee-shot today.

It is such a shame when a new version of a franchise comes out and its worse than the previous one - which is still my view - but I have to persevere because as I have said, to find live opponents online for the 2019 game was becoming more and more difficult.

It is one strange thing I have learnt about 'online gaming' though: even on 2019 if I played a 'ghost' opponent I would stay relaxed and play good golf, but online against a live person I'd get all twitchy and often play below my usual capability - so with that in mind I just dare not take myself onto 2k21 online anytime soon - that would be a disaster!

Still a bit disappointed with the makers of the game - I really think that with this swing-difficulty, the first course in the tour should be a really easy one (but I suppose they don't want to do that - they want people to see lots of water & lots of tress, to be impressed with the graphics). Perhaps to make progress you could score say 85 - 90 because I fear that if I need to get close to par, I shall be getting to know this course very well indeed. Anyway, it was good to read your opinion and that hopefully if I stick at it, it will all suddenly click into place for me too.

*I don't think they let you return games to the shop 'cos they are just too bloody difficult!

Well all my attempts to fix the keyboard issues of my Asus laptop have failed so far. Drivers, reboots, reinstall of windows... Nothing corrects it. A restart or reinstalling the keyboard drivers works for 2 mins and then yet another key will jam and then not work, different every time.

So I'm changing tactics, dusting off the old wireless keyboard and a monitor and treating the laptop just as an out of sight pc. It's a GTX 1060 so, whilst not state of the art, I'd be loathe to replace it now even if a 2000 series GPU does look appealing.

Unless anyone knows of a decent place to get a fair price for second hand electronics? Not eBay, every time I sell on there it's an issue or a scam.

Trouble is the Samsung syncmaster monitor is DVI and the laptop HDMI, the adaptor I have is detected by the laptop as a new monitor but nothing is displayed on the monitor itself, just no signal... Reminds me exactly why I gave us PC gaming a decade or so back in favour of consoles!

Also what does everyone think of the new waves of remasters and remakes? On one hand I loved the likes of Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Amalur, and can't wait to play them again. It keeps the IP alive too, and hearing Alan Wake and Control share a universe was intriguing. But the number of remakes now is through the roof... Are Devs / publishers getting a bit lazy, or preferring to make use of already existing, less expensive to process work rather than risk a new title?

It is just so difficult!

I had the exact same problem on 2k21. I used controller but on the the standard level it was just too difficult, but if I go onto amateur its too much of a breeze and there’s no challenge at all. I tried practicing for hours but its the backswing motion I don’t like. In the early Tiger Woods PGA video games it was never like this but much more well balanced.

Turns out EA are bringing out their own next year so see what happens, I’m not optimistic though. The mechanics of it all need a complete remake in my view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.