German Vs England

Somud said:
Do you think the disallowed goal will cause distraction from the real issue? The ultra slow and heavy England players?
No. If it does, it will only prove that the media (for it will be mainly them who might use it as an excuse) generally talk (or write) shite. TBF, the panel on the Beeb have ripped into the display and didn't use the 'no goal' as a way of explaining the wretched performance.

Sabster said:
That goal would have made a big difference. At 2-2 we wouldn't have pushed everyone forward and conceded but no-one will acknowledge that and Rio would have made a world of difference.

But why did England again look so heavy and slow when they came on after half time? It was like the start of the first half.

Sabster said:
That goal would have made a big difference. At 2-2 we wouldn't have pushed everyone forward and conceded but no-one will acknowledge that and Rio would have made a world of difference.
it didnt make much diference from 0-0,bottom line is we were lucky not to concede 8 in my opinion,sorry that goal is no excuse

We all know footy. We go in at half time 2-2 and the game is completely different. With that said we're not good enough. Todays team must have been one of the slowest of all time. Barry and Lampard on their own in CM? with Terry and Upson behind? A snail moving in treacle could waltz through...

I cannot for the life of me understand why we don't play 5 in midfield with Gerrard and Lampard behind Rooney

Chick Counterfly said:
Braggster said:
I agree. The manager made some very poor decisions but we've been throughSven, Capello, Hoddle and even Mclaren. When they're talking about Gerrard in the hole you have a big problem that goes deeper than any manager

bingo. we're talking about the one position on the pitch were what matters more than anything else is ball control. you can be 5'5 and 8 stone, but if you can control the ball and move it or yourself before the defender gets to you, you'll make things happen. you could probably name 50 players at this world cup who can control the ball more efficiently than gerrard.
agree. Actually think there has been progress in this regard, these players now exist in the PL-only problem is they're not English...

And please no one say Joe Cole. He's the most overhyped of them all

S04 said:
Somud said:
Do you think the disallowed goal will cause distraction from the real issue? The ultra slow and heavy England players?

It will be a convenient excuse at least..but the real issue is that somehow the German academies produce 20 y.o that look like superstars while we never let our youngsters play.

it's obvious to me, it's not the academies, or the foreign players that is responsible. the obvious reason we struggle is simply that we play under a different set of rules in our country. you'll never change it, because people like the blood and thunder spectacle. In my experience, most people won't even acknowledge that the lenient refereeing is a factor.

you go to a world cup, yes you get mistakes, but it's simple, everyone knows the rules, everyone knows what a foul is. you foul the opponent and the whistle blows. in this country, if it's a physical challenge, you can get away with fouling the man, especially if you overpower him as well. week after week, high boots, stamps, kicks, trips, holding, pushes, barges and checks go unpunished because the refs feel under pressure to give people the all action game. some of it goes unpunished elsewhere but only because the referee didn't see it... in this country the referees make a point of not seeing it. it's exciting, but it's not football.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
the problems are deeply ingrained right through from the top down through club level into the academies, English football is backward.

While some blame goes to the desk of Capello. But the thing is with England, their game is helped in England will be helped by the players around them, which makes them look as good as they have.

On paper these players are top class when they play for their club. I mean
Rooney carried United for their season. The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney. etc. Outstanding at their clubs with the players around them, but put them in the English team, and you just don't have the quality.

Liam Brady made a good point there, a lot of this comes back to the culture of the game in England, players aren't encouraged to keep the ball but to hit it up front, so they don't have the technical ability to hold the ball and keep the ball. And when they come up against teams who can they struggle. And when you look at it, the real creative players in England are the foreign players.

England have totally abandoned their grassroots and they suffer because of it.

Two from three - Bazza, StevieG, Lampard
Wingers - yes, proper ones
Heskey - just no
Crouch/ Defoe - yes
Rooney - only on performance and not just reputation
Terry - see above
utilisation of squad players - doh

I'm delighted that England's execrable football has at last got the thrashing it deserved after serving it up for 4 matches.
What an embarrassment they were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.