Gerry Gow

Very sad news but judging by how he played for us I am sure he has the strength to beat it.
We'd had a couple of years of crap football (I'll never forget being at Halifax away - thanks Dad!) & when John Bond came in & bought in Gerry Gow, Tommy Hutchison & Bobby McDonald it gave us a team to enjoy again. A team of fighters.

Ah, that's sad to hear. I've fond memories of Bondy's side. Gerry was like a more feral Nigel de Jong. Hope he pulls through.

Left quite an impression on bryan coffeemate robson if i recall. An absolute warrior who gave his all for the shirt,hope he gets through it.

Sad news. Was a very good player for us after John Bond took over. Added bite in midfield and chipped in with the odd important goal (Everton Cup Q/F at Goodison in 81 springs to mind). Tough competitor. Hope he pulls through it.

I remember him, and kismet is right, we haven't had many at all who've mae such an instant impact. A real old-school hard man but could play as well. Gave me a lot of happy memories in that short space of time. All the best, Gerry,
Same as I recall , became a fans favourite very quickly. Similar to Nigel De Jong , no-one got passed one way or another

He was Nigel de Jong before de Jong was even born.

Wonder if he visited Holland anytime in the late 80's...
more of a Peter Reid in my book.
great player for City, the lift he gave our team under John Bond with bobby mac and tommy hutch was immense..
never saw him play live for city,but lots of tv memories,esp the fa cup quarter final first leg at everton in 1981.what a match what an atmosphere.

Just seen that he's sadly been diagnosed with cancer. He was a bit before my time, but by all accounts made a big impression during his short spell at City. Hope he makes a swift and full recovery.

BaO857hCUAAlcR0.png

The signing of Gow, Hutchinson and MacDonald not only saved us from relegation, but also got us to the FA Cup Final and had us sitting top of the league the following season (At Christmas). Then we sold Trevor Francis to pay for the main stand roof and the rest as they say was thin and thin and more thin until 2008!!

With all the furore surrounding Tommy Hutch's goals at both ends it is often forgotten that Gerry missed a relatively easy chance to win the first game, which would have placed him alongside Yaya and Neil Young if it had gone in. One of our best pound for pound signings in terms of immediate impact.

A born scrapper and I hope he wins this battle too.

Was that Gow?

I remember Nicky Reid missed a sitter after a couple of nice 1-2s through the Spurs defence about 15 minutes before they equalised

Was that Gow?

I remember Nicky Reid missed a sitter after a couple of nice 1-2s through the Spurs defence about 15 minutes before they equalised

I thought it was Steve Mckenzie when he shaved the post, I might be wrong.

Anyway, Gerry walked into our dressing room and saw a bunch of teenagers , Ranson, Reid, Caton, Bennett. He took them under his wing and looked after them, he was a fearless leader and led by example. I remember him winning us the game away at Palace with a couple of goals.

Legend and hope he gets through this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.