Getting a GP appointment

That’s irrelevant. I sat crying my eyes out in front of Dr Gill when I was diagnosed with depression. There are tears forming in my eyes now.

I contemplated suicide in March. I even picked where to do it. That woman saved my life. She’s worth a million per year to me.
No it's not! One of the reason for a shortage of doctors is to do with the amount they earn allowing them to work part time, or take early retirement.

No it's not! One of the reason for a shortage of doctors is to do with the amount they earn allowing them to work part time, or take early retirement.

What is your job sir ?

I think you have no idea why certain jobs are paid well.

A lot of GP's are 'part time' but in reality they are working the hours of full time jobs.

A Gp working 4 days a week would be considered 'part time' but in reality they are doing 10 hour days

Behind the scenes, the Partners have a lot of admin and business-related work to do

GP work is highly stressed with all the emotional load they have to pick up from patients, many of whom have 'shit life syndrome' as well as making multiple decisions a day weighing risks /benefits of treatments or referrals etc

Can you blame them if they retire early, or leave to NZ, Aus or Canada where they can get paid more for less stress and more grateful patients ?!

What is your job sir ?

I think you have no idea why certain jobs are paid well.

A lot of GP's are 'part time' but in reality they are working the hours of full time jobs.

A Gp working 4 days a week would be considered 'part time' but in reality they are doing 10 hour days

Behind the scenes, the Partners have a lot of admin and business-related work to do

GP work is highly stressed with all the emotional load they have to pick up from patients, many of whom have 'shit life syndrome' as well as making multiple decisions a day weighing risks /benefits of treatments or referrals etc

Can you blame them if they retire early, or leave to NZ, Aus or Canada where they can get paid more for less stress and more grateful patients ?!
I wasnt blaming them for retiring early. I understand it's a very stressful job. If I earnd what they do, I also would retire early. I have worked in the medical profession for 40 years as a nurse. I retired from nursing because of the stress of the job.

I wasnt blaming them for retiring early. I understand it's a very stressful job. If I earnd what they do, I also would retire early. I have worked in the medical profession for 40 years as a nurse. I retired from nursing because of the stress of the job. I now work part time as a phlebotomist in the community.

I wasnt blaming them for retiring early. I understand it's a very stressful job. If I earnd what they do, I also would retire early. I have worked in the medical profession for 40 years as a nurse. I retired from nursing because of the stress of the job.

Well done, that's a lot of service. It seems any job these days with any legal risk is very stressful because you have to be very defensive about how you work

Day 1; ring GP surgery at 8am for appointment. Get through, finally, at 825am and book an appointment..."any time today."
12 noon...speak to GP. I explain I've had pins and needles in my hand for 8 weeks, but that it all started with neck and shoulder problems back in May. Told her I wasn't allowed an x-ray at that time because it wasn't deemed as "urgent" which is fair enough.
Referred to A and E for an ECG (this isn't heart related, surely?) And also told I need an x-ray (finally!!! Rejoice!!!!).
Turn up at A and E an hour later. ECG done (nothing wrong) after 2 hours and then told I have to go back to my surgery to book the x-ray.
Day 2; have x-rays at GP surgery. Told to wait between 7-10 days before I ring GP for results. Fair enough.
Day 3; ring surgery and ask if I can prebook the appointment to discuss x-ray results. "No" is the answer. Need to ring at 8am again in a few days.
Day 7; ring at 8am. Got through at 835am whilst on way to work "Can I book appointment for today?"
" No. It's a test result so we can prebook it." "Can I still have an appointment today then?"
"No. Thats the clinic diary between 8am and 9am each day"
"Tomorrow then?"
"No. All those appointments are booked. Next one is next week."

I understand the difficulties the NHS are facing but there are some things I don't understand here.
1. Why didn't they x-ray me at the hospital instead of sending me back to the surgery? If I had picked up anything Coivid related whilst at A and E then surely it's a massive risk to then go and potentially spread it at the surgery?
2.And why the hell don't the receptionists know when you can prebook an appointment and when you can't??

Bump.
The Ask My GP service is a disgrace brought in by lazy idle overpaid doctors who can all fuck off.
My 87 year old mum has a type of skin cancer on her face, it has got in her eye. It is not life threatening but needs to be treated. She has yet again been referred to the hospital but has not heard anything.
Last week putting her glasses on made her bleed. She rang the surgery to simply ask could they chase the hospital up. Oh no you have to use ask my gp they said. She told them she didn't have a computer to which the cow said 'well ask my gp is closed today anyway ring back on Monday. Yesterday she rang and was told to attend the surgery and fill in an Ask my Overpaid GP form in. She did.
At 9am today a doctor rang her.... and asked if he could ring back at 1pm ! He was told that as he was on the phone now, he could talk to her now. After listening to the issue he asked my 87year old mum to ring the hospital to see what was happening. My mum is a lovely polite lady but I gather she told him what she thought of his idea.
A letter is being sent by the lazy arsed tosser tomorrow.

Day 1; ring GP surgery at 8am for appointment. Get through, finally, at 825am and book an appointment..."any time today."
12 noon...speak to GP. I explain I've had pins and needles in my hand for 8 weeks, but that it all started with neck and shoulder problems back in May. Told her I wasn't allowed an x-ray at that time because it wasn't deemed as "urgent" which is fair enough.
Referred to A and E for an ECG (this isn't heart related, surely?) And also told I need an x-ray (finally!!! Rejoice!!!!).
Turn up at A and E an hour later. ECG done (nothing wrong) after 2 hours and then told I have to go back to my surgery to book the x-ray.
Day 2; have x-rays at GP surgery. Told to wait between 7-10 days before I ring GP for results. Fair enough.
Day 3; ring surgery and ask if I can prebook the appointment to discuss x-ray results. "No" is the answer. Need to ring at 8am again in a few days.
Day 7; ring at 8am. Got through at 835am whilst on way to work "Can I book appointment for today?"
" No. It's a test result so we can prebook it." "Can I still have an appointment today then?"
"No. Thats the clinic diary between 8am and 9am each day"
"Tomorrow then?"
"No. All those appointments are booked. Next one is next week."

I understand the difficulties the NHS are facing but there are some things I don't understand here.
1. Why didn't they x-ray me at the hospital instead of sending me back to the surgery? If I had picked up anything Coivid related whilst at A and E then surely it's a massive risk to then go and potentially spread it at the surgery?
2.And why the hell don't the receptionists know when you can prebook an appointment and when you can't??
@mackdid you get sorted ? I bet you have Severe Bilateral Forminal Narrowing of the C5, 6 and 7 vertabrae because you sound to have exactly what I have. I can be in agony with severe headaches, eye pain etc but it all started with pins and needles 24/7

@mackdid you get sorted ? I bet you have Severe Bilateral Forminal Narrowing of the C5, 6 and 7 vertabrae because you sound to have exactly what I have. I can be in agony with severe headaches, eye pain etc but it all started with pins and needles 24/7
Hi, I was finally told (by a physio) 8 weeks later in November 2020 that I have spondylosis. By that time it was easing, but I'd had 6 months of pain by then.
It came back in February this year and 3 months later it's easing again.
I've not had headaches or eye pain, so not sure if it's the same as yours but yes, constant pins and needles the first time.
Like bloody toothache every minute of every day.
Heat pads didn't work so I tried a freeze gel off Amazon. Bloody great stuff. Don't know if it has just been a coincidence but it has shifted it much quicker this time.

Hi, I was finally told (by a physio) 8 weeks later in November 2020 that I have spondylosis. By that time it was easing, but I'd had 6 months of pain by then.
It came back in February this year and 3 months later it's easing again.
I've not had headaches or eye pain, so not sure if it's the same as yours but yes, constant pins and needles the first time.
Like bloody toothache every minute of every day.
Heat pads didn't work so I tried a freeze gel off Amazon. Bloody great stuff. Don't know if it has just been a coincidence but it has shifted it much quicker this time.
The one people I trust is NHS physios. All the rest were trying to say it was migraines !! Ok i had severe headaches but Pins and needles, yeh right of course that migraine.
They wanted me on all this strong medication.... until the physio saw me. Basically my spine is trapping my nerves. The 5 6 and 7 do your arms (the pins and needles) and your head. My C2 and 3 decided to join in as well which is my eyes.
The C4 is clearly playing awkward.

Glad you got sorted.

Edit: just googled what you've got...... I was right it's just another name.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.