Gigs Thread

How fucking expensive are gigs now?! Any cricket ground gig seems to be 75-90 notes. Even a rock band at the academy can ask £40. Pulp on Tuesday £75 for Castlefield bowl with one shit support is pushing the boundaries too.
Prices have jumped up massively post Covid - I don't think many bands make tons out of touring, and obviously a couple of years of issues was a big problem - but lots of gigs seem to have jumped 30-40%

Maiden and A&O last night.

A bit of a mixed set list, but then with their back catalogue you can’t have everything. They were clearly trying to play some lesser known tracks, but for me they are lesser known (and played) for a reason; Alexander The Great, The Prisoner etc.
Highlights; Fear of the Dark, Heaven Can Wait, Caught Somewhere In Time, Writing On The Wall.

Other random thoughts after the gig …

What a songwriter Smith has been.
What solos Murray can still deliver.
What does Gers contribute?
Why has Harris gone so strong on the hair dye?
Me and my lad went decent seat front row block 106. The sound was awful for the first half dozen songs then it went a lot better for maybe 6 songs only to go back shit through to the end. The lad's a semi pro drummer and he says its not the venue it was their sound man.

Also from a drummers point of view he said Niko's drumming was all over the place.

I agree with the set list, no problem with songs off the new album as they are promoting that. But the amount of LP tracks off "Somewhere In Time" 5 I think was overkill. Maybe a couple of obscure LP tracks but after the new songs the rest should have been off "Live After Death" imo.

I first saw them at the Apollo in 1980 supporting Judas Priest with the original singer, I was blown away went out the following day and bought the first 2 albums. I've seen them upteen times throughout the years and I have to say I enjoyed Friday night but................well there's always a but. They are one of my top 10 bands of all time. With regards to Janik I saw him playing with the Ian Gillan band in 1980 ish and he was just a Ritchie Blackmore imitation but nowhere near as good. I agree with you about what he does for the band but they must like him as they kept him when Adrian Smith came back in 2000.

Me and my lad went decent seat front row block 106. The sound was awful for the first half dozen songs then it went a lot better for maybe 6 songs only to go back shit through to the end. The lad's a semi pro drummer and he says its not the venue it was their sound man.

Also from a drummers point of view he said Niko's drumming was all over the place.

I agree with the set list, no problem with songs off the new album as they are promoting that. But the amount of LP tracks off "Somewhere In Time" 5 I think was overkill. Maybe a couple of obscure LP tracks but after the new songs the rest should have been off "Live After Death" imo.

I first saw them at the Apollo in 1980 supporting Judas Priest with the original singer, I was blown away went out the following day and bought the first 2 albums. I've seen them upteen times throughout the years and I have to say I enjoyed Friday night but................well there's always a but. They are one of my top 10 bands of all time. With regards to Janik I saw him playing with the Ian Gillan band in 1980 ish and he was just a Ritchie Blackmore imitation but nowhere near as good. I agree with you about what he does for the band but they must like him as they kept him when Adrian Smith came back in 2000.
Cheers, yep, agree re the sound too actually.

Also, got a bit of a shock hearing the German Eurovision entry as we entered the arena towards the end of the warm up band though ;-)

When I was involved in music, bands did a tour to support an album but then began to do an album to support a tour.

Everything is expensive now. £10 wouldn’t cover two pints in a bar the other week.

When I was involved in music, bands did a tour to support an album but then began to do an album to support a tour.

Everything is expensive now. £10 wouldn’t cover two pints in a bar the other week.
I agree my lad bought me a pint of lager or was it piss and one for himself from the Arena friday night at the Iron Maiden gig, two pints just short of £20 quid. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a fcuking mask.....:-(

I agree my lad bought me a pint of lager or was it piss and one for himself from the Arena friday night at the Iron Maiden gig, two pints just short of £20 quid. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a fcuking mask.....:-(
Two pints for just shy of £20 at the Arena?! I wouldn’t expect to pay that in London.

Surely he was overcharged unless they really are taking the piss now.

That's one of the reasons I rarely drink at gigs these days. The others being...

There's rarely anything worth drinking.
I don't want to miss half the gig urinating.
I'd like to remember the gig.
I don't need to be drunk to enjoy myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.