Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

Queued for about 6 hours on the phone to get tickets, having been to over 20 matches that season, including Mansfield in the Auto Windscreens Cup... However, unlike everyone else on here, I didn't go to York away (I was though at York at home, if that counts?!).

Sales day was a typical City mess of organisation, not rewarding fans that had stayed with the team that season, including the Wigan play-off game, by only wanting 3 ticket stubs per 3 or 4 Wembley tickets.

Eventually got obstructed view seats on my Dad's credit card. Couldn't see the scoreboard, so didn't know at the time how close to the bone we took it. The 'view' also meant half of Weaver's 2nd half goal was also obstructed by a pillar.

To digress, the only game I can remember leaving early was in the late 80's when we lost 2-3 at home to Chelsea, when we came 2nd in the league and got promoted. My Dad made me leave at 1-3, and I can still vividly recall the roar from outside as we pulled a meaningless goal back to make it 2-3. Only being 8 or 9, I was gutted I didn't see that meaningless goal.

Since then I've never left a game early. Perhaps my stubborn nature, waiting so long to go to Wembley and the obstructed view of the scoreboard also made me stay, even after my brother asked to leave. Following my refusal to go, we ended up several rows further forward after Dickov's equaliser. I remember hugging a woman I'd never met before and my brother and I picking up each other's scarf off the floor and laughing. The rest is history.

Nothing has ever felt quite so important where City are concerned.

Amazing day.

Dad said let's go and I said no, let's at least stay to clap them off, so we stayed and then... and then after it had calmed down a bit dad's missus said where's my bag? Hehe It was under the seat where we used to sit before Dickov scored. We hung around in the Hilton hotel reception after and I got to tell Andy Morrison he was ace. I doubt he saw me.

Dickov's equaliser is the best so far. Cheers Paul. And my sister's touched your leg ;)

Best day of my life! Well and the aguero goal....

Im travelling from Bournemouth on business right now and Tony pulis is sat on the next seat, bizzare really as im on this thread.

Best day of my life! Well and the aguero goal....

Im travelling from Bournemouth on business right now and Tony pulis is sat on the next seat, bizzare really as im on this thread.

Was he wearing a club track-suit and baseball cap?

Does anybody know whether there is any truth in what I have always presumed to be from the urban myth school?

Bloke leaves game at 2-0, gets back to car to discover window bust and radio nicked, drives back to Manchester unaware of real result...

Does anybody know whether there is any truth in what I have always presumed to be from the urban myth school?

Bloke leaves game at 2-0, gets back to car to discover window bust and radio nicked, drives back to Manchester unaware of real result...
Mates mate/brother(?) left, drove back and didn't know result till he got home... Close.

Watched it in a pub in Altrincham and when Dickov scored the bloke in front punched the air and inadvertently caught his girlfriend knocking her out
cold!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.