Glastonbury 2024

Well the main stage is for the biggest acts. There are other stages to showcase the up and coming artists. Absolute fact is that in previous years you do not get new artists headlining and you are free to prove me wrong.

Note that oasis, arguably the biggest band out of the uk in a generation didn’t headline the main stage until well after definitely maybe and what’s the story were released
So after 2 albums? They headlined in 1995, the same year that What's the Story came out. And that came out in October, after the festival. SZA has an album out later this year, so literally more experienced that Oasis were when they headlined: two albums, another album coming soon. So well done on disproving your own point.

Incidentally, the other headliner that year were Pulp, who had released quite a few by that point, but only one that wouldn't be a very tricky pub quiz question. They were headlining because of Different Class, not because of the stuff they released in the late 80s.

It's not a massive surprise that a music festival wants to get the best artists at the time they're releasing their best music, not 10 years later once they've 'proved themselves worthy'. Plenty of headliners get the call after the first big album of their career. Happy Mondays after Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches. Pulp after Different Class. Oasis after Definitely Maybe. Ash in 1996 after their debut album. Travis after The Man Who. The Killers after Hot Fuss. Many of these are their first or second albums. It's just bollocks to claim that new artists don't headline. They have throughout the history of the festival.

And it's also worth mentioning that SZA's first album came out in 2017, so she's not some new act. She's presumably been performing live since before then.

As I said, "I don't like her" is completely legitimate. It just makes me laugh that every year, the Glastonbury thread descends into a bunch of old men moaning about how new music is shit and the headliners aren't worthy of the spot, comparing them to acts that were just as inexperienced when they first headlined.

She's had 1 EP and 1 album so far. Basically four or five star reviews from pretty much every music magazine, four grammys, an Oscar nomination, best international artist at the Brits, Kill Bill was one of the biggest hits of the year, and 10 weeks at the top of the album chart in the States, going triple platinum. So yeah, I do think she's one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed new artists in the world. Which is exactly what Glastonbury is supposed to be showing.

Don't like her? Fine. But never heard of her just means you know fuck all about new music. She was on every 'best albums of 2023' list.
Just had a discussion with my youngest daughter who absolutely loves her, she's been listening to her stuff before she became massive. But she also said she was surprised she was heading as she didn't think enough people would know her.

Just had a discussion with my youngest daughter who absolutely loves her, she's been listening to her stuff before she became massive. But she also said she was surprised she was heading as she didn't think enough people would know her.
At the very least, everyone should know the song Kill Bill. It was all over social media for months.

So after 2 albums? They headlined in 1995, the same year that What's the Story came out. And that came out in October, after the festival. SZA has an album out later this year, so literally more experienced that Oasis were when they headlined: two albums, another album coming soon. So well done on disproving your own point.

Incidentally, the other headliner that year were Pulp, who had released quite a few by that point, but only one that wouldn't be a very tricky pub quiz question. They were headlining because of Different Class, not because of the stuff they released in the late 80s.

It's not a massive surprise that a music festival wants to get the best artists at the time they're releasing their best music, not 10 years later once they've 'proved themselves worthy'. Plenty of headliners get the call after the first big album of their career. Happy Mondays after Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches. Pulp after Different Class. Oasis after Definitely Maybe. Ash in 1996 after their debut album. Travis after The Man Who. The Killers after Hot Fuss. Many of these are their first or second albums. It's just bollocks to claim that new artists don't headline. They have throughout the history of the festival.

And it's also worth mentioning that SZA's first album came out in 2017, so she's not some new act. She's presumably been performing live since before then.

As I said, "I don't like her" is completely legitimate. It just makes me laugh that every year, the Glastonbury thread descends into a bunch of old men moaning about how new music is shit and the headliners aren't worthy of the spot, comparing them to acts that were just as inexperienced when they first headlined.
Asked you to name me someone with no uk number one singles or albums to headline and no answer yet

I didn’t recognise her, didn’t seem to be the same woman to me.

she got Lyme disease 20 years ago battled that and then got stage fright so had to re-learn how to sing and get confidence to go on stage - like Rod Stewart did when he had polyps removed from his vocal chords and had to re-learn what he could sing and how.

It could well be argued that James has more of a right to be there tonight and plonk her on the 3 o'clock other stage slot.
In fact I'd go as far as say, most people wouldn't have batted an eye lip and said they deserved it with over 30 years of service and countless hits that everyone knows
That was my line up tonight. Put James on at 22.00 and it was perfect. Madness they were on at 15.00 . Was a short set I thought. Too many artists rolling round on fake animals and roundabouts for my liking. Skate board ramps and bmxs ain't good for live singing/miming.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.