Glory hunters...

Damocles said:
Have you ever read a book?

Am I to believe that you've never seen quotation marks used in the first person narrative voice before?

When someone is described as an "I'm alright, Jack" person, do you believe that they actually said "I'm alright Jack"?
Nobody said what you are implying with regards to dictating what it takes to be a supporter. It was just an ignorant generalization on your part imo

Nobody said the exact words, but even the post directly above mine (JMA) implied that there is some sort of yardstick in which you can judge people and their preferences on football; that you can somehow be "better fans" than another person.

This attitude was then satirised by exaggerating the view as a way of showing the flaws and absurdity of the argument without saying "this argument is stupid" because it is left to the reader to realise within themselves what makes it such an absurd statement.

As one great person said:

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process

I admit it. I'm a glory hunter. I arm-twisted my dad to take me to Molineux and The Hawthorns to see City play in the late 1960s. (How much bigger than Gay Meadow they were!) And I chose to go to college in Manchester because of the football.

It gets into the blood if it gets you early enough. It's very like religion in that respect.

cleavers said:
Josh Blue said:
Really? I am suprised most septics understand whats going on over here. I'll have to take a visit to Austin when I go travelling! I did meet some Florida blues at COMS in the pearce era, my Dad was chuffed our fanbase was growing back then.

How long have your mates been City fans?
I know an Austin based blue who was at wembley ! The 1999 version.

Is it me or is there another one? :)

Austin unfortunately still has a redness about it, but there are more Blues now than ever before and not all brand new ones, just coming out of the woodwork! We often have a good showing at Fado and I have heard there is another place that many Blues go too but the name escapes me. If you're Blue and in Austin hit us up!

BlueLonghorn said:
cleavers said:
Josh Blue said:
Really? I am suprised most septics understand whats going on over here. I'll have to take a visit to Austin when I go travelling! I did meet some Florida blues at COMS in the pearce era, my Dad was chuffed our fanbase was growing back then.

How long have your mates been City fans?

Austin unfortunately still has a redness about it, but there are more Blues now than ever before and not all brand new ones, just coming out of the woodwork! We often have a good showing at Fado and I have heard there is another place that many Blues go too but the name escapes me. If you're Blue and in Austin hit us up!

Errr...we went there a couple of times last year...

I'm still like the only bloody blue for around 30 miles around here, met one older chap in my local and enjoy the games with him but it's full of Liverpool, Tottenham and United fans.

I feel i could get violated at any given moment. I'm always aware of my nearest escape route ;)

Damocles said:
BlueLonghorn said:
cleavers said:

Errr...we went there a couple of times last year...

not the 1999 version...

All fans are glory hunters unless you want your club to lose constantly and win nothing. The true phrase is bandwagon jumpers.

I've been keeping a close interest in MCFC recently and will be attending Bayern game on Wednesday. After that will most likely start coming more often whether the club qualifies for next stage or not.

I've supported the same club for 14 years (seen some success in that time including a trophy and European qualifications) but its got to the point where I feel nothing but contempt. The fans are the biggest, most 2 faced, parochial bunch of small minded hypocritical sheep you could ever meet. They run down and belittle the club at EVERY opportunity (I've always been the exact opposite and they detest me for it) and have kicked me in the teeth time and time again. The only way they haven't done so is literally.

Tried everything to stick with them (even came close to getting arrested recently for the clubs benefit ironically my reputation with other fans has improved because of that) but there comes a time when enough is enough. For the last six years I've felt nothing but constant misery. Not just the normal level of misery but misery to the point its taken a mental toll. Nobody can accuse me of not being loyal. Boycotted for about 4 months earlier this year. Eventually returned only to get stabbed in the back one final time. Can't even bring myself to refer to them by name.

I've been invited to the Bayern game by a friend of mine (who was also invited last year, returned a few more times and enjoyed it to the point he supports the club now) Neither of us feel any connection to the club we supported over 14 years (bit longer than that in his case) and we have attended loads of games together home and away in that period. Don't want to stop attending live games so why not see how it goes.

Not going back to my former club again they have burned too many bridges. One thing is for sure I detest Man United as much as anyone on here and always have. Talking pure hatred but according to my former clubs fans you can't be a real fan if you hate Man U. So there's no question I want Man C to win the title this season. Watched the 6-1 game over and over again.

If I was invited to Liverpool or even Leeds (neither of which I've ever claimed to hate) probably would have gone there because anything is better than the last 6 years. The fact its Man City will bring accusations of bandwagon jumping but its not that black and white an issue. If it isn't Man City it would be somewhere else eventually.

Wouldn't call myself a City cheerleader yet (more a Man Utd hater) but my friend was the same at first. He's certainly a fan now. Same could happen to me I've never disliked City at all. Fact is a real interest has developed over last few weeks and I'm feeling more connected to the club day by day. Still feel connected to my previous club if you call deep, utter contempt a connection.

I know this club has suffered in the past but at least you didn't stab each other in the back. At least Man City fans aren't a bunch of 2 faced, hypocritical liars. Once I become committed to something I stick with it no matter what as long as I get a bit of respect in return.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.