Goals you still Remember

JGL07 said:
Johnnie Crossan's diving header against Huddersfield at Maine Road in 1966. I think that was the second in a 2-0 win. It was the crunch match in the second division around Boxing Day. There were 48,000 in for that match.
Was that the game where the ref gave a penalty to Huddersfield about 5 minutes after the (foul) had been committed ? Still getting the same type of refs now.

Being a Kiwi I haven't seen many live, but I saw one I'll never forget. City were playing Leeds at Maine Road late in the 91-92 season. Leeds already had the title in the bag. We were going alright ourselves - finished 5th I believe.
Anyway we pants them 4-0 and the 3rd was an exquisite chip by Quinn from the corner of the penalty area.

About the 3 minutes in the vid below - the whole place went nuts! Will never forget it and what a game to go to as your first one in the flesh!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZNI0Zup9_U[/youtube]

Im with Pearceman;
Paul Powers goal v Ipswich,Cue Hysteria in our end-Wow ! What a day/game

not a goal....but a tackle. and I dont remember it!! Bear with me.....

I seem to recall in the div 1 days we were faring only so-so after relegation. Joe Royle days, first half of the season, we'd had a few below par results and werent looking shoe-ins to get promoted. Atmosphere at Maine Road one particular game was boiling onto frustrated we may have been behind 0-1.

One crunching tackle by Michael Brown galvanised the crowd, atmosphere picked up and we went on to get a win. Bit of a turning point as far as i recall.

i may be wayyyyy off here and havent checked the dates as its a vivid memory and i almost want to leave it like that, but does this ring a bell for anyone else.

so in summary, a shit game, when we were shit, atmosphere was shit and one tackle from a shit player turned it all round.

would love to know what game this was...

uwe_returns said:
not a goal....but a tackle. and I dont remember it!! Bear with me.....

I seem to recall in the div 1 days we were faring only so-so after relegation. Joe Royle days, first half of the season, we'd had a few below par results and werent looking shoe-ins to get promoted. Atmosphere at Maine Road one particular game was boiling onto frustrated we may have been behind 0-1.

One crunching tackle by Michael Brown galvanised the crowd, atmosphere picked up and we went on to get a win. Bit of a turning point as far as i recall.

i may be wayyyyy off here and havent checked the dates as its a vivid memory and i almost want to leave it like that, but does this ring a bell for anyone else.

so in summary, a shit game, when we were shit, atmosphere was shit and one tackle from a shit player turned it all round.

would love to know what game this was...

2-1 Stoke between Boxing Day and New Years Day?

Cheers....yeah sounds like that could be the one. certainly remember it as a game we fell behind, if we'd just lost to York and back to back home 0-0 that explains the crowd frustration. 15 years ago...bloody hell!

be interested to know if anyone else remembers that game and this crunching Brown tackle jolted the kippax into getting into full voice?

Don't remember who it was against, but an absolutely thundering header by Dave Watson from about 15 yards out at Maine Road.

I get some kind of masochistic pleasure from watching raddy antic's goal that sent us down in '83. I was very young so only have vague recollections of it, but it still sends shivers down my spine. I think it was a watershed moment that signified the end of an era and the beginning of a new one that led to where we are now. It was the beginning of "typical city" as we know it. A packed crowd all expecting us to stay up, loads of chances missed and Luton score with their only shot at goal. Watching on youtube to this day the drama is still tangible when the goal goes in as is the horrified disbelief in the crowd at the final whistle. I'm sure it was horrendous for all those that were there at the time, sort of like how I imagine it would have been like a the end if the Aguero moment had not happened. The matches that followed in the second division were the first ones I remember going to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.