God

ElanJo said:
mammutly said:
As regards defining God:

The unifying force. The connectedness of everything. The thing that is left when all noise and questions stop - an appreciation/realisation of oneness and completeness that the lattice of definition cannot really hold. To define God is to reduce God. Define perfect according to it's constituent parts? I think not EJ. Your question is rooted in what philosophers might term a category mistake.

But anyway, I've had a stab at it for you.

I'm genuinely interested in this, so bear with me whilst I try to understand exactly what you mean.

The unifying force. The connectedness of everything. The thing that is left when all noise and questions stop - an appreciation/realisation of oneness and completeness....

So the first part is what "God" is and the second part are the emotions you feel when thinking about this?

To define God is to reduce God.

Aren't you kind of defining God when you say that?

Define perfect according to it's constituent parts? I think not EJ. Your question is rooted in what philosophers might term a category mistake.

Can you elaborate on this?

I think the last bit might be the crux of our 'problem'.

I nicked this from answers.com:

A category mistake arises when things or facts of one kind are presented as if they belonged to another. Someone would make a category mistake if after being shown all the battalions and regiments she wished to be shown the army. Ryle believed that a Cartesian theory of mind depended on the category mistake of reifying mental events, instead of seeing mental descriptions as just one kind of description of persons and their dispositions. Thinking of beliefs as in the head, or numbers as large spatial objects, or God as a person, or time as flowing, may each be making category mistakes.

As regards emotions being part of my attempted God definition, I can only say to you that emotions change and God remains. My particular appreciation of God is of course much more closely alligned to the Buddhist knowledge of enlightenment than the Christian idea of a deity, but I don't think the contradiction is as sharp as it first appears.

ElanJo said:
BulgarianPride said:
But then he is responsible for gravity... He designed the rules / formulas that everything in this universe has to obey, and if we never find the Unified field theory then wouldn't that be direct proof of god? He couldn't himself make it as one, so he creates two systems. One of the very large, one of the very small with different types of governing equations.

But if everything is unified then that would also be proof of god?
And if god did create this universe who then created him. This is all one big circle. there will always be questions that is why nobody can ever say god exists or does not. That why you believe or you don't.

Your whole belief is an argument from ignorance.

And your's isn't? You don't believe because nobody has shown god to you. I believe because i fail to explain to myself how we( as the whole of the universe) came to be.

Please show me light, free me of my ignorance. I am waiting...

Can I believe in Creationism and Evolution at the same time please?

Because I do.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 pm --<br /><br />Can I believe in Creationism and Evolution at the same time please?

Because I do.

mammutly said:
ElanJo said:
I'm genuinely interested in this, so bear with me whilst I try to understand exactly what you mean.

So the first part is what "God" is and the second part are the emotions you feel when thinking about this?

Aren't you kind of defining God when you say that?

Can you elaborate on this?

I think the last bit might be the crux of our 'problem'.

I nicked this from answers.com:

A category mistake arises when things or facts of one kind are presented as if they belonged to another. Someone would make a category mistake if after being shown all the battalions and regiments she wished to be shown the army. Ryle believed that a Cartesian theory of mind depended on the category mistake of reifying mental events, instead of seeing mental descriptions as just one kind of description of persons and their dispositions. Thinking of beliefs as in the head, or numbers as large spatial objects, or God as a person, or time as flowing, may each be making category mistakes.

As regards emotions being part of my attempted God definition, I can only say to you that emotions change and God remains. My particular appreciation of God is of course much more closely alligned to the Buddhist knowledge of enlightenment than the Christian idea of a deity, but I don't think the contradiction is as sharp as it first appears.

Yea, I'm just wondering how by asking for a definition of "God" I am making, or founding my question within, a category error.

With your description of God not being a deity and instead being some kind of unifying force I don't see why you even use the word "God" tbh. You're basically calling something akin to gravity "God". I guess it's poetic in a way but, I don't know, pretty pointless?

I don't know what "emotions change and God remains" means heh<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 pm --<br /><br />
BulgarianPride said:
ElanJo said:
Your whole belief is an argument from ignorance.

And your's isn't? You don't believe because nobody has shown god to you. I believe because i fail to explain to myself how we( as the whole of the universe) came to be.

Please show me light, free me of my ignorance. I am waiting...

No. I'm not claiming that no Gods exist. I just don't actively believe in a God. There are occasions where I will make the claim that a God doesn't exist - in the same way I make the claim that a square-circle doesn't exist - but that is dependant upon the definition of God given to me. This is why I ask believers to define God.

I'll endeavour to 'show you the light' if you give me a proper definition. "God is responsible for things science doesn't yet understand" is not a definition. It's a (seriously fallacious and rather comical) reason for believing in a God. If you don't define "God" then you're not saying ANYTHING.

BulgarianPride said:
But then he is responsible for gravity... He designed the rules / formulas that everything in this universe has to obey, and if we never find the Unified field theory then wouldn't that be direct proof of god? He couldn't himself make it as one, so he creates two systems. One of the very large, one of the very small with different types of governing equations.

But if everything is unified then that would also be proof of god?
And if god did create this universe who then created him. This is all one big circle. there will always be questions that is why nobody can ever say god exists or does not. That why you believe or you don't.

No, absolutely not.

If we never find a theory unifying the quantum world and the normal world, it's absolutely no proof at all, let alone direct proof, that God exists. All it means is that we have failed to understand it. This is proof of nothing apart from that we failed to understand it.

I cannot say this enough times. Even if all of the science that we have so far discovered turns out to be wrong, it is NOT any sort of proof of a God, all it is, is proof that we have misunderstood things. Considering that you are an engineer, I would have thought that basic cause-effect logic should be well within your grasp.

Personally, as I have said, I don't BELIEVE that any sort of a God exists, but I cannot say with any sort of certainty. There are currently holes in human understanding. It is possible that God could come into our understanding within these holes, but I find it extremely unlikely. However, as with everything, I'll examine the evidence when I see it then make an informed opinion upon the subject.

Any other position than the above is anti-scientific and those who are saying that God definitely does not exist are not living by the rigorous scientific standards that they claim to be. There is no proof of God existing. There didn't used to be proof of a heliocentric solar system. Saying that something will never happen means that you close off your mind to possibilities and you look at evidence in a skewed manner.
This is why Buzzer was so important to this forum, and I would very much enjoy it if he returned. He didn't just sit there expounded views; he showed you the evidence that convinced him for you to make your own decision. People like this should be celebrated.
You however, are the complete opposite. You're whole vein of evidence is basically "well, if we don't understand it, then God must have done it". You are using God as the default cause, which is wrong. Misunderstanding is the default cause, every piece of knowledge that we gain through widespread, peer reviewed evidence adds to our understanding of a subject.
God is just as likely as aliens, which is just as likely as a fridge magnet creating the universe. I refuse to rule out any of them until we figure out the exact cause of creation.

Ally.P said:
Can I believe in Creationism and Evolution at the same time please?

Because I do.

You can believe whatever you feel necessary, just don't expect it to be correct. I'm sorry to say that Creationism in the sense that God created the Earth directly has been entirely disproven, and if you'd like, I could explain from a couple of milliseconds after the Big Bang to how we got here today. It's a large sequence of events that focus around stars, gravity and luck. However, if by Creationism you mean that God created the Big Bang then left it alone to run by the laws that God set, nobody can touch you scientifically.

You shouldn't believe in Evolution. Evolution has as much evidence behind it as, say, the Earth orbiting the Sun does. It's a commonly known, widely accepted theory.
One of the problems with the Creationist movement, is it's complete misunderstanding of what a scientific theory actually is. It isn't a theory in the sense of "I have a theory that City will beat Spurs". That's what we call a hypothesis. A theory scientifically is something that has being tested, over and over, has masses of evidence behind it, has been peer reviewed by hundreds and thousands of scientists all over the world, all doing their own experiments in double blind conditions and replicating the same results.

Evolution and Creationism aren't natural bedfellows. It could be said that the planets and stars themselves have undergone a sort of evolutionary development from Type 1 stars through to Type 3 stars. The whole point of evolution is a simple one, things that work better have a better chance of surviving than things that don't work as well. Over time, the ones that survive will breed until the ones that don't die out. That's what all of the fuss is about. The Universe in it's early state was full of heavy metalled, Type 1 stars. These stars were burning hot, yet incredibly unstable, thus exploded a lot and created many of the elements in the periodic table through moving around the insides of some atoms due to the sheer forces involved. No life could be supported in this environment as we currently know it. Over time, our Sun type of star developed, and rubble from other explosions gravitationally attracted one another whilst sweeping (orbiting) round the new Sun. This is where the planets come from, the rotation of which is one of the reasons why nearly all of them are pretty spherical.

This isn't just hyperbole either, we can actually prove this by the dating of asteroids, and by direct observation of other systems in a similar phase. As I say, it depends on what you mean by "Creationism".

I've come to the conclusion that god made his believers slippery and evasive.
Hats off to you Elanjo, i admire your rationality and patience. I'm outta here!

(unless of course someone says something seriously provocative ;))

my take on this is rather blunt really.

I believe that the bible was created by early man as a set of guideling rules. Its funny how there was AD and BC basically before rule book and after rule book.

That is my take on the bible..

Also... if theres a god.. who created this whole earth, then that means that hes a gready fucker with lots of planets.... or theres 1 god per planet so 1000s of gods...

Ive tryed to make sense of this before but i really cant . i believe that religion is something that ppl lay back on to hide behind when things go to shit or because they cant take the thought that bad shit happens in the world naturally.

Atheists are as bad as theists.

The right answer to the question "does God exist?" is "I don't know". In a rational world, a belief system is the prettier sibling of escapism.

You would think that atheists, with their worship of science, would understand that you can't complete a jigsaw with hardly any of the pieces.

At least theists don't pretend to be rational.

Atheism meaning that you believe there is no God.

nashark said:
Atheists are as bad as theists.

The right answer to the question "does God exist?" is "I don't know". In a rational world, a belief system is the prettier sibling of escapism.

You would think that atheists, with their worship of science, would understand that you can't complete a jigsaw with hardly any of the pieces.

At least theists don't pretend to be rational.

Atheism meaning that you believe there is no God.

Ah, I see you've found a way to feel superior to both of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.