God

Ally.P said:
ElanJo said:
His version of God does.

Oh, sorry, I forget, yours is the correct version, right? ;) Some swedish guy long ago had a few weird dreams afterall

My version, absolutely. As an all-loving, all-forgiving God. Sure. Even without Swedenborg s interpretations I hope I would think the same.

Elanjo, I was simply saying that that is absolutely my version of God for me. I cant prove it but its what make sense to me. This doesnt make me brainless or closed minded. God can be whatever you want him to be, or not be, in your case.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, me thinks.

lloydie said:
sweynforkbeard said:
This thorough debunking has demolished his reputation in my eyes. Thank His Noodley Appendage that the pristine reasonings of Professor Bertolli remain unbesmirched.

Corrected.

ah beat me to that almighty freudian slip of all freudian slips

religion is the ultimate enigma for me as i find it completely absurd

it truly baffles me that one can find solace in an 'entity' in these times of science and progression

the bible is quite backwards and racist - in my opinion. if it was released now, it would be banned by the very people who follow it

the irony!

ElanJo said:
Ally.P said:
Hey steady on, old chap!

Well, is it not?

If you can't see it and your faith is blinding you, change the subject from "God" to something else.
Imagine that you were on trial and you got sentenced to 10 years in prison because the jury found you guilty "absolutely" but then go on to admit that they have no reason whatsoever for arriving at this verdict. What would your reaction be I wonder?

BulgarianPride said:
Try to do what you say you follow. Your post lacks sense and science!

My believe is based on believe. A believe based on the unknown, of how we came to be. Shine light into the darkness and i will see how everything was created, and then if you see there is no God, then it must not really exist. But until you shine the light, and see how we (the whole universe) were created, anything is possible, including that a God created everything.
Saying that someone that believes in god is deluded, or lacks any knowledge of science is just stupid, border line retarded.

-- Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:27 am --

into the twilight zone

It's amazing that you have the gall to call anyone, or anything said, "stupid" or "borderline retarded" when your reason for believing, when taken to it's logical conclusion, is self contradictory. You say we don't have enough knowledge about the universe and therefore you believe in a god (yet again, another argument from ignorance) but then the exact same thing could be said to come to the conclusion that the universe/reality is eternal or uncaused by a god. So, when faced with the unknown how exactly do you decipher what is true or false? The only reasonable answer is to suspend judgement and say "I don't know"

My believe is based on believe
And that makes no sense at all.

I chose to believe. That is it. It might not make any sense to you or anyone else, but in my mind it does. Simple as that. Show me the conclusive evidence that shows that god does not exists, and then i will accept the fact that my believe was wrong, until then my believe stands.

Now if you call me deluded or that i have a lack of knowledge because of my believe, then you are simply full of shit (in general, not attacking you EJ) ! Saying "I don't know" does not really give me piece of mind. Much rather believe in something that allows me to sleep. If that happens to be wrong, then be it. No harm was done to anyone.

Your conclusion that a god does not exists is base on what? Knowledge or ignorance?

-- Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 am --

aphex said:

it truly baffles me that one can find solace in an 'entity' in these times of science and progression

the bible is quite backwards and racist - in my opinion. if it was released now, it would be banned by the very people who follow it

the irony!

Many of the people that are making the science and the progress are believers. That is fact!
They might not believe in the bible, or any other religious text, but they still believe that a god exits.

In fact, there is research going on trying to show that the concept of god is embedded in all our brains. Now i remember watching a talk/documentary about it but I've forgot the name. When i find it i will post it here.

BulgarianPride said:
ElanJo said:
Well, is it not?

If you can't see it and your faith is blinding you, change the subject from "God" to something else.
Imagine that you were on trial and you got sentenced to 10 years in prison because the jury found you guilty "absolutely" but then go on to admit that they have no reason whatsoever for arriving at this verdict. What would your reaction be I wonder?

It's amazing that you have the gall to call anyone, or anything said, "stupid" or "borderline retarded" when your reason for believing, when taken to it's logical conclusion, is self contradictory. You say we don't have enough knowledge about the universe and therefore you believe in a god (yet again, another argument from ignorance) but then the exact same thing could be said to come to the conclusion that the universe/reality is eternal or uncaused by a god. So, when faced with the unknown how exactly do you decipher what is true or false? The only reasonable answer is to suspend judgement and say "I don't know"

I chose to believe. That is it. It might not make any sense to you or anyone else, but in my mind it does. Simple as that. Show me the conclusive evidence that shows that god does not exists, and then i will accept the fact that my believe was wrong, until then my believe stands.

Now if you call me deluded or that i have a lack of knowledge because of my believe, then you are simply full of shit (in general, not attacking you EJ) ! Saying "I don't know" does not really give me piece of mind. Much rather believe in something that allows me to sleep. If that happens to be wrong, then be it. No harm was done to anyone.

Your conclusion that a god does not exists is base on what? Knowledge or ignorance?

This is what I want to say but arent eloquent to do so.

BulgarianPride said:
ElanJo said:
Well, is it not?

aphex said:

the irony!

Many of the people that are making the science and the progress are believers. That is fact!
They might not believe in the bible, or any other religious text, but they still believe that a god exits.

i think that the church are like the mafia - which has been strengthened by the priest bomber recently in the news

they have a clout that is far and wide - believers in high places, if you get my drift

and not believing the bible surely puts to bed there is no god?

BulgarianPride said:
ElanJo said:
Well, is it not?

aphex said:

the irony!

In fact, there is research going on trying to show that the concept of god is embedded in all our brains. Now i remember watching a talk/documentary about it but I've forgot the name. When i find it i will post it here.

Sorry Ally but that's utter tosh, we may well be hard wired into looking for causality in things. This is an entirely different thing and is an evolutionary advantageous trait . That you choose to believe in the truth of the bible is worrying though your choice. Why I say it's worrying is that there are evangelical types who will seek to convince others who may not have the resources to question what appears to be an easy answer, for many years we thought the Sun moved around the earth because it is just such an easy answer. Not only do they impose their answer on people they also impose their twisted morality upon them. Have a quick look at Youtube and the amount of effort Churches expend in refuting atheistic arguments and ask yourself why they don't expend a similar amount of effort in fighting the inhumane practices of their own Christian churches premised on the belief in the veracity of the bible.
As I say, you're entitled to whatever allows you to sleep at night but the moment you preach the truth of your belief to anyone else you're fair game for ridicule in my book.

lloydie said:
BulgarianPride said:

Sorry Ally but that's utter tosh, we may well be hard wired into looking for causality in things. This is an entirely different thing and is an evolutionary advantageous trait . That you choose to believe in the truth of the bible is worrying though your choice. Why I say it's worrying is that there are evangelical types who will seek to convince others who may not have the resources to question what appears to be an easy answer, for many years we thought the Sun moved around the earth because it is just such an easy answer. Not only do they impose their answer on people they also impose their twisted morality upon them. Have a quick look at Youtube and the amount of effort Churches expend in refuting atheistic arguments and ask yourself why they don't expend a similar amount of effort in fighting the inhumane practices of their own Christian churches premised on the belief in the veracity of the bible.
As I say, you're entitled to whatever allows you to sleep at night but the moment you preach the truth of your belief to anyone else you're fair game for ridicule in my book.

I am not preaching the truth nor do i claim that my belief is true.
I am not defending the Christian efforts into making believers. If you look back in this thread you will see.

tonea2003 said:
mammutly said:
Explain 'irony' .

Just saying "oh the irony!" is exactly the kind of lazy, bullshit contribution I'm talking about!

You don't know what the word 'irony' means, do you? I bet a pound to a pinch of shit that you google it before daring to reply.

i do believe this was you

As regards defining God:

The unifying force. The connectedness of everything. The thing that is left when all noise and questions stop - an appreciation/realisation of oneness and completeness that the lattice of definition cannot really hold. To define God is to reduce God. Define perfect according to it's constituent parts? I think not EJ. Your question is rooted in what philosophers might term a category mistake.

thats what's ironic, by the way i'm not saying its lazy.

HaHa. The subtle ones are always the best...

:-)

However, my definition of God, though no doubt inadequately expressed, makes sense to me. You can subject it to dialectic analysis if you like, but that would be to miss the point. Get it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.