God

markbmcfc said:
tonea2003 said:
so what are your beliefs? what it is that clinched it for you

I suppose my beliefs could be considered to be seperate from believing in God. I believe in the spiritual side of life, I have family who have been for readings who have been told things by complete strangers that only people in our family could relate too, I havent had my own reading but I intend to. I guess from that, I believe in 'Heaven' or something similar.

I dont believe in the bible, its been rewritten so many times through history to cover up things that make christianity look bad, that I find it impossible to actually trust. I believe in the characters inside the bible, but not necessarily how they are portrayed. I dont believe Moses parted the red sea, and I do believe Jesus had a son.

At the end of the day, they are my beliefs, probably different to anyone elses, so let people have their beliefs and get on with it.

let me get this right, you believe in afterlife but not necessarily in "god" and that belief is based around some readings your family has had. correct me if i'm wrong here.
is there a chance they could have been cold read?

You need to read "The case against God" by George H Smith. It is a lot more accessable than some of Dawkins stuff, but both are excellent in their exploding the prepostruous myth that is theism.

BimboBob said:
Just my opinion...

Many, many years ago people had very few rights, horrible working conditions and were a bit thick. Learned men were men of the cloth. They were revered because they could read and write. They had power, a power that was only second to the King (although sometimes even the King bowed down to them).

God, and the teachings of Jesus gave the masses hope. Something to cling to in their mundane lives. From the priests point of view it gave them an easy way to control the masses. Everyone was a winner.

The trouble is some of the unwashed masses got cleverer. They started to learn. To question. The men in power didn't like this very much. They started to smite down the new intelligent people by proclaiming them as the work of the devil. There were enough thick people left to carry out their work.

But the clever people survived and now outnumber the thick people. Religion was doomed. Although their hold on the masses had been broken they still had pockets of power but very little influence.

On an historical note, there is more evidence that King Arthur existed than Jesus. I do believe there was a Jesus, or a man teaching the good word, in that area around that time. But his message has been taken over, changed and generally fucked about with by greedy men with their own agenda.

Still, each to their own and if anybody has faith i say good luck to them. If that faith has helped them then good luck to them as well. The churches do a lot of good, especially in the community. It just seems such an outlandish thought process to me though.
Blasphema, stone him to death.

tonea2003 said:
let me get this right, you believe in afterlife but not necessarily in "god" and that belief is based around some readings your family has had. correct me if i'm wrong here.

It's a question of who's word can any person truly trust? At the end of the day, my family is my family. If my mother tells me she has been read something from a complete stranger and she is completely shocked by how true it is, so shocked I can physically see it in her face, am I really going to dispute that? My mothers word is worth a damn site more than some religious book thats been rewritten for years on end. My mum, my sister and other close family members have been to see the same person and been told different things, they trust what they are hearing and I have seen how true it is to them, which is good enough for me. Any dude in the street, on an online forum, the bible itself couldnt change that.

You may not believe in spiritual readings. I cant tell you they are real, and you cant tell me they are not. I cant tell you God does not exist, you cant tell me he does. The same analogy can be used to describe anything in Religion. Hence the words faith, and belief.

anyone who believes in god must also believe in:
bogeymen
ghosts
faries
trolls
zombies
pixies
elves
lucifer (not the belgian beer)
etc. etc
you get the picture.

markbmcfc said:
tonea2003 said:

It's a question of who's word can any person truly trust? At the end of the day, my family is my family. If my mother tells me she has been read something from a complete stranger and she is completely shocked by how true it is, so shocked I can physically see it in her face, am I really going to dispute that? My mothers word is worth a damn site more than some religious book thats been rewritten for years on end. My mum, my sister and other close family members have been to see the same person and been told different things, they trust what they are hearing and I have seen how true it is to them, which is good enough for me. Any dude in the street, on an online forum, the bible itself couldnt change that.

You may not believe in spiritual readings. I cant tell you they are real, and you cant tell me they are not. I cant tell you God does not exist, you cant tell me he does. The same analogy can be used to describe anything in Religion. Hence the words faith, and belief.

absolutely you take you mums word, that don't make it right though, however honest and truthful she is, and i'm sure she is.

are you and your family going to some other "reputable" sources to corroborate what you have already been told or is the one good enough?

again i struggle to understand why without proof people have blind faith.
you wouldn't do in anything else you encounter. why this?

tonea2003 said:
markbmcfc said:

absolutely you take you mums word, that don't make it right though, however honest and truthful she is, and i'm sure she is.

are you and your family going to some other "reputable" sources to corroborate what you have already been told or is the one good enough?

That's not true. Most beliefs you have are based on yur own observances (which are not necessarily true) or information gleaned from other sources. very little is absolutely proveable. eg City are a better club than Utd - proveable?

Ronnie the Rep said:
tonea2003 said:

That's not true. Most beliefs you have are based on yur own observances (which are not necessarily true) or information gleaned from other sources. very little is absolutely proveable. eg City are a better club than Utd - proveable?

Just argued against your own point there mate!

Ronnie the Rep said:
tonea2003 said:

I'd say that most beliefs are handed to you by your parents/peers and only when you start to think for yourself do you question things. I still think that most peoples beliefs are the same as their parents.

Brought up in a house that dislikes god? I bet you will believe the same thing.

There is a God, but unfortunately for us he is a Rag, it explains everything, i always picture him sat on his throne with his replica kit on having a beer, he thinks fuck this I AM GOD, bang last minute goal, and its too late, its all over, Ushited do it again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.