Golf Thread

I'm going to try to get out and play. I've been to the driving range a couple of times.

Thanks. It's been a difficult time for golfers over the covid lockdown. For someone who had played all the time for the last 40 years plus I've really struggled and felt that I'd lost my game. I went from 3 to 6 handicap, it doesn't sound a lot but it's like a big step change. Fingers crossed that I've turned a corner. Good luck to everyone out there and don't give up.

Gross ? Amazing score if you not played since lockdown.
Yes, gross. I've played as much as I could around the lockdowns but the enforced layoffs we all suffered made me lose my game. I've played dog shit for the last couple of years. I went from shooting low seventies to high seventies. Whatever your level in the game it's about playing to your expectations

Going to give this a go again this year. Going straight in at the deep end with a 27 hole day on Sunday, a mate has dropped out of on a little tournament that they organised. Went to the range yesterday and like always, liked some shots and didn't like others. Will see how Sunday goes!

Already thinking about an upgrade as ive got decade old clubs (probably older) and something nice and shiny would probably get me out there more often. Going to get some lessons sorted as well.

Been looking around online and came across a few sets that seem to get good reviews but anyone here able to advise on any of these below. I want to spend around 250-300 on a set of irons basically.

Cobra King 2017 Forged Tec Iron Set - £210
4-PW+GW KBS STIFF

Wilson Staff D7 Forged Iron Set - £320
5-PW, KBS $-Taper Lite 95 Steel Shaft

PXG Gen 3 0311 T/STcombo irons KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff - £300
0311 T - 5 iron
0311 ST - 6-PW

Ping i500 Irons - £310
6-PW + UW. (1/2 inch shorter) this is a bit of a rogue one as ive not been fitted for clubs so this might be a terrible choice!

Cobra King Tec Forged One Length Black Irons Steel Shafts - £280 brand new.
5-PW

If you buy standard spec Ping irons at the right price, you’ll always get a decent return should they not work out for you. I’m fairly certain you would struggle to sell on Wilson and PXG.

If you're close to Warrington get down to Cash 4 clubs, it's an amazing second hand shop that have thousands of sets/clubs at all price points. They do a 14 day exchange as well so if they don't suit you can change them.
They also have an eBay store. Watch out for their 20% off discount codes that pop up for a few days every month.

Currently on a golf trip up in East Lothian and Northumberland - got senior open comps on at Goswick and Bamburgh Castle at the back end of next week following some warm up rounds at Gullane No1 and No2. Weather looks decent too which is a proper bonus.

Can’t really advise because don’t know your swing speeds , shot shape ect. I would go and pay for an Iron fitting . Ben at Manchester golf club fitted me for driver & putter but does irons , wedges ect . He charged me I think £70 . He gave me all my recommended specs which I then used to buy the driver & putter of a pro shop on the internet.
I'm going to have a fit I think. It seems very sensible.

What score do you shoot at the mo and how far do you hit your irons?
I played my first 18 today, was a tournament amongst friends. We played match play and I won 3 holes. Felt very comfortable on the short game and putting but felt very weak on the driving and tee shots.

Little tip/suggestion for anyone stating up,in a 4 ball with players different shades of crap try playing matchplay doubles Texas Scramble.

You get all the shots from best placed ball and no stress about stroke totals.

I'm going to have a fit I think. It seems very sensible.

I played my first 18 today, was a tournament amongst friends. We played match play and I won 3 holes. Felt very comfortable on the short game and putting but felt very weak on the driving and tee shots.

Ok I’d definitely have a fitting. If you’re just starting out, you want your irons in particular to be giving you as much help as possible - the sets you linked have different strengths, some are aimed at high handicappers, some are for better players that like to shape the ball more.

Ideally, a lesson or two and then a fitting would be the way to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.