Golf Thread

I want some bad weather and **** of rough for the players to battle with.
Half of the challenge is inclemant weather and nasty deep weeds.
Try Pebble Beach in January/February.

And part of the reason the tour follows the sun is that’s difficult to play in blizzards, and dangerous to play in thunderstorms, both of which the US has a lot of — as well as sun —unlike the UK :)

That said, I think the WGCs ruined the professional game as a spectator sport and said so a long while back — once “appearance money” became a thing, and these guys got so rich they just show up to get paid, the sport became less interesting, and the majors all that really matter — like tennis. And now we have the Fed Ex Cup (the NASCARization of golf), LIV, and the PGA scrambling to create similar “guarantees”, so I’ve whittled down my viewing to the majors and maybe a few at the courses I know from their uniqueness, like Pebble or Sawgrass.

was watching sky news last night when they did their sports bulletin. Covered the golf obviously and went on about the Lowry and Brown rounds, but they had to let everyone know that Brown was a rag!! Why?!! Anyway hope he blows up tomorrow the ****!!
Lowry is from a well known Irish sporting family, possibly more famous than he is , and is a rags fan but he comes across as fairly ordinary.
McIlroy spouts his love of the rags whenever he can.

Lowry is from a well known Irish sporting family, possibly more famous than he is , and is a rags fan but he comes across as fairly ordinary.
McIlroy spouts his love of the rags whenever he can.
McIlroy,s reward for being a rag is missing the cut.

Hopefully, Lowry suffers a similar fate.

I used to watch a lot of golf when younger, but now it's just the open.
I just can't relate to perfect courses in perfect weather that the US shows.
I want some bad weather and **** of rough for the players to battle with.
Half of the challenge is inclemant weather and nasty deep weeds.

The masters has killed real golf. It's more like a well kept park. But everyone with a golf course wants to be shown as beautiful.

I've totally disengaged from it as a Spectator sport.

Spot on. As someone who worked as a head greenkeeper from the 90's till 2010 I can see the damage that was being done to uk golf courses. Membership wanting American greens, American fairways demanding the over use of fertilisers and water which ruin our fescue/bent greens. This allowed weed grasses like poa to take over. Poa that is swallow rooting needs tons of water and fertiliser. It's also very respectable to disease being more chemicals need to be used.
All this so a bog standard golfer can stop a ball without using the skill of backspin as the ball just plops into the green.
Golf is easier nowadays clubs have huge sweet spots, you can hit the ball further with less skill. Greens are over watered to allow the ball to stop easier. All this makes the average golfer think they are better players than they really are.

Plus the chase for lengh has ruined many good courses

American Golf is different to British golf but sadly most British greens have gone with over watering over fertilisers and Membership telling the highly qualified head greenkeeper how to do his job or get the sack.

Golf has gone the American way and football is following :(

Last edited:
It is quite a feat for a major world sport to become as boring as golf has. Well done, GI Joe.

Spot on. As someone who worked as a head greenkeeper from the 90's till 2010 I can see the damage that was being done to uk golf courses. Membership wanting American greens, American fairways demanding the over use of fertilisers and water which ruin our fescue/bent greens. This allowed weed grasses like poa to take over. Poa that is swallow rooting needs tons of water and fertiliser. It's also very respectable to disease being more chemicals need to be used.
All this so a bog standard golfer can stop a ball without using the skill of backspin as the ball just plops into the green.
Golf is easier nowadays clubs have huge sweet spots, you can hit the ball further with less skill. Greens are over watered to allow the ball to stop easier. All this makes the average golfer think they are better players than they really are.

Plus the chase for lengh has ruined many good courses

American Golf is different to British golf but sadly most British greens have gone with over watering over fertilisers and Membership telling the highly qualified head greenkeeper how to do his job or get the sack.

Golf has gone the American way and football is following :(
Good sport gets ruined by money shocker!!
It all goes the same way for the till.
Greed is the worldwide pandemic that gets lauded rather than derided.
Anyone get the feeling that the 7 deadly sins are now classed as virtues?

I'd love to see Rosey win it but reckon it will be one of the Americans again. Shauffele or Scheffler. Will be a good final day with a close field.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.