Gordon McQueen

Thinking about football from that era, it was all about the goalkeeper hoofing it upfield and the opposing centre halves heading it back. It must have taken a terrible toll on so many players having your brain rattled multiple times a game, I know I didn't like heading the ball when I played. Sorry for him and his family, really good player.

Remember seeing him play for St Mirren against the mighty Stirling Albion at Annfield on 1 January 1972. He was 18 and in the Albion programme notes (which I still have) he was “tipped for the top” and “has already caught the eye of Scotland team manager Tommy Docherty”. He had a nightmare game and was sent off as the Binos beat the Buddies 3-2 in a brilliant match.
Great that he had such a great career after that and a true Scotland legend.
He was a really striking looking player - 6 foot 3 according to the Albion programme, blonde. He reminded a lot of Binos fans of a certain Jerzy Gorgon of Gornik Zabrze who we had all seen in a certain final on TV in April 1970.

When you consider the weight of the balls in them days no wonder footballers are now suffering.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.