Gordon McQueen

How many red cards would there be in todays game lol
Brutal shit on and off the pitch!

Mind playing tricks as I always thought that went to a replay and and Jordon got sold before it got played, remember we'd eventually won but might have been a league game played straight after. Was 9 and not allowed to go anywhere near Elland Road. Overprotective parents

As others have said, an old-fashioned style centre back, commanding in the air and no nonsense. He played 13 years in and around the top flight, so he was definitely good at what he did. He scored the first goal in Scotland's (in)famous victory at Wembley in 1977, a majestic header, but, oddly enough, he never played in a World Cup finals.
From an Asa Hartford free kick if memory serves.

As others have said, an old-fashioned style centre back, commanding in the air and no nonsense. He played 13 years in and around the top flight, so he was definitely good at what he did. He scored the first goal in Scotland's (in)famous victory at Wembley in 1977, a majestic header, but, oddly enough, he never played in a World Cup finals.

I had a photo of that goal on my bedroom wall. Not that I was a Scotland or a Leeds fan but it was just a brilliant photo. Think I quietly discarded it when he signed for United mind.

This doesn’t really do it justice but I think this is a cropped newspaper’s version of the same photo.

fc9acb4c7de56386e906d2186540a1b7.jpg

I had a photo of that goal on my bedroom wall. Not that I was a Scotland or a Leeds fan but it was just a brilliant photo. Think I quietly discarded it when he signed for United mind.

This doesn’t really do it justice but I think this is a cropped newspaper’s version of the same photo.

fc9acb4c7de56386e906d2186540a1b7.jpg
It was Asa Hartford that chipped the freekick in, I think. McQueen had a great ability to soar into the air, and that lion's mane of golden hair just made him seem even bigger. An iconic image.

How many red cards would there be in todays game lol
Brutal shit on and off the pitch!

45 years on and so much in society has changed. It would make the headlines on the front pages if Guardiola dipped into his pocket and lit his pipe, yet that was one of more benign moments in that game.

It was Asa Hartford that chipped the freekick in, I think. McQueen had a great ability to soar into the air, and that lion's mane of golden hair just made him seem even bigger. An iconic image.
Is that Joe Jordan in the background? Forget what a good team Scotland were back then with the likes of McQueen, Hartford, Souness, Gemill and Daglish

Is that Joe Jordan in the background? Forget what a good team Scotland were back then with the likes of McQueen, Hartford, Souness, Gemill and Daglish

They really blew their one and probably only chance to ever have a decent run in a World Cup in ‘78 by fucking up against Iran and particularly Peru.

As well as those players you mention, they had the likes of Donachie, Rioch, John Robertson, Macari, Sandy Jardine, Kenny Burns.

This seems incredible now but Corals actually had them at only 10/1 to win the whole thing, pre- tournament.

They really blew their one and probably only chance to ever have a decent run in a World Cup in ‘78 by fucking up against Iran and particularly Peru.

As well as those players you mention, they had the likes of Donachie, Rioch, John Robertson, Macari, Sandy Jardine, Kenny Burns.

This seems incredible now but Corals actually had them at only 10/1 to win the whole thing, pre- tournament.
Yeah good one forgot about Donachie and Macari, glad you left Buchan out though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.