Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

Thanks for posting this. Just watched it and it's the first time I've seen that longer version of the highlights. There's an abbreviated version of about ten minutes that's on You Tube which I've watched several times, but it's very enjoyable to see this and take it all in.

That period of about 5 minutes between roughly 55 and 60 minutes is wonderful. We go from 2-0 up, at which point we could still have struggled had they suddenly grabbed a goal from somewhere, to 5-0, at which point it's absolutely done and dusted. The noise for the goals is refulgent and I particularly love the anticipatory cheer ahead of the fourth, when Simmo nips in and takes the ball past the 'keeper, followed by the roar when he slots it into the empty net. You can hear a heady mix of joy and relief from the songs from that part of the match onwards. Great stuff.

A week earlier and we were invading the pitch for different reasons at the disaster that was Notts County. That end was packed. Still if not for that game we wouldn’t have had Charlton!

Yep its turned mid day.From winning nothing for decades we now can`t stop.

Even in my wildest dreams I could never have envisaged in those dark and dismal - but still fun, somehow - days that there would come a time when I’d be watching City teams full of players the like of which have graced the Etihad for the last ten years - let alone see them winning trophy after trophy.

Yes a fantastic video. The pitch celebrations were only matched ny those at Blackburn in 2000 and I love the gutteral roar of City! city! on the pitch at the end of the match.

Heard the start of a ‘Hark now hear’ and ‘United here we come’ to add to the other chants.

City are back was the chant of my youth growing up as my childhood memories were most vivid around the 89 season. It was a chant of defiance that we would never be beaten.

I noticed on the espn ticker tape we sold David Phillips not long after tue match to Coventry City. Seems like another astute bit of business by Peter Swales.

I can actually remember being stood on the pitch and absolutely loving “City are back”. The next time it had as much spine-tingling resonance was Blackburn 2000. I also remember everyone singing “United, you are next” on the pitch. I can also remember singing “we’ll be up at 5 o’clock” before the game on the Kippax too.

I also remember everyone suddenly fleeing the police horses. You can see that bit too. Utterly ridiculous that the police tried to charge that celebrating crowd, by the way. Dangerous even.

That was one crazy bank holiday!! one of biggest away followings i’ve seen us take

I was 16 and my mum and dad were having a BBQ or the 80’s Sausage Roll equivalent with all the family around and wanted me there. I was like “Are you mad? City are getting promoted today, I’m going to Nottingham!”

All aboard the special from Manc which was wrecked on the way home. We must have had 10-12000 there that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.