Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

I can actually remember being stood on the pitch and absolutely loving “City are back”. The next time it had as much spine-tingling resonance was Blackburn 2000. I also remember everyone singing “United, you are next” on the pitch. I can also remember singing “we’ll be up at 5 o’clock” before the game on the Kippax too.

I also remember everyone suddenly fleeing the police horses. You can see that bit too. Utterly ridiculous that the police tried to charge that celebrating crowd, by the way. Dangerous even.
We were singing that “we’ll be up by 5 o’clock “ at the previous game at Notts County, that was as much a disaster as glorious this one was. That’s City. Dead right about the police. Having said that we were all digging up a piece of the hallowed turf to take home (I planted mine in my childhood home’s back garden) and a copper grabbed a guy digging out a penalty spot and shouted ‘oi stop that! ... I’m having that for my son’ and grabbed it. Different days, but the best City memory of my early years.

It was probably the only game where I felt, scared is probably not the right word, say claustrophobic.

I like you couldn't get to my regular spot which was to the right of the tunnel entrance near the cage where the away fans stood.

I ended up the other side of the Kippax, towards the North Stand, on line with the 18 yard box..

I couldn't put my hands by my side it was that full and at one stage I thought I was going to have a panic attack as I just couldn't move.

Sunderland fans were everywhere..

Their support that day was outstanding..!

I was only a youngster at the time but can remember this game like it was yesterday. Everyman and his dog came down from Sunderland that day.

In my time as a City fan (season ticket holder 74-20) it has to be beating Everton in the FA Cup QF Replay in 1981. The Kippax was like a choppy sea and the noise was incredible.

Last edited:
Think they would be long gone by now,my dad went he was 21 at the time.
The kids were passed down to the front in the air above the fans according to my great uncle, who was 15 at the time. Packed to the gunnels.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone who was there would post on here ?
My dad and uncle were both there but the former died in 1970 and the latter in 2000. Just out of interest my uncle was always shouting out unsavoury things to refs and then pointing the finger at my dad.

I don’t know why but I’ve never seen this. It’s the full half hour highlights from MOTD from the Charlton game, and really gives a taste of the atmosphere that day. Just listen to the noise. Also noteworthy are a number of songs which have died:

Here we go, here we go, here we go.
Going up, going up..
We shall not be moved
Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttyyyyyyyy (at corners)

etc.

I loved watching this and reminiscing

I'm surprised the Platt ln end if the Kippax was so empty, not how I remember it.

Edit filled up in the second half which is how my mind sees it.

Lawrence's shit mindgames...playing in a rag kit, that worked well. ;)

In my time as a City fan (season ticket holder 74-20) it has to be beating Everton in the FA Cup QF Replay in 1981. The Kippax was like a sea and the noise was incredible.

That and the League cup semi against Liverpool were incredible (and that fookin ref), I wonder what the official attendances were, because you genuinely couldn't move in the Kippax !

I was only a youngster at the time but can remember this game like it was yesterday. Everyman and his dog came down from Sunderland that day.

I was 27 at the time and like you feel like it was yesterday..!

Where have all those years gone..?

Life's whizzing by at 100mph..!

I suppose you can say football's changed for the better on the whole but I miss match days in the Kippax..!

Brilliant times..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.