Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

That [Everton QF replay] and the League cup semi against Liverpool were incredible (and that fookin ref), I wonder what the official attendances were, because you genuinely couldn't move in the Kippax !

The crowd for the Liverpool game was officially given as 48,045: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3427

The gate for the Everton match was officially stated as 52,532: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3418 - it was the first official full house since the FA Cup tie against Sunderland in February 1973, IIRC.

As all of us who watched City at the time know, these along with a great many other attendances in the Swales era should be marked with an asterisk to denote the likelihood of being seriously understated.

Second leg semi final League Cup vs Boro . Best for me because i was there with mates in the Kippax. Great result and i was young and impressionable. Has stayed with me for years. Don't think i've been to a better game live

The ones that spring to mind, no particular order:-

Everton quartet final replay
Feed the goat last derby (and all other wins against them)
Wigan play off
Charlton 5 1
Birmingham last home game week of season (before Blackburn away)
Boro semi final second leg
Second half of the Kings comeback v bar codes

PS anyone else who says I fiddled the gates will get sued from the grave

The crowd for the Liverpool game was officially given as 48,045: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3427

The gate for the Everton match was officially stated as 52,532: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3418 - it was the first official full house since the FA Cup tie against Sunderland in February 1973, IIRC.

As all of us who watched City at the time know, these along with a great many other attendances in the Swales era should be marked with an asterisk to denote the likelihood of being seriously understated.
Thanks bud, yes totally agree about the attendances, went to numerous derbies and these two were way fuller, I would have said there were about 5,000 more at the Everton game though oddly.
Funny how you remember stupid things, I’ve always remembered us going 3 up and then them pulling one back and a voice at the back of me shouting “don’t let them get another, it makes it look like it was close”, it was tough, but we played really well that night .

I was in the north stand for the Charlton game. There was quite a few cash turnstiles on the day. Seats weren't allocated and when we got in it was full with loads of people standing on the aisles. When you look at the footage you can't see the aisles cos they were full of people - naughty Peter swales.. the noise when the first goal went in was immense - very happy memories

I wonder if anyone who was there would post on here ?
Best i can manage was newcastle cup replay wednesday afternoon,leading 3-1 at h/t lost 5/4 the geordies never shut up we matched them but never drowned the Bladen races,
The Charles Buchan football annual named it the best game ever witnessed, 1958....

Only been to Maine Road once in my life. It was a midweek game under the lights against Walsall. You won 3-0 or 3-1 with the goat scoring one or two. Great atmosphere. Felt a bit wary coming out after as I believe it was near moss side?? It’s reputation was scary for an outsider lol.

I was 27 at the time and like you feel like it was yesterday..!

Where have all those years gone..?

Life's whizzing by at 100mph..!

I suppose you can say football's changed for the better on the whole but I miss match days in the Kippax..!

Brilliant times..!

it’s not everyday you see 20+ sunburnt Mackems Jump off a coach and to man line up against a wall to have a piss. They also tore up the platt lane and chucked it onto the pitch whilst the game was still being played. Add to the fact it was the first time I’d ever heard a north east accent, and for a starry eyed kid I thought it was all rather cool.

I remember a game against Sunderland in the early 90's. They had to win to stay up and had the whole Platt Lane end. We beat them 3-2 to send them down but the noise in the group that day was amazing

That was exactly the game I was thinking about. The game before was Derby and we sent them down as well that day. Quinn went in net and saved a penalty. It was pretty loud that day as well.

The Sunderland game was great though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.