Greatest winger to play for City

blue44 said:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the legendary superstar Billy Meridith,probably none of us ever saw him play,but one of the first superstars of early football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith

Come on lads,you've got to start reading more of Gary James stuff

Ha this ^^. Thought I'd get to the end of the thread with no one mentioning him!

Have to agree about Gary James- Cult Heroes. Meridith worked down the pit and even walked to games. Imagine that now....

tommy hutchinson was amazing.. no pace but he didnt need any, he just mezmerised defenders and went past them , always delivered a decent cross too. I loved tueart as well !!

Without Meredith City may never have become a successful club at all, so for major impact I guess he has to be number 1. My personal favourite was Peter Barnes - it was a pity he came along at a time when English football seemed not to want to use wingers.

Also, loved Tommy Hutchison for his impact.

Worth noting that although we all think of Mike Summerbee as a great winger (which he was), he was centre-forward for most of the 1967-68 title winning season.

Tueart was my hero in the 70's, too young to see Summerbee in his prime.

Barnes, Hutchinson as mentioned were good wingers for City too.

Can't see anyone has mentioned David White? Now if it was Martin "Buster" Phillips I could understand. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.