Greatest winger to play for City

I've been fortunate to watch some great ones. Starting with David Wagstaffe, the Buzzer, Peter Barnes and Dennis Tueart, David White, Peter Beagrie, SWP and now Jesus Navas. Am sure I must have left someone out but on balance because of what we won I'd have to say Buzzer was the best so far.

We have had a few decent wingers down the years, but it's got to be Summerbee for me.
Saw his debut at Ayresome Park. Wonderful to watch.
And hard as nails. Never backed down from anyone.

blue44 said:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the legendary superstar Billy Meridith,probably none of us ever saw him play,but one of the first superstars of early football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith

Come on lads,you've got to start reading more of Gary James stuff

Exactly!

Meredith the stuff of Legends. Absolute Lightening pace and skill that saw him play top flight football until he was almost 50 years of age!

There is a picture of him running past 2 Bolton Defenders in the 1904 Cup Final on the South West corner of our stadium. Bearing in mind this was taken with a camera from 100 years ago, you will not see many pictures that can illustrate just how fast someone is moving just like this one does. The poor Bolton Defenders, and there are 2 of them, are just blown away by Meredith, who is running that fast he is struggling to keep his balance!

It would appear that the 2nd coming of Jesus is actually the 2nd coming of Billy Meredith.

Peter Doherty said:
Labatt Blue said:
Barcon said:
;) Just fucking with you mate. I was fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder at the right time, Buzzer was indeed a fantastic player, certainly the best I have seen at City. I can't think of anyone that could come in and take his place either (and don't anybody dare mention you know who in the same breath as buzzer).
I remember Tueart right around when i started watching..not a pure winger tho
By the way Molson export! what next Labatt 50

Tueart would be perfect for us right now.
That would be dreamland for me mate,my favourite City player ever,and I've been watching them since 1956.Closely followed by Waggy,great player.

Whilst not the best you have to admit Keegan era, freescoring SWP was possibly the highest quality winger given the rest of the team's abilities at the time.

Tueart in my lifetime. Barnes too although I don't think he reached full potential. Great when both at best together and swapping wings to cut in.

Billy Meredith for me. Used to love watching him at Hyde Road. Toothpick in his mouth and the occasional cheeky fag as he played. What a player!

*oops, they know too much. must kill them all

Musampa and Castillo not got a mention?!

Simpson and SWP in my lifetime, but Meredith and Buzzer have the best stats.

Here's hoping Navas is up there very soon!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.