Grenfell Tower block disaster

Diane Abbott and numbers who the fuck would believe her? I think there will be a lot more than 79 but she's stirring up stuff that doesn't need to happen right now.

Nothing in this, except a paper printing it.

"I think" & "I excpect" are critical to her comment, she hasn't stated a fact or said it's a true stat, just what she thinks will happen.

plenty others including here have said the same.

Nothing in this, except a paper printing it.

"I think" & "I excpect" are critical to her comment, she hasn't stated a fact or said it's a true stat, just what she thinks will happen.

plenty others including here have said the same.
In the article it is claimed that, at a Labour Progress Group meeting, she said "Grenfell Tower is not just an accident; Grenfell Tower is not just an unfortunate incident. Those hundreds of people that died are a direct consequence of Tory attitudes in social housing". After the meeting, she said ""I think we are going to find that the numbers of people that have died will be in triple figures, just because it's a 23-storey (sic) block,". Well; 101 is in three figures. It isn't what I would call "hundreds" though. Overexaggerating in order for political point scoring, maybe?

Emotions have been running high in north London, with many residents complaining about having to leave their homes at such short notice.

Dozens of residents have refused to evacuate, with both Camden Council and the London Fire Brigade advising "in the strongest possible terms" for those still inside their buildings to take up temporary accommodation.

Ms Gould has warned that the council may explore "legal routes" which would force people to leave their homes.

"We need to get the buildings empty so we can worth with our partners to start the work to make these tower blocks safe, so that everyone can return to their normal lives as soon as possible," she said.

Affected homeowners have been given the chance to return to their homes to collect belongings under the watchful eye of security staff.

The blocks had been evacuated following news that cladding used on the Chalcots Estate was similar to that which spread the Grenfell Tower fire in Kensington earlier this month.

This is the important bit and why the residents need to suck it up for the moment

"The the local fire safety authority found alongside the cladding problem, which is a serious problem, multiple fire safety failures, including, for example, insulation of gas pipes, fire doors missing, plywood above doors and that's what makes Camden different and why the decision was made to evacuate."

Responding to mounting criticism over Camden's handling of the evacuation, Sajid Javid, the Communities and Local Government minister told Sky News: "After the Grenfell Tower tragedy, it is vital we carry out checks and make sure people are safe.

Frankly I agree with the need to evacuate the residents.

Frankly however it is a little ironic that the very law that they choose to use to force evacuation they chose to ignore when risk assessing the cladding material. Each of these things they must do now are linked to indifference at the time of construction.

Frankly I agree with the need to evacuate the residents.

Frankly however it is a little ironic that the very law that they choose to use to force evacuation they chose to ignore when risk assessing the cladding material. Each of these things they must do now are linked to indifference at the time of construction.

I very much doubt the person responsible for deciding to evacuate the building was at all responsible for determining the the cladding was suitable to be used on a building above 18 metres. Its not related in the slightest but just a point to criticise.

I very much doubt the person responsible for deciding to evacuate the building was at all responsible for determining the the cladding was suitable to be used on a building above 18 metres. Its not related in the slightest but just a point to criticise.

Apologies if you thought my post just referred to any one person.

Let me clarify, my criticism is aimed at the councils generally who appear to be on the point of using legal persuasion to remove residents. If the councils had taken the law regarding health and safety as seriously then there would be no need for the evacuation.

Apologies if you thought my post just referred to any one person.

Let me clarify, my criticism is aimed at the councils generally who appear to be on the point of using legal persuasion to remove residents. If the councils had taken the law regarding health and safety as seriously then there would be no need for the evacuation.

I would be careful to jumping to any conclusions. Tower blocks would be regularly checked by Fire Risk Assessors have they reported them as dangerous? If so you could argue the council is culpable. I also very much doubt anyone at the Council knew of the dangers of the material in the cladding and would have trusted the designers and contractors (the professionals) in using the correct materials.

There is no doubt there are people responsible but at the moment its difficult to assess who.

Personally I think there are much wider issues to this than the role of the councils. But they are taking the brunt as more difficult questions do not want to be answered.

Last edited:
I would be careful to jumping to any conclusions. Tower blocks would be regularly checked by Fire Risk Assessors have they reported them as dangerous? If so you could argue the council is culpable. I also very much doubt anyone at the Council knew of the dangers of the material in the cladding and would have trusted the designers and contractors (the professionals) in using the correct materials.

There is no doubt there are people responsible but at the moment its difficult to assess who.

Personally I think there are much wider issues to this than the role of the councils. But they are taking the brunt as more difficult questions do not want to be answered.

It was their job to risk assess the materials used in the construction so doubting their knowledge on that subject seems a little strange.
I agree there may be more to this than meets the eye but there are laws in place to enforce Health and Safety which are enforced at various stages by the HSE and or the council.

I don't agree with this "something for nothing" culture of giving the residents a plush posh new gaff for nowt.

It's a nice gesture but what about the people who have had to work their whole life to get there? or the people who have worked hard their whole life and don't.. it will encourage people to do fires to get the same treatment.

I don't agree with this "something for nothing" culture of giving the residents a plush posh new gaff for nowt.

It's a nice gesture but what about the people who have had to work their whole life to get there? or the people who have worked hard their whole life and don't.. it will encourage people to do fires to get the same treatment.
They are not getting a plush new place,some of them will be in affordable homes in the same complex
As for something for nothing,jesus christ they ave lost family and everything they own

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.