Greta Thunberg

No idea why people ( on either side} keep talking about 'saving the planet'. We're just one species that's been around for a few minutes at the most as far as the plant is concerned. The planet will be just fine with or without humans until the Sun runs out of fuel (or there is some massive collision with something out there). It's pointless ranting on about how we got here and we'll have to adapt to survive. I personally feel that the UK trumpeting about 'leading the world' is utter bollocks. If the UK stopped producing any carbon emissions tomorrow then the slack would probably be taken up by India/China with a couple of months. The Western economy is based on economic 'growth' and we've managed to convince the 'developing' economies that's the right thing to do. As they say "you reap what you sow'.
Treating it ( the planet) with some respect would be a start.

A population cull is probably the only chance of this planet surviving in its current guise.
Won’t happen though and the human race being selfish won’t be changing anytime soon so I guess the big asteroid strike is our only hope..

The only little glimmer of optimism I can place in here is that our global peak population estimates keep getting revised down. We used to think peak would be 11.2Bn around 2100, now it's down to 10.4Bn in 2080. We passed the peak growth rate way back in the 1960s and in the last 10 years the growth rate has absolutely plummeted. Most developed nations are entering declining population territory because raising children is harder than it's ever been - more women in work, high childcare and housing costs, less disposal income, wage stagnation. So it's not really happening for good reasons, but it's happening. The big factor that remains to be seen is how quickly Africa's growth rate slows as more of its population enters the middle classes.

If growth rate continues to drop we might stay under 10Bn.

Reactions: Vic
I've never had anybody who prattles on about a "climate change agenda" adequately explain to me why all the scientific bodies and governments of the world would conspire to have to spend billions on developing incredibly inconvenient, inferior technology and wage a pitched battle with insanely powerful hydrocarbon conglomerates that have dominated the worlds economies for over a century... for absolutely no reason. European countries actively choosing to handcuff their economic productivity and competitiveness versus heavier polluting countries... for absolutely no reason. Forcing their citizens to drive electric cars... for absolutely no reason.

What in the ever-loving fuck would be the point in any of this?

We joke about Flat Earthers, but this claim is really absolutely no different in its complete lack of any cogent reasoning. Why the fuck would NASA hide that the Earth was flat? They wouldn't because it would be pointless. The same as obfuscating the nature of the global climate would be pointless. Not only is a conspiracy on that scale completely impossible, it also makes zero sense unless you also believe in dragons or unicorns and shit like that.

I'm sorry that some people's feelings get hurt when we state a fact like "2023 was the hottest year on record by an absolute country mile". Facts like the latest climate sensitivity measurements suggest that we've fucked up so badly that in our lifetime we are going to see significant climate refugees flooding to the global north. However, these are facts, facts that adults talk about in rooms where people actually have a clue.

These deniers can continue to boast about polluting and creepily rag on a 21-year-old woman for speaking inconvenient truths while the adults try to figure out some actual solutions (though it is almost certainly already too late).
Great post. Would love to add to it but you've summed it up superbly.

I've never had anybody who prattles on about a "climate change agenda" adequately explain to me why all the scientific bodies and governments of the world would conspire to have to spend billions on developing incredibly inconvenient, inferior technology and wage a pitched battle with insanely powerful hydrocarbon conglomerates that have dominated the worlds economies for over a century... for absolutely no reason. European countries actively choosing to handcuff their economic productivity and competitiveness versus heavier polluting countries... for absolutely no reason. Forcing their citizens to drive electric cars... for absolutely no reason.

What in the ever-loving fuck would be the point in any of this?

We joke about Flat Earthers, but this claim is really absolutely no different in its complete lack of any cogent reasoning. Why the fuck would NASA hide that the Earth was flat? They wouldn't because it would be pointless. The same as obfuscating the nature of the global climate would be pointless. Not only is a conspiracy on that scale completely impossible, it also makes zero sense unless you also believe in dragons or unicorns and shit like that.

I'm sorry that some people's feelings get hurt when we state a fact like "2023 was the hottest year on record by an absolute country mile". Facts like the latest climate sensitivity measurements suggest that we've fucked up so badly that in our lifetime we are going to see significant climate refugees flooding to the global north. However, these are facts, facts that adults talk about in rooms where people actually have a clue.

These deniers can continue to boast about polluting and creepily rag on a 21-year-old woman for speaking inconvenient truths while the adults try to figure out some actual solutions (though it is almost certainly already too late).
I'll second the fact that that is a brilliant bang on post

A population cull is probably the only chance of this planet surviving in its current guise.
Won’t happen though and the human race being selfish won’t be changing anytime soon so I guess the big asteroid strike is our only hope..

We can't cull if we have opportunists wanting to import more and more people to do the jobs people already here wont do.

So more babies will be made ensuring the future generations cough through fog and smog, when we finally die out as a species the planet will recover and thrive.

We can't cull if we have opportunists wanting to import more and more people to do the jobs people already here wont do.

So more babies will be made ensuring the future generations cough through fog and smog, when we finally die out as a species the planet will recover and thrive.
I’ve seen that movie :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.