Greta Thunberg

I think instead of moaning about how the message is delivered we should start doing what the message tells us.

The UN's special envoy for climate change says the commitments made under the Paris Climate agreement are no longer enough.

Commitments made under the Paris climate agreement are now no longer enough to limit global warming to acceptable levels, the United Nations Special Envoy for Climate Change has told Sky News.

His comments come as heads of state and government gather in New York for the UN climate action summit.

Luis Alfonso de Alba said: "The biggest problem we have is that we need to increase the targets.

"If we fulfil the commitments that were made in Paris in 2015 we will still be very much below what is needed.

"The latest reports of the scientific community tell us that we need to double and in some cases to triple what we have committed in Paris.

I think instead of moaning about how the message is delivered we should start doing what the message tells us.

Agreed pal, I don’t see how anyone could not agree about what the message tells us.
All I would say, is that this thread bears her name, not Climate Change, Environmental catastrophe etc, so in this thread I’d say measured comments about her, and the way she delivers her message,
are valid. On a forum people find it easier to comment on the delivery cos it’s ‘easier’ - there are no easy answers to the really big questions are there? But I agree with you, ‘we’ should start doing

Agreed pal, I don’t see how anyone could not agree about what the message tells us.
All I would say, is that this thread bears her name, not Climate Change, Environmental catastrophe etc, so in this thread I’d say measured comments about her, and the way she delivers her message,
are valid. On a forum people find it easier to comment on the delivery cos it’s ‘easier’ - there are no easy answers to the really big questions are there? But I agree with you, ‘we’ should start doing

I don’t disagree with that but what I don’t get understand is why people take issue with the delivery.

She’s not bossing us all around through the camera, wagging her finger and scolding ordinary people to put the recycling in the right bin or flick the light switches off.

She’s going after Government and those running the world, as she bloody well should.

4IT4tVq.jpg

Bravo, perfect

She gets the next generation engaged.
There is s point to be made and the next generation of voters are quite important.

When the next generation decide that they're not going to constantly want the next new phone, the next set of this months fashionable clothes or trainers, when they're going to walk a mile or so to school instead of insisting mummy or daddy take them in their 4 litre range rover or they decide to have a little holiday in the UK instead of wanting to fly off around the world then maybe i'll listen to them.

99% of these kids will be on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, You tube and probably all have whatever the latest games console is without seeing the irony in any of what they're demanding the day they want to be seen giving a shit.

There is a great article in this weeks NS by Hettie O'Brien who states that climate change deniers are almost invariably men and old. It was not the environment they feared, it was the fear of losing an industrial society dominated by them.

If you can find it on the NS website, have a read, I think its really interesting.

When the next generation decide that they're not going to constantly want the next new phone, the next set of this months fashionable clothes or trainers, when they're going to walk a mile or so to school instead of insisting mummy or daddy take them in their 4 litre range rover or they decide to have a little holiday in the UK instead of wanting to fly off around the world then maybe i'll listen to them.

99% of these kids will be on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, You tube and probably all have whatever the latest games console is without seeing the irony in any of what they're demanding the day they want to be seen giving a shit.

The culture war obsession. It’s always privileged, pampered middle class kids that are championing the climate change fight. Never just ordinary kids. Or people.

Fully agree with all of that. Had the same conversation at coffee this morning.
And to me that is probably where the criticism of these protests should lie.
I stick with my point that this is as much a message to that very generation as it is to governments.
They need to take their faces out of their phones and engage.
They need to be informed.
They are the next generation of voters.

I would say the vast majority of those protesting just want a day off school (count my young lad in that crew).
But if the penny drops with even 10% then it's a start.

Regarding the argument of, who is backing Greta Thunberg?
I would say that's a valid question also. Always look to see who is benefitting.
But the unfortunate thing nowadays is that to be heard you do need backing.
Look who is funding the PM of Britain.
Look who is funding the POTUS.
Look who is funding any of the research done by climate experts on either side of the debate. who stands to profit?

Getting the next generation engaged is important.
I don't see anything she has stood for yet, doing any harm.

Fully agree with all of that. Had the same conversation at coffee this morning.

And to me that is probably where the criticism of these protests should lie.

I stick with my point that this is as much a message to that very generation as it is to governments.

They need to take their faces out of their phones and engage.

They need to be informed.

They are the next generation of voters.

I would say the vast majority of those protesting just want a day off school (count my young lad in that crew).

But if the penny drops with even 10% then it's a start.

Regarding the argument of, who is backing Greta Thunberg?

I would say that's a valid question also. Always look to see who is benefitting.

But the unfortunate thing nowadays is that to be heard you do need backing.

Look who is funding the PM of Britain.

Look who is funding the POTUS.

Look who is funding any of the research done by climate experts on either side of the debate. who stands to profit?

Getting the next generation engaged is important.

I don't see anything she has stood for yet, doing any harm.

The next generation are getting engaged in the wrong way. It is shameful that teachers etc are not pushing a route of education rather than protest.

They are being attached to a predominately left wing movement that holds climate change as 2nd to establishing a hard-left system of government and economy.

Ask them their views on nuclear power which would instantly solve all carbon emission problems.

At the end of the day, standing in the streets and protesting about cancer won't cure cancer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.