Greta Thunberg

What do you want to do, give up?
That's exactly it for a lot of people (not say it is for inbetween). First it was denial of the problem, then it was denial that humans were the cause, now it's the futility of doing anything. The tactics have changed as public opinion has, but the end goal of business as usual has remained.

As for the whole China issue, well it's worth mentioning that the USA's per capita consumption is over twice that of China's. I know per capita isn't of huge importance in this issue, but another issue is that while China does have a growing middle class, a large portion of China's CO2 emissions are presumably caused by factories making shit for us in the West. What we've basically done is outsourced a large part of our manufacturing to countries with more polluting energy sources. So encouraging people in the West to live a less wasteful lifestyle will have an effect beyond our own borders, because that's the nature of globalization. For those reasons, I don't think you can accuse her targeting of the USA to be misplaced. It doesn't mean that emerging economies aren't also an issue.

Fits and starts mate. You'll perhaps notice I disappear when it gets busy. I"ve not done more than a 50 or 60 hour week since the end of June now, thank God. Although still have some right stinkers of days. Got up at 03:00 on Tuesday to fly to Stuttgart, left the house at 03:50 and then after a full day in Germany presenting to around 30 people, found my return flight home was cancelled and had to come back via Brussels. Got back home at 01:30 in the morning the next day. So earned my corn that day for sure.
Wait till flying's banned and you've got to do that trip on your bike.

What do you want to do, give up?
May as well for all the piggin difference it will make. I know that sounds flippant and I don't really advocate that. But let's face it, that is the cold hard reality. There is NOTHING the UK can do that will make so much as diddly squat different to climate change. Nil, zero.

May as well for all the piggin difference it will make. I know that sounds flippant and I don't really advocate that. But let's face it, that is the cold hard reality. There is NOTHING the UK can do that will make so much as diddly squat different to climate change. Nil, zero.

That’s a really quite sad and pessimistic outlook mate.

It must be very depressing for you to think the risks are inevitable.

That’s a really quite sad and pessimistic outlook mate.

It must be very depressing for you to think the risks are inevitable.
Not remotely. I think the cataclysmic, apocalyptic diatribe we are subjected to day in, day out, is completely and utterly over the top. Over the next 100 years, the sea may rise by a foot or two. Big deal. I could not be more relaxed about it if I'd taken an extra Temazepam.

That's why you need international agreements. The problem we're always going to have is that the developed countries are basically the ones that have caused most of the problems, and you can't exactly turn around to emerging economies and say that they can't have the same standard of living as us because we've fucked up the planet. People say that there are too many people on the planet, but the reality is that there are too many rich people on the planet. It would barely make any difference is everyone in poverty had 7 kids, but China bringing 400 million people from farming communities into the middle class, all with cars, air conditioning and consumer lifestyles has had a huge impact. Having said that, there's a vast difference between developed countries on this issue. The USA has double the per capita CO2 emissions of China, but most of Western Europe has about half. You'd hope that prosperity and technology will allow them to make the shift from coal to more sustainable methods, but I'm not sure.

Fits and starts mate. You'll perhaps notice I disappear when it gets busy. I"ve not done more than a 50 or 60 hour week since the end of June now, thank God. Although still have some right stinkers of days. Got up at 03:00 on Tuesday to fly to Stuttgart, left the house at 03:50 and then after a full day in Germany presenting to around 30 people, found my return flight home was cancelled and had to come back via Brussels. Got back home at 01:30 in the morning the next day. So earned my corn that day for sure.

That does sound shit, I get road rage if it takes me more than 20 mins to get home. I was born to shirk.

Not remotely. I think the cataclysmic, apocalyptic diatribe we are subjected to day in, day out, is completely and utterly over the top. Over the next 100 years, the sea may rise by a foot or two. Big deal. I could not be more relaxed about it if I'd taken an extra Temazepam.

Listen, I don’t think we’ll ever reach a point where it’s like the films the Day After Tomorrow or fucking Waterworld but there is a danger to a lot of people and wildlife.

There is a benefit to increasing carbon in the atmosphere but we are getting to the point where it’s dangerous levels.

Technology will come to the rescue either by directly cooling the earth and replacing the ice lost or by taking carbon out of the atmosphere directly.

The trouble is we need to buy ourselves time to allow that tech to be invented.

If we don’t we could see large areas of the planet become uninhabitable and this doesn’t just mean rising sea levels. There’s also other extremes that will make heat and humidity levels beyond what a person or mammal can live in.

It’s all about time for me and we need to give those trying to fix this as much as possible, which is down to the governments.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.