Greta Thunberg

Not remotely. I think the cataclysmic, apocalyptic diatribe we are subjected to day in, day out, is completely and utterly over the top. Over the next 100 years, the sea may rise by a foot or two. Big deal. I could not be more relaxed about it if I'd taken an extra Temazepam.
Interesting perspective you have there.

You're shit scared of Brexit but don't give a toss about climate change.

Interesting perspective you have there.

You're shit scared of Brexit but don't give a toss about climate change.
Because I think one would do a load of damage to our country and the other one won't. It's not that illogical.

And it's not that I don't give a toss about some impending disaster by the way. It's that I don't believe for one second there is any impending disaster. Distant - very distant - workable, manageable difficulties are not something I lose sleep over.

Because I think one would do a load of damage to our country and the other one won't. It's not that illogical.

And it's not that I don't give a toss about some impending disaster by the way. It's that I don't believe for one second there is any impending disaster. Distant - very distant - workable, manageable difficulties are not something I lose sleep over.

Tell that to the inhabitants of many Pacific islands.

Or the inhabitants of Bangladesh.

A 1-2 foot rise in sea levels is utterly catastrophic for them.

There was a recent series of reports on the Solomon Islands shown on tv here with some fairly disturbing ‘then and now’ pictures showing how much land has been lost to the ocean already.

This was shown on ITV as part of the main nightly tv news program, so it’s not as though you need to be especially well informed or go very far out of your way to understand that there is a problem in the here and now.

There was a recent series of reports on the Solomon Islands shown on tv here with some fairly disturbing ‘then and now’ pictures showing how much land has been lost to the ocean already.

This was shown on ITV as part of the main nightly tv news program, so it’s not as though you need to be especially well informed or go very far out of your way to understand that there is a problem in the here and now.
Fuck all to do with human caused sea level rise that mate. Sea level rise due to anthropogenic CO2 thus far is a few inches.

Fuck all to do with human caused sea level rise that mate. Sea level rise due to anthropogenic CO2 thus far is a few inches.

What difference does that make? We are where we are for whatever reason. (Under water, in the case of the Pacific Islanders). What matters now is that we don’t, by our actions, make a bad situation worse. We can’t either know or control what Nature has in store for the planet. We CAN control the extent to which we as a species contribute to global warming.

What difference does that make? We are where we are for whatever reason. (Under water, in the case of the Pacific Islanders). What matters now is that we don’t, by our actions, make a bad situation worse. We can’t either know or control what Nature has in store for the planet. We CAN control the extent to which we as a species contribute to global warming.
How do you explain pacific islanders being under water as a result of a few inches of sea level rise? They must have been not very hilly islands!

How do you explain pacific islanders being under water as a result of a few inches of sea level rise? They must have been not very hilly islands!

No idea, I’m not a climatologist. All I know is that the islands are now a lot smaller than they were 15 years ago as a result of a rise in sea levels, that once populated areas are now under water and that whatever the balance between human made and natural causes of climate change, humanity needs to stop making a bad situation even worse.

Have you seen a map of what the Earth looked like millions of years ago?

It happens and it has happened for billions of years. Climate change is indeed human created but change is always inevitable, ask every single living dinosaur.

It is not possible to have a population of circa 6-7bn+ and remain carbon/pollution/plastic etc free.

If you are threatened by climate change or any event in this way then unfortunately there is only one answer, adapt and move.

Our entire species has been defined by its ability to survive and not by its ability to moan and drown.

Have you seen a map of what the Earth looked like millions of years ago?

It happens and it has happened for billions of years. Climate change is indeed human created but change is always inevitable, ask every single living dinosaur.

It is not possible to have a population of circa 6-7bn+ and remain carbon/pollution/plastic etc free.

If you are threatened by climate change or any event in this way then unfortunately there is only one answer, adapt and move.

Our entire species has been defined by its ability to survive and not by its ability to moan and drown.

Well said.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.