Greta Thunberg

Sure, that's one of the biggest obstacles we have on this issue - climate doesn't respect national boundaries.

I agree that climate change is exploited politically, exploited by corporations, exploited by the media and exploited by marketing executives who want good PR for their brands. And much of the news about it IS overly alarmist and taking "worst case scenario" predictions and reporting them as fact. All of this is true.

You're also correct to say that our solutions to climate change are so politicised that it's a minefield trying to separate solutions that will actually help with solutions which are using the issue to push a different agenda. Renewable energy for example is a linked but different issue from climate change that has somehow become mixed together by people like in your electric cars example.

However, the misuse of climate change by people looking to exploit it is not the fault of the data. The data has no agenda or morality, it is just raw data. And that does show a heavy correlation between human activity and the heating of the planet. It's not the science's fault that it is being used badly. The climate change phenomena is real even if it is been used for fantasy solutions.

You might enjoy these (rather long) videos about climate change. They are by a climate science journalist who has spent much of his life trying to debunk the issue and the myths spouted by both the left and right wings by focusing strictly on the science. Here, he looks at potential Governmental climate change solutions from a conservative rather than left wing mindset:

Thanks for your well argued reasoned response.. The video and what he says Makes complete sense to me. If we are going through a global warming/climate change and how we should go about it is what should happen as in that video.

The part on china opened my eyes, also the fact that with wind farms and solar can make to much electricity, its up to us to figure this out and how to this solve that problem.

That's my take on this too, what can we actually do to make any difference when it has become a political football, this Greta lass is being used isn't she? I am under no illusion that she genuinely honestly means well but the shady lot behind her put her front and center so they can get a message across and avoid criticism.

Well all we can do is acknowledge the problem and start tackling it. Whether that be by Government intervention or free market entrepreneurship is really up to your political leanings.

As I said to waspish, the video I posted above covers some of the more realistic ideas on how climate change is being tackled.

Well all we can do is acknowledge the problem and start tackling it. Whether that be by Government intervention or free market entrepreneurship is really up to your political leanings.

As I said to waspish, the video I posted above covers some of the more realistic ideas on how climate change is being tackled.

I am just getting a coffee and will be watching them, thanks for posting them sir.

Am pretty opened minded thanks.

But apparently not open minded enough to consider that the multi-trillion dollar industries who risk losing everything due to climate change legislation would fund studies attempting to disprove it.

VW group got €40 Billion in fines because they cheated emissions tests, you don't think they would rather have thrown a billion at disproving climate change if it was possible?

But apparently not open minded enough to consider that the multi-trillion dollar industries who risk losing everything due to climate change legislation would fund studies attempting to disprove it.

The major energy companies are the biggest funders for climate change research and renewable technology. It would be fair to say that without the support of the big energy companies we'd be in a lot worse position than we are now in terms of workable solutions.

The major energy companies are the biggest funders for climate change research and renewable technology. It would be fair to say that without the support of the big energy companies we'd be in a lot worse position than we are now in terms of workable solutions.

They are now, because even they know that climate change is real, and diversifying into green sources is their biggest safeguard against an inevitable future.

That doesn't stop the top 5 spending $200m a year on lobbying against climate change legislation in the US. Besides, energy companies are not the only ones exposed to climate change legislation - the automotive industry, the food industry, aviation.

Literally trillions would be saved if it was possible to disprove Climate Change, and they have tried.

No sorry that isnt good enough to explain why you responded in an obnoxious fashion.

I was just trying to put some context into the debate. Let me explain, no doubt climate change is occurring. The climate has changed lots of times in the past 2.4million years, what we term geologically the Quaternary period. In that time it has been significantly warmer and colder than today. The polar ice sheets have disappeared completely and returned to cover large areas of the northern land masses. The last cooling period the loch lomond readvance was 10,000yrs ago. And this happened really quickly for reasons we still do not understand. There is no doubt that these periods of warming and cooling caused mass extinctions of some species. However I was pointing out that given man's ingenuity we will survive global warming especially as large areas of the northern hemisphere are largely uninhabited. The points about natural disasters were also for context. Mankind can do nothing to prevent some very sudden near extinction level events. Lake Toba last erupted 75,000 years ago and Yellowstone circa 600,000 years ago these are VEI 8 eruptions that will cause planet wide very sudden mass extinctions. We havent had a VEI 8 in the Holocene epoch ie the last 10000 years. But we will get another that is certain. Theres been about 20-30 since we have been on two legs so to speak. Other natural disasters that would be catastrophic for man kind geographically include mega tsunamis. We are not talking about the Japanese and Indonesian events but things much bigger. Another Storrega slide in the north sea would flood and wipe out much of the South East UK and northern European coastline. This last occured only 10,000yrs ago. My final point was that there are imminent issues affecting us we can do something about natural resources are not unlimited. China is sweeping up large reserves of metals, notably copper, nickle, cobalt and gold in Africa and South America at such a pace its frightening. These will be needed for EV production amoungst other things. Food production and distribution needs to be made much more efficient and lastly but not least population growth needs stemming somehow. I certainly wasnt trying to belittle Greta but I do think we need to be focussing on other possibly more imminent issues as well that we could do something about. Anyway thats just my thoughts on the matter having studied and worked in the geological industry the past 30 plus years.

I’m getting ready to go to a wedding so I’m going to keep this brief.

Can you tell me what the harm is in turning our energy into clean and renewable?

As in if climate change proves to not be man’s fault or something we can change and we’ve got clean and renewable energy anyway, what the problem with it is going to be?

Even if you’re sceptical, even if you believe there’s other issues to consider, what’s the problem with turning green?

Of course there is! Since records began is my favourite when mentioning the weather whats that about 200 years?! Wow earths been around for billions of years!
If the earth never changed there be still one mass land.

Just think about it earth been around about 4 billion years the continents I think started breaking up 170 odd million years ago. Last 4 billion years the earth had to put up with far worse than humans.

The earth has had to put up with worse than humans before correct, well maybe not you (joke btw), but we don’t want to go through the mass extinctions that the dinosaurs did, do we?

I really don’t see that argument. Yes the earth will be still here and life will go on in some capacity, if the climate gets so bad, but why do we want to get to that?

Let’s just say I’m wrong here and climate change is something we can’t help or is propaganda, it’s not but just for a moment imagine it is. If we switch to clean energy then what happens? Nothing, we’re left with an infinite supply of energy that we can use.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.