Guitar Thread

What's the cheapest acoustic you bought and was it any good? I got one from Chase in Town about 15 years ago for £50...still play it now. It's ok..ish. Not brilliant. The tone fades a bit too quick.
Any tips for making a cheap acoustic guitar BETTER?

What's the cheapest acoustic you bought and was it any good? I got one from Chase in Town about 15 years ago for £50...still play it now. It's ok..ish. Not brilliant. The tone fades a bit too quick.
Any tips for making a cheap acoustic guitar BETTER?
Replace the plastic hardware for wooden and or the pins for wood or ivory etc.

I mean to can spend whatever you want upgrading all of the replaceable trinkets on it.

Bought an acoustic off a guy that could no longer play as he was dying - he wanted it to go to a good home so was happy to sell it for £75(?) from memory - I paid him £100 and name it 'Dead man's strings '.

DMS has now been gifted on to the brother in law who started playing and I expect him to do the same when he is ready to upgrade...........

Replace the plastic hardware for wooden and or the pins for wood or ivory etc.

I mean to can spend whatever you want upgrading all of the replaceable trinkets on it.

Bought an acoustic off a guy that could no longer play as he was dying - he wanted it to go to a good home so was happy to sell it for £75(?) from memory - I paid him £100 and name it 'Dead man's strings '.

DMS has now been gifted on to the brother in law who started playing and I expect him to do the same when he is ready to upgrade...........
Ivory? Isn't that controversial? I think it IS the plastic bits that deaden the tone, so I'll replace them. I've got the neck right by adjusting that truss rod thing. Took some time and fiddling about, but now the strings are flush and how I like them.

Ivory? Isn't that controversial? I think it IS the plastic bits that deaden the tone, so I'll replace them. I've got the neck right by adjusting that truss rod thing. Took some time and fiddling about, but now the strings are flush and how I like them.
Fucking hell I didn't realise this was the world morality thread!?! ;-)

Whilst I do not own any myself (to be fair, if they were used and no-one new had to die for it I wouldn't necessarily be against it), I believe they are very good for transmitting sound..............

Fucking hell I didn't realise this was the world morality thread!?! ;-)

Whilst I do not own any myself (to be fair, if they were used and no-one new had to die for it I wouldn't necessarily be against it), I believe they are very good for transmitting sound..............
I just thought it was banned. They have "bone" too. Who's? ..i don't know.
I've just been looking on Amazon, and they have kits that are pretty cheap. I'll replace it all. I'm so used to playing this guitar as it is for years now that the tone sounds normal to me....but as soon as i hear a more expensive guitar, that's when I get pissed off. ;)

I just thought it was banned. They have "bone" too. Who's? ..i don't know.
I've just been looking on Amazon, and they have kits that are pretty cheap. I'll replace it all. I'm so used to playing this guitar as it is for years now that the tone sounds normal to me....but as soon as i hear a more expensive guitar, that's when I get pissed off. ;)
Sorry mate yes bone would be the next up so to speak.

But again, unless you are comparing it in a 'Pepsi' style ear challenge then ignorance can be bliss.

I've been flirting with buying a Martin (yes, @Bill Walker again), but I'm certain it will either leave me cold (as I have built it up too much), or it will be that great that I effectively make my others redundant..........

Sorry mate yes bone would be the next up so to speak.

But again, unless you are comparing it in a 'Pepsi' style ear challenge then ignorance can be bliss.

I've been flirting with buying a Martin (yes, @Bill Walker again), but I'm certain it will either leave me cold (as I have built it up too much), or it will be that great that I effectively make my others redundant..........
Martins are lovely and they do have a habit of making others redundant but also not all Martins are created equally. If you buy an X series it will probably disappoint you once the excitement wears off. They're nicely made but a laminate body so don't sound any better than many others on the market. They can be taken anywhere though without too many worries and you do have that C. F. Martin logo to flash around:-)
The Road Series are quite a lot better, and mainly solid wood, often unusual tonewoods. These are still more affordable as they are MIM (made in Mexico) like the X series. They are also able to go anywhere.
Once you get higher that's where the magic kicks in and it all gets down to body style, wood combination, trim level- it's just like buying a car really.
My main regret about buying a Martin is not getting one sooner. My other regret is not realizing how you shouldn't get one if you have a tendency for any sort of addiction- I now have 4, all different and all loved in different ways.

Martins are lovely and they do have a habit of making others redundant but also not all Martins are created equally. If you buy an X series it will probably disappoint you once the excitement wears off. They're nicely made but a laminate body so don't sound any better than many others on the market. They can be taken anywhere though without too many worries and you do have that C. F. Martin logo to flash around:-)
The Road Series are quite a lot better, and mainly solid wood, often unusual tonewoods. These are still more affordable as they are MIM (made in Mexico) like the X series. They are also able to go anywhere.
Once you get higher that's where the magic kicks in and it all gets down to body style, wood combination, trim level- it's just like buying a car really.
My main regret about buying a Martin is not getting one sooner. My other regret is not realizing how you shouldn't get one if you have a tendency for any sort of addiction- I now have 4, all different and all loved in different ways.
I'm pretty sure that one day whilst perusing eBay, I will end up buying a used D-45 if it's in good nic and down to about £6k.

There was one for sale up in Cumbria about 12-18 months ago which I did very well to resist.

When I finally dive in, I think I'll end up pretty high end but I still don't want it to be at the expense of my Yamaha's.

They've been tremendous servants..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.