Gundogan back to Dortmund ?

Brilliant since the turn of the year-exceptionally gifted player likely to improve again next season.

100%. I would have been indifferent if he left this time last year but he has stepped up massively this year. I was one of the doubters but he's proven me wrong and we would not have won the league without him. If he goes back to Germany, I'd wish him all the best. A fantastic footballer.

I think Phil Foden is already better than Gundogan for the advanced midfield role. If these rumours are true then I expect Ilkay knows it too.

In time... but I don’t think Phil has the composure at present to be at the same level as Gundogan.

He did ok in the second Spurs home game, to be fair. Probably our hardest game of the last 10 in the league and he scored the winner.
Scored the winner as he was right place, right time, which deserves it's own credit. But he didn't give us any control or solidity in general play in that game. He's getting there but he's not quite ready to play week in, week out, just to play on his better days.

Scored the winner as he was right place, right time, which deserves it's own credit. But he didn't give us any control or solidity in general play in that game. He's getting there but he's not quite ready to play week in, week out, just to play on his better days.

I agree, but he was thrown in to a pressure cooker environment and whilst wasn't perfect, played his part in an important win, giving other players more recovery time.

Each year, he'll get more and more game time as he grows up physically and gets even more used to the system.

I agree, but he was thrown in to a pressure cooker environment and whilst wasn't perfect, played his part in an important win, giving other players more recovery time.

Each year, he'll get more and more game time as he grows up physically and gets even more used to the system.
Yeah, that's true. But I would still say it's important to throw him in at the right times when he's smashing it in training and his confidence is high, it means he'll play better in games and the neural/muscular memory side of that is important as well as the confidence and habits side.

Yeah, that's true. But I would still say it's important to throw him in at the right times when he's smashing it in training and his confidence is high, it means he'll play better in games and the neural/muscular memory side of that is important as well as the confidence and habits side.

Absolutely. Also if that coincides with two "easier" games back to back, get him used to 2 games in a row etc.

Absolutely. Also if that coincides with two "easier" games back to back, get him used to 2 games in a row etc.
Yep. Very important on the conditioning side as those younger players can't get their fitness up to the level of senior pros until their growth spurts are done.

In time... but I don’t think Phil has the composure at present to be at the same level as Gundogan.

Maybe composure and a few other qualities like a well timed run into a dangerous area or a deft pass, i'll grant you Gundogan is better. Foden however gives energy to our midfield that is lacking. Pressing, finding space to receive the ball, and getting back to defend when we lose the ball. Foden has the skills but we've used him infrequently. Give him a run of games and you'll have all you need to know about how good he is.

As I said before, Gundogan has been great covering for Fernandinho. I love the way he keeps things moving, orchestrating, setting our rhythm. But play him further forward, especially in games where he starts, and my abiding memory is of him unwilling to turn with the ball once receiving it. He frustratingly plays it back. He's become too safe.

I'll take the fearlessness of youth over composure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.