Happy 25th Anniversary of Paul Dickov Day

The day I became a City fan. Was 4 years old, almost 5. Watched the game with my mum and dad at the Village Pub (now the Village Hotel) in Cheadle on that big screen they used to have. Obviously had no idea what was going on but in all the excitement of Dickov's goal a totally random bloke lifted me up in the air and stared into my eyes like I was his own son. After everything had calmed down I apparently toddled over to my mum and said "I'm going to be a City fan!" My uncle (now sadly departed) and cousin had been to Wembley and brought back a programme and a flag. The flag went on my bedroom wall and the rest was history. Got the chance to thank Paul himself in 2016.

1717065997134.png

Last edited:
If there was ever a game that is proof you should always stay until to the end it was this. Early leavers always baffle me with our recent history.

I was a wee nipper back then and on a family holiday abroad. Me and step-dad got up and left the bar we were watching it in at 2-0 down as it was ruining the holiday. Walked past the bar a bit later and assumed the highlights were playing. On closer inspection and to our delight it wasn't, sat back down in the bar and watched the remainder of extra time and penalties.

The day I became a City fan. Was 4 years old, almost 5. Watched the game with my mum and dad at the Village Pub (now the Village Hotel) in Cheadle on that big screen they used to have. Obviously had no idea what was going on but in all the excitement of Dickov's goal a totally random bloke lifted me up in the air and stared into my eyes like I was his own son. After everything had calmed down I apparently toddled over to my mum and said "I'm going to be a City fan!" My uncle and cousin had been to Wembley and brought back a programme and a flag. The flag went on my bedroom wall and the rest was history. Got the chance to thank Paul himself in 2016.

View attachment 120755
Glory hunter!!!

The Monday after York I booked 14 nights in Tunisia....

The game IIRC was on Sky Sports 2 which was the one sports station I couldn't get over there.

I was reduced to updates from of all people a Gillingham girl on the next set of sunbeds...she fucked off at FT and it was hours until I knew the result as anyone who would know in the UK was at the game.

Check out the video on the MCFC site....what a day

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 12.48.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 12.48.21.png
    299.5 KB · Views: 30
Still have my ticket and programme in pride of place on my office wall...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 12.59.27.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 12.59.27.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.