Happy 25th Anniversary of Paul Dickov Day

I'd been out at Tangled at the Phoenix on Oxford Road (anyone remember that place?!) so didn't get in until 4am and my memory is a bit hazy here, but I seem to remember the trains setting off really early about 7am, so had to be there for about 6:30am and they were special trains city had put on?.... anyone confirm this?

The scenes outside on Wembley Way when a copper said to us it's 2 all you know will live with me forever. Hundreds of blues running back to the stadium and getting in for most of extra time and pens

A quarter of a century!

I’ll admit that we missed Horlock’s goal, as our backs were turned as we headed to the steps down to the concourse. Back at our seats, I saw Dickov hit the shot, but didn’t see it hit the net, as limbs went flying in front of me. What a day.

Am I the only one who thinks it actually deflected off that defenders shin and that’s what lifted it over the keeper?

A quarter of a century!

I’ll admit that we missed Horlock’s goal, as our backs were turned as we headed to the steps down to the concourse. Back at our seats, I saw Dickov hit the shot, but didn’t see it hit the net, as limbs went flying in front of me. What a day.

Am I the only one who thinks it actually deflected off that defenders shin and that’s what lifted it over the keeper?
It did

Been watching the goal back for years and, like you, I've never been able to fully establish whether it took a nick or not. Such was the lack of HD technology in those days it's hard to tell. I've watched it in super slow motion, zoomed in, I don't know how many times, and the best I can see is that the tongue of the defender's boot moves ever so slightly after the ball goes over it, which indicates it did just take a deflection. It would also explain why Vince Bartram doesn't really dive towards it, he sort of raises half a hand like the ball was going in one direction but then quickly changed on him. But on the other hand, Dickov's falling back as he hits it which would give it that natural elevation anyway, and the ball doesn't really change direction either. Suppose the debate will roll on for as long as the Martin Tyler/Niall Quinn "Stupendous!" one.

I'd been out at Tangled at the Phoenix on Oxford Road (anyone remember that place?!) so didn't get in until 4am and my memory is a bit hazy here, but I seem to remember the trains setting off really early about 7am, so had to be there for about 6:30am and they were special trains city had put on?.... anyone confirm this?
Yeah, think you're right. Was an early start for me and my 7 yr old daughter, 7 months pregnant wife at home.
Seem to remember the police searching everybody's bags, even kids, for booze before they got on the train. Saw 2 or 3 large bins foll of cans and bottles....wonder where they ended up...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.