Happy 25th Anniversary of Paul Dickov Day

No argument from me. This goal was key, before he scored it it felt like we were going to go into a downward spiral and become a lesser club (I hate typing this but that is how I felt and it hurt). As soon as it went it my non-city mate said city are winning this now and obviously he was right. But more importantly it felt like city were back and no one was going to stop us. The consecutive promotion, even the following relegation felt like a small step back before a stronger step forward. I know there were a few dodgy moments after that but I think our big club status was assured and once the Sheikh took over the sky was the limit. From the 81 FA Cup final until the 4peat fans of a certain age have been on a hell of journey which has character built us and then rewarded us for our loyalty. What an experience. Thankyou Paul Dickov!
Never got this attitude and never will.

For me we would have gone up following season.

A lot of Teams spend a couple of years in a Division they are unaccustomed to, us included.

Great day and drama but it's overplayed, we won a lower league play off which is not our level!

Do Rags or Dippers celebrate their seasons in Division 2, (there have been plenty) do they fuck, airbrushed from history.

Celebrating this makes us look small time, we nearly won the league title in '77 and the Cup in '81. Missed out on Europe twice thanks to the Dippers, these are times that could have defined the Club.

Don't forget, any English team entering the European Cup in the 70's and 80's had a bloody good chance of winning it, it was literally easier to win at that time than the League Cup.

I was there at Wembley and loved it but it is not a high point in our history

Still one of my fondest memories as a kid. Felt like the whole family made it in that day. Pretty sure that was the last City game I ever saw with my Grandad. Pretty good one to end it on!

A lot of Teams spend a couple of years in a Division they are unaccustomed to, us included.

Great day and drama but it's overplayed, we won a lower league play off which is not our level!

Do Rags or Dippers celebrate their seasons in Division 2, (there have been plenty) do they fuck, airbrushed from history.

Celebrating this makes us look small time, we nearly won the league title in '77 and the Cup in '81. Missed out on Europe twice thanks to the Dippers, these are times that could have defined the Club.

Don't forget, any English team entering the European Cup in the 70's and 80's had a bloody good chance of winning it, it was literally easier to win at that time than the League Cup.

It’s not a high point but it’s still arguably the most important game in the club’s history.

Shows how such small incidentals can charge a person’s life for ever.

Miss a penalty in a shoot out and it can be the main thing people associate with you for the rest of your days.

Miss is a shoutout that you win, and it’s almost instantly forgotten.

It’s not a high point but it’s still arguably the most important game in the club’s history.

Saw that, still not having it.

If not us then who would have taken on COMS?

We were getting 30k in Division 2.

I hardly think Paul Dickov secured the Commonwealth Games for Manchester!

Saw that, still not having it.

If not us then who would have taken on COMS?

We were getting 30k in Division 2.

I hardly think Paul Dickov secured the Commonwealth Games for Manchester!

You’re not aware of the facts.

The plan if City weren’t promoted that year was to build a temporary stadium for the Commonwealth Games as it was felt City wouldn’t have been able to support a near 50k purpose built stadium.

When the Mansour bought the club, one of the reasons cited was the already developed stadium and the land around it which was ripe for development.

I’d probably listen to Bernstein on this one.

Just look at what happened to Leeds. Big crowds don’t help when you are in financial trouble and run badly. The 99 team would have to have been broken up and we may still have got promotion the next season but sustained competitiveness in the premier league would have been lost for ever. Don’t forget the collapse of ITV Sport after our last season in the second tier and with that the growing gap between the country’s top 2 tiers. As Berstein had stated the stadium may well not have happened. I am not saying we wouldn’t have got back to the Premier League, I’m saying our big club status would have been lost and with that the opportunity to develop our fan base with new generations of fans. We would be a Leeds, not a Real Madrid we all couldn’t have dreamed would happen one day.

Reactions: PPT
since when was it called paul dickov day?

Always be called the gillingham game in the genie household

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.