Happy 80th Birthday Rodders!

He didn't have that many full international caps though for a player of great skill (like Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson etc). In his last appearance for England manager Alf Ramsey cornered him in the dressing room before the game saying that if he didn't work harder on the pitch he would pull him off at half time. Rodney replied "Blimey - at Man City we only got half an orange."

Twelve days at least to my 80th - do not know the exact number as no idea the time I was born and then need to take into account the time difference between the UK and NZ.
And has crossing the Date Line many times had any effect on my number of days on earth?
On one occasion I travelled from Melbourne to Hawaii, left on the 26th but arrived on the 25th - so am I already 80 and nearly 81?

Loved him.

He drove a Jensen Interceptor he used to leave on the Maine Rd forecourt during training, so I was able to get a pic of him signing autographs as he was getting in.

About 15 years later, played against him while he was player-manager at Tampa Bay Rowdies. We beat them handily, but during the game, he came on, scored and then subbed himself.

As he went off, he walked past our bench and said, “That’s me done for the day!” or words to that effect!

Good memories!

My sister had scrap books full of Rodney pics and articles! He was definitely one for the ladies!!

Was at that game too, in the North Stand, where my mates and I had temporarily relocated, and immediately fell in love with him (as a player, of course!). Recall seeing a young lad and his dad wearing QPR scarves in the queue to the turnstile, obviously big enough fans of his to travel up from London. What a great showman he was: my enduring memory of him is him nutmegging Gordon Taylor twice following a corner in a game v Birmingham: he did it simply to show he could! Heard him on a few podcasts in recent years and it’s clear he still has a love for City. Happy birthday Rodney!
I seem to recall him nutmegging a player and patting him on the head as he went past, could be Gordon Taylor I’m thinking of.

Oh Rodney Rodney
Rodney Rodney Rodney Rodney
Rodney Marsh

The Kippax loved him

Hard not to want to play in this team…

View attachment 134897
' Grew up ' with that team and then a couple of year later, we had Asa Hartford, Dave Watson, Gary Owen, Peter Barnes and, of course, the brilliant Denis Tueart............then in '77, added Mike Channon which was supposed to be the final bit in the jigsaw but didn't quite turn out that way...........loved that team; very exciting to watch and should have won the league '77 and possibly '78 but the Red Scousers were too strong at that time..............I remember the Gerald Sinstadt quote when Rodney scored a blinder against Sheffield United at home - ' a touch of the real Rodney's ' - got the ball, chested it down, controlled it and shot past the ' keeper.................Happy Birthday, Rodney; a real hero of mine; gutted to see him go but he'd fallen out with Tony Book and some of the players at the time c.75/76.........

Twelve days at least to my 80th - do not know the exact number as no idea the time I was born and then need to take into account the time difference between the UK and NZ.
And has crossing the Date Line many times had any effect on my number of days on earth?
On one occasion I travelled from Melbourne to Hawaii, left on the 26th but arrived on the 25th - so am I already 80 and nearly 81?
FOC

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.