Happy Takeover Day! (7 years ago today)

Funnily I recall a fair bunch of Belfast lads turning up now and then so you can´t have been "the only cityfan in the village" sort of..

I was the only city supporter in my school of about 400 from '92-'97 and remember, football only begun in '92.

There were none in the area where I lived apart from my dad and now my younger brother. So I suppose you could say I was the only blue in the village...ish.

I know I've said it on here before but the news WAS whispered about beforehand, by quite a few weeks. I can't quite remember the details but I do remember seeing that "ARabian News" article (I think it was late at night on the 31st August) and thinking "So the rumour IS true". Got into work the next morning and all the office blues were buzzing with it, not much work getting done. Then by mid morning everyone knew we were the wealthiest club in the world.

This is one of the reasons why I have no respect for football 'journalists'. There were enough signs, as this shows, for those who cared to notice them. What proved to be the biggest story in football that year however was ignored by the press, who were fixated by Ronaldo to Real (which didn't happen that summer) and Barry to Liverpool (which didn't happen at all).

The ground was shifting beneath their feet and they didn't even notice.

Quite simply one of the best days ever since football began way back in 1992.

Anyone still got that link to the thread on sadcafe, when it actually started to dawn on them what was happening?!

I wasn't a blue for very long before the money came. I remember picking them after the 2006-07 season and seeing Geovanni lead them to a 1-0 defeat of the scum had me hooked. Then later that year watching Vassel and Benjani lead them to the double at the swamp for Munich day. I also remember being THRILLED when they got into Europe through the Fair Play Table despite Dunney taking a red on the last match of the season. I saw every match, often times via a dodgy feed with Romanian commentary but I kept watching. I really liked Sven and still wonder how he would have done with the Sheikh's money... But who would have thought that they were only to play another handful of competitive matches before everything would change?

On one hand I'm sad I didn't jump on board sooner but games weren't easy to find here. The only team that was ever on TV was the scum and I always hated them. But I did get to experience enough "typical City" moments to at least slightly understand what you lifers have gone through. The one that still eats at me was Michael Owen and the rest of the scum being given all the time in the world to score before the ref would blow the whistle. But without that I never would have truly appreciated the Agueroooooooo moment. Because that would have been the "typical City" moment to top all "typical City" moments. And instead, like a curse had been lifted, "typical City" was never the same again.

I remember saying to one of my mates "wouldn't it be great if we got taken over by an Arab billionaire?" I think that was about 2006 or 2007. My mate replied "nah, nobody like that would want to take us over". Then a couple of years later we were taken over! The rest is history.

Gutted my dad passed away 3 months before we won the FA Cup as he was a massive fan. He loved watching Silva, best player since Bell for him.

I was the only city supporter in my school of about 400 from '92-'97 and remember, football only begun in '92.

There were none in the area where I lived apart from my dad and now my younger brother. So I suppose you could say I was the only blue in the village...ish.

Lost sight of them when we left Maine Road.. I guess they belonged to one of the two supporterclubs we got in Belfast

Over the long run, his influence on the game will dwarf Ferguson, Wenger and all the rest. The sheikh has fundamentally changed the landscape of football.

Thank you, Sheikh Mansour. Best owner in any sport in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.