Harry Gregg RIP

How did Nat Lofthouse manage to get away with bundling Harry into the net in the 1958 Cup Final and the goal be allowed?
The Lion of Vienna would have been sent off in shame nowadays.
Maybe Harry got his revenge in that Bolton haven't won a major trophy since then.
R I P Harry Gregg.

He impressed me with his comments in a recent TV Air Crash programme about the Munich crash - a very brave man and he did really well not only to survive the crash but live to such a good old age.

How did Nat Lofthouse manage to get away with bundling Harry into the net in the 1958 Cup Final and the goal be allowed?
The Lion of Vienna would have been sent off in shame nowadays.

Because it was a fair challenge back then.

Players were allowed to charge the goalkeeper if the ball wasn't in his hands.

Because it was a fair challenge back then.

Players were allowed to charge the goalkeeper if the ball wasn't in his hands.
When Dixie Dean set the record for a season - in the 1930s - many of his goals were scored with the opposition ‘keeper in the back of the net, often still holding the ball!

R.I.P harry gregg

this is from the redcafe

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/club-treatment-of-munich-survivors.107202/

the truth hurts about what happened after the air crash and united really did treat the players badly

Have just reread Harry Greggs book again entitled 'Harrys Game'.
As you all know Harry was a survivor of Munich, and went on to become involved with United at various levels, keeper,coach,scout. A real United man through and through, in his blood as he says it. So, when he mentions several things in his book i believe him.

- the club withdrew taxi rights for the players, even Jackie Blanchflower who could barely walk after the crash. Some of the players got around simply due to the goodwill of the taxi drivers who offered them free rides.

- the club withdrew the rented accomodation from the players.
- very little money given to the survivors & the families of the deceased. Harry Gregg was advised to claim for compensation for missing luggage!
- Martin Edwards and his father said that Munich was nothing to do with them as it occured before they took control!
- Edwards later went against the wishes of the Munich survivors when he asked Eric Cantona to appear in the 'Munich Fundraiser' match. The survivors believe this was a gesture from Edwards to make up with Cantona and actually nothing to do with the actual event.
- The bad treatment of Jimmy Murphy, even Sir Matt didnt speak to him right up to his death.

various other little incidents. Appalling treatment from the club, isnt it time the club made it right for all affected? Raising a decent amount of funds and not taking their share for security costs etc would be a good start.
Its amazing what the players went through at the time, yet they were treated like dirt afterwards.
point scoring at its worst.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.