Harry Kane

I think the poster is entirely right who said that Haaland is something of a gamble. A great young player, but who hasn't been tested the Premier League, who doesn't fill our weaknesses of headers and penalties in the way Kane does, who comes with a circus of an agent and wages that would wreck the structure of the club. And the nature of potential, while exciting, is ephemeral - he could be the best striker on Earth in two years. But he might not be. Maybe he's hit his ceiling. I doubt it, but the point is that you can't hold potential in your hands. It's magic dust.

Whereas Kane has proven for almost a decade now that he can hit high numbers year on year in the EPL. He's the finished article, coming off his best-ever season, and exceeds in every striking area that we lack in. He's not gonna take excessive wages and he's here until he retires, and we know that he definitely wants to come. Plus, Pep Guardiola is apparently insistent that he's the man for the job, and I trust his judgement when it comes to this sport.
Sergio was a gamble. We don’t know what wages Kane or Haaland will agree to.

I suppose it comes down to which is the most likely …. will the hitherto sensational Haaland deteriorate as he enters his prime years or will the hitherto sensational yet injury prone Kane stave off the ravages of Father Time as he exits his prime years.

Look at the fucking balance to that man.
Probably not balanced in midfield and defence though. Rodri would need an inverted full back alongside him so he’s not exposed. But with that team above, if Zinchenko inverted, it means Dias is effectively playing left back in possession and he’s not comfortable. So either Laporte has to play instead of Stones, or Cancelo has to play instead of Walker and be the inverted full back from that side. That is the only way to balance it. I think with the above back 4, Gundogan would have to play instead of Grealish, in a slightly deeper position, and then Grealish competes for the LW spot.

Plenty of options but the point I’m making is we’d need an inverted fullback with that midfield 3, so we need the other three defenders to be a balanced back 3.

Last edited:
Credit to Bayern for staying true to their attacking style in the Q/F despite being without Lewandowski. If only Pep would relax in these one-off games and trust in his squad.

Are you confident of your side this season? I think City are the edge of exhaustion because we start the season with KDB in a fragile state and FOden injured and I would say they are our two most important players. FOden will probably be OK but I don't like the news about KDB.

Bayern's first 11 maybe first 14 are great and everything is possible when all are available. But it is getting difficult when one or two of Neuer, Müller, Lewy, Kimmich or Goretzka are missing. I do not even doubt Nagelsmann - it seems that he knows how important this players are and he will not do a Kovac. But the squad is very thin - Covid does not help here as the club is even more conservative with the spending.

That's all true but it doesn't change how good we were for most of last season without a striker, I expect we will have one next year, but we would also do okay if we don't. It's the doing down of what we achieved last year, and how good our current squad is without a striker that gets on my tits.

Knockout matches - especially in the CL - are something different. It is not about the striker really being able to score - actually Lewy often does not do that in matches like this - but he and Müller together bind the defenders and it is others to shine. Things that work in other matches in the league or against small opponents in the CL just do not work anymore at that level.

When I see City in the CL you remind me on many matches Bayern had with Pep in the CL. I think that to win the CL firepower is more important than xG - and that possession sometimes is a handicap as mistakes always happen.

Sergio was a gamble. We don’t know what wages Kane or Haaland will agree to.

I suppose it comes down to which is the most likely …. will the hitherto sensational Haaland deteriorate as he enters his prime years or will the hitherto sensational yet injury prone Kane stave off the ravages of Father Time as he exits his prime years.
Well, yeah - a pretty key component in the concept of a gamble is the possibility of it paying off. My point is that users were scoffing at the idea of Haaland being anything but a sure-fire success that would be worth all the baggage that comes with him and his wages. There are definite risks. More so than with Kane, IMO.

But it's all hypothetical. We're in for Kane 100% and I don't see any way of us getting Haaland. But I can't help but feel there's a mythos being built around Erling that not only ignores the shortcomings that would come with him, but also plays down the massive strengths that comes with Kane. I've said it before - put Kane's stats and attributes on a player with an exotic name from another league, and this thread would be at 3000 pages of giddy excitement right now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.