Has City explained the logic of buying other football clubs?

Re: Has City explained the logic of buying other football cl

Perhaps.

But this isn't investment in some random Irish club. This is a concerted and specific building of the brand into every single major market. I feel like City have bought Messi and others are asking if he might prove a waste of money or an impulse buy.

I was excited for the NYCFC/Melbourne project. The Marinos sale has brought it into scope without doubts

aguero93:20 said:
@CityinChicago, cheers mate, that's really good to hear
@S04 I think we have a partnership with Boavista, the ' other' Oporto club, they have great south american connections and should be in the top flight again soon

We actually don't. We were rumoured to be buying a stake in Boavista, but then we were rumoured to be buying a stake in Estoril, and I doubt that we would buy stakes in two competing clubs in the same league, that's one mess of a situation brewing if you do that. However, we never actually bought the stake in either, it was only rumoured that we were interested. The signs are there that we are working on making it happen, but rather like the way that Melbourne Heart was the third Australian club we were linked with, there may be a few months and several U-turns to come before anything concrete happens.

Damocles said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
jonmcity said:
Think its all about making money from global sponsorship deals with clubs in each continent.

Could somebody please explain this and only this.

How do we make money by buying all these different clubs. How does it actually put cash into the MCFC Coffers?
Surely any sponsorship deals for NY City or Melbourne etc will go in their accounts.

It's more about having an international reach. The sponsors that are interested in NYCFC and Melbourne won't necessarily be interested in MCFC and vice versa. The US market and the Australian markets are very specific as is the European market.

Look at Chevy for example and their deal with United. Chevy didn't want to put that money into a New York team because they're trying to grow their brand in Europe and Asia after dominating the US. Manchester United had numerous contacts in the US due to the Glazers business interests there and United's historical focus on the US as a market for growth. So United sold them on the idea that they could have significant visibility in a beloved club and game across Europe and Asia and they negotiated a massive deal based on this.

Look at City's own Etihad deal. When Etihad first paired with City, they were virtually unknown to the public and were a loss making institution being in a somewhat similar situation to City. Both were Abu Dhabi based ventures that believed they had a bright future but needed investment and global marketability. City gave Etihad the marketing space and in Manchester gave them a visibility that has helped grow the Etihad brand. They are now organising code shares in the US with major airlines and are investing in US soccer for the same reason. It grew their visibility and respectability.

What City seem to be creating here is a network of football clubs but also a commercial network. Khaldoon talked about offices in Kuala Lumpur and China which is great but these clubs not only allow us to put commercial staff on the ground but the 20% that we hand out to local investors who already have major contacts there (such as the NY Yankees and the Melbourne investors) will help growth. We're essentially giving away 20% of the project in return for their contact books and industry knowledge at a local level.

The Japanese deal is similar but as they have regulations over foreign ownership, we seem to have taken the 20% share and left Marinos with the 80% share. For this we can feed them scouting and coaching resources and education whilst they turn sponsors in Japan interested in sponsoring the major European and global markets onto us. I do believe that that deal has probably already paid for itself with the Nissan partnership that we saw at the West Ham game. Nissan can't get that type of exposure in the Japanese market but we can provide it to them.

Think of this as a fishing net. At the moment we and every other major club mainly trawls a small pond. We compete on the same ground as others and try to bring in our own haul. What the City Football Group does is cast our net across an entire ocean. We might catch a fish in Melbourne that is interested in expanding to the American markets, which we can provide and helps build long terms relationships with them so that when they want to come into Europe, we have them covered there aswell. We might catch a great white shark that only lives in Japan. Maybe a company in the US is interested in moving into the Middle Eastern markets where I'm sure Al-Jazeera FC will join us at some point?

I once wrote something to Tolmie in a PM when we were talking about different business models. I said that the genius of Microsoft compared to others is that they don't just own pieces of software and the like, they own the entire platform. If you want to write software for a home computer that will sell in its millions, you generally have to adhere to Microsoft and their bullshit because they own Windows and they say what happens with it. Your choices are to either move platform to a less profitable and less available base or pay them what they want. Everybody just pays them. It's the same with Steam for all you gamers out there and the same with Google for you website owners. If Google decided tomorrow that every website needed a piece of Google ran code on it to be listed on their search engine, me and Ric would be implementing it the same day as with every other website owner in the entire world.

Controlling the platform gives you not only a massive reach but a level of control that others need to adhere to. The City Football Group are creating this platform as we speak by moving into global marketplaces and tying them all up together. This is not dissimilar to what the Premier League Big Five did in 1989 or what UEFA have done with the Champions League packages.

The amount of upsides to this as just ridiculous. They are too numerous to mention. Others have already identified a collective bargaining agreement and I have already mentioned our ability to be more flexible to a potential partner's needs as well as the value of having local contacts as United have shown in the US, we have shown in the Middle East, Liverpool have shown in Boston, etc. What about if we continue to buy new clubs at this level for 10 years? What about if we make them the best clubs in Japan, Australia, the US and Europe and we hold a City Football Group Invitational Tournament? How much would the TV rights and matchday revenue for that go if it included some of the best clubs in the world playing their full squads I wonder? How much could we sell a place in the tournament to to another club? Just a tiny thought amongst many. How would this affect our transfer policy? We could use our network not just of sponsors but also PR agents with contacts in their national press like Kloss does here and make our new signing a global superstar immediately, which considering we own our player's image rights would move money back into us. What about the ability to offer the next American superstar the chance to be trained at the best Academy in the US, move them over to City when they have hit the right talent and then retire back home, maybe with a career where we start them off as a coach trained in Australia before they come back to us? How would this affect us picking up the best coaches in the world, guaranteeing that even if a new manager comes in we can move them to an affiliate that plays the same way, a real job security in a field where there isn't enough? What about potential scouting possibilities having all these clubs scouting their local talent and bringing them in to play the City way?

When Cook started talking about a ten year plan, this is it for me. This one structure in my opinion will make us the highest revenue generating football club in the entire world and I absolutely cannot believe that nobody else thought of it before. I guarantee this setup will be copied by many people in the future, it's genius and like most genius ideas so simple that everybody should kick themselves.

The benefits of this are absolutely huge. We could literally talk all day about how fantastic an idea this is for us. This isn't just like having a feeder club, it's an integrated approach to widen City's net across the entire world in every single marketplace and every single country. We are building our own platform and will control it as such.

A quite superb post.

I think it's important to expand on your point about Garry Cook. This is his vision that is being realised as we speak.

When he pitched MCFC to Sheikh Mansour he spoke of the potential to expand "City" as a brand in to other markets and having other clubs playing under that brand. The "City" name itself is extremely marketable and easily transferred to other clubs in other parts of the world.

This was one of the USP's that influenced the Sheik to buy us as opposed to Everton or Newcastle, who couldn't offer the same brand extension potential.

Ferran does speak in his book about how Barca were looking at an expansion team in Miami but in the end it didn't make sense financially, so he has considered the strategy before.

I think this will undoubtably help with FFP, but I don't think it's a reaction to it. This expansion has always been part of the plan since that very first pitch by Garry Cook.

S04 said:
chicagoblues said:
Just curious if south America is the next on the list .That would be awesome .

No rumours about south America I´m afraid.. Point is, I don´t think we´ll have a controlling stake in more than one club in any confederation but we can have small stakes (like in Yokohama) in any number of clubs.
New rumours is about south Africa, Shanghai and a 2nd club in Europe (Portugal).
But South and North America are different confederations.

In the interview that Garry Cook gave to 5Live, he said the plan was "Blue is the colour, City is the name"

Seems to me that is the CFG brand in eight words

City Watch @City_Watch · 13m

Times of India: Officials from newly formed Indian Super League club Goa have traveled to England to try and form a partnership with City.

so we have new york, melbourne, japan, china and now india.

next stop surely will be africa?

i would imagine we will still look at a portuguse club and i hope we look at south america and head to argentina or brazil.

sam-caddick said:
City Watch @City_Watch · 13m

Times of India: Officials from newly formed Indian Super League club Goa have traveled to England to try and form a partnership with City.

so we have new york, melbourne, japan, china and now india.

next stop surely will be africa?

i would imagine we will still look at a portuguse club and i hope we look at south america and head to argentina or brazil.

I think the key word in your quote is "try". Rather like the way we rejected Western Sydney Wanderers when they offered their club to us at the same price as we paid for the Heart, I'm not sure City will simply accept every share offer they receive.

If this proves to be the ideal business model then we will have one hell of a head start. I can't see any of the major clubs of Europe risking their money on ventures like this until they see it working, and even then it will take some mammoth investment to catch up, which could impact on how much they invest in their first teams.

Also, another downside of the Goa link-up: they will have Louis Saha and Dwight Yorke playing for them, both of whom I am sure would be thrilled to play in sky blue for a club called City.

That said, the Indian Super League thing looks interesting. Clubs seem to be actively going out of their way to name themselves after European teams and copy their image. At least there wouldn't hopefully wouldn't be the resistance from the fans that we've seen in NYC and Melbourne.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.