Has City explained the logic of buying other football clubs?

Re: Has City explained the logic of buying other football cl

It seems to me that our "expansion" or rumours about them sort of run in tandem with Etihad taking stakes or forming alliances with other carriers..?

JetBlue in New York has made Abu Dhabi-based Etihad its latest partner, announcing on Wednesday that the carriers would enter into a passenger-sharing "codeshare" alliance.
January 23, 2014
“New York City is one of the most popular destinations in our network, not only for guests flying from Abu Dhabi but also for business, leisure and family travellers from a wide range of connecting destinations,” said James Hogan, the president and chief executive of Etihad.
January 15, 2014

Etihad Airways stake in Virgin Australia rises to 21.24 per cent
May 19, 2014

"Over the last year India’s JET Airways have sold 24% of Jet Airways’ equity as well as a majority stake in its frequent-flier program, which houses data about premium passengers. in addition to selling slots at London’s Heathrow airport to Etihad Airways
Forbes-5/01/2014

Damocles said:
I couldn't disagree more. We can offer a South American club worldwide marketing opportunities as well as both scouting opportunities, coaching opportunities and others. Transfer opportunities, staff opportunities, growth opportunities, etc.

I feel like I'm going mad, I can't be the only person who can see the massive opportunities and benefits here? This is an absolute game changer in football and I get the feeling that everybody is thinking in such small terms. This is our iPod for lack of a better term. It's absolutely genius and will make us more money than we could possibly count. Surely you guys can see the big picture here? The CFG will completely change the football business as it currently stands and every other club will be playing catchup.

Why can't you all see this? It's brilliant. It's the difference between success and domination. We will never ever struggle for revenue ever again because we've built our own platform. This moves us from competing with United, Chelsea and Liverpool in revenue to competing with UEFA and FIFA in commercial deals.

I agree. Some time ago I suggested that the future lies in a world league involving all five continents making the CL seem like the FA cup and no one seemed to grasp it.

I think that the UEFA and FIFA models are anachronistic and will soon be obsolete. We are in the vanguard of a new era but don't expect everyone to see it.

Wreckless Alec said:
Damocles said:
I couldn't disagree more. We can offer a South American club worldwide marketing opportunities as well as both scouting opportunities, coaching opportunities and others. Transfer opportunities, staff opportunities, growth opportunities, etc.

I feel like I'm going mad, I can't be the only person who can see the massive opportunities and benefits here? This is an absolute game changer in football and I get the feeling that everybody is thinking in such small terms. This is our iPod for lack of a better term. It's absolutely genius and will make us more money than we could possibly count. Surely you guys can see the big picture here? The CFG will completely change the football business as it currently stands and every other club will be playing catchup.

Why can't you all see this? It's brilliant. It's the difference between success and domination. We will never ever struggle for revenue ever again because we've built our own platform. This moves us from competing with United, Chelsea and Liverpool in revenue to competing with UEFA and FIFA in commercial deals.

I agree. Some time ago I suggested that the future lies in a world league involving all five continents making the CL seem like the FA cup and no one seemed to grasp it.

I think that the UEFA and FIFA models are anachronistic and will soon be obsolete. We are in the vanguard of a new era but don't expect everyone to see it.

Khaldoon essentially said that (1) ADUG would be taking a pragmatic view to FFP whilst emphasising that MCFC was debt-free [compare and contrast] and (2) CFG would be developed further and was part of the overall plan for expansion of revenues and reputation.

So, spot on Damocles. It is the very essence of the Emirati businessman to have partnerships, sponsorships and related deals with as many commercial entities as possible. It therefore seems entirely feasible to me that further clubs around the world will fall under the CFG umbrella. Then, as you say, global domination awaits. Happy days for us and happy days for the Al Nahyans.

Wreckless Alec said:
Damocles said:

Agree with this. UEFA are becoming inconvenient - although FIFA might survive to give any future competition a gloss of history.
UEFA are caught between appeasing the old guard and an obsolete business, or scrambling aboard the next gravy train looming on the horizon.
You don't demand that level of investment to participate in the CL without providing some guarantee of a (permanent) return, just like you can't admit new members to share from the same pot. UEFA haven't got an answer to either of these two problems anymore.

So, instead of taking our ball home over ffp we might have just rolled up with a brand new pot which rivals UEFA's! You don't take a "pinch" like we did without a v. good reason.

You can imagine the attraction of a league of world cities one day, for some. Kerrrching! This may just be the starter gun going off jostling for position.
Wonder if there will be any interest in a Berlin club ? Probably the only city left in Europe without a big team that competes with the big cities and exotic names in Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, London, Lisbon, Paris, New York, Melbourne, ... Manchester!

Horrible prospect in many ways but probably inevitable the day Murdoch realised satellite TV + football = $$$. Now we're getting near to the internet capability that means the next leap is possible/inevitable. When the new model is beneficial to enough c̶l̶u̶b̶s̶ businesses then we'll see rapid change.

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves here. This is not an attempt to replace UEFA and FIFA with an Abu Dhabi-owned world league. Who would want to follow a league where all the clubs are owned by one man? How would you determine which clubs buy which players when they all have access to the same pot and the same benefits? Players would end up just flocking to the most attractive city rather than club.

Besides, on that line of thought, can you imagine a league which clubs from NYC, Shanghai, Tokyo, Jo'burg, Rio...and Manchester? Capital of world football the city may become, but it's not and never will be a glamour capital. If this were the case, Mansour would have bought into a London club, or would be looking at relocating us shortly.

Finally, would anyone even want a world league? Even the MLS suffers from distance issues - they can only schedule one game a week because it's medically inadvisable to ask more of players who are having to do 2 x 8- to 10-hour flights every single week. In a league where every away match requires 15- to 24-hour flights, it would be even worse. You'd be looking at a league with maybe only 20 games per team, and cup competitions on top would be out of the question. Would any of us really want that?

Falastur said:
I think some people are getting ahead of themselves here. This is not an attempt to replace UEFA and FIFA with an Abu Dhabi-owned world league. Who would want to follow a league where all the clubs are owned by one man? How would you determine which clubs buy which players when they all have access to the same pot and the same benefits? Players would end up just flocking to the most attractive city rather than club.

Besides, on that line of thought, can you imagine a league which clubs from NYC, Shanghai, Tokyo, Jo'burg, Rio...and Manchester? Capital of world football the city may become, but it's not and never will be a glamour capital. If this were the case, Mansour would have bought into a London club, or would be looking at relocating us shortly.

Finally, would anyone even want a world league? Even the MLS suffers from distance issues - they can only schedule one game a week because it's medically inadvisable to ask more of players who are having to do 2 x 8- to 10-hour flights every single week. In a league where every away match requires 15- to 24-hour flights, it would be even worse. You'd be looking at a league with maybe only 20 games per team, and cup competitions on top would be out of the question. Would any of us really want that?

All this may be true based on current thinking. However, even now the top clubs are prepared to mix their squad to adapt to different competitions. For example, clubs rest players for the league cup sometimes playing an entirely different team to the one they play in the league the following weekend. Who would have conceived that 25 years ago ? To accommodate the extra travel involved, you'd simply need to tweak the permitted squad size. With increased income it would be possible to do that without much problem.

As regards City owning clubs in all the continents, that would be give us the foothold in every continent that the G14 had when they set up the CL in Europe. It ensures that we could never be excluded again and also give us a major say in how the world game develops. Even better, it puts in a position to drive these developments on a global scale. Our rivals haven't realised yet that we are outflanking them. It may take 20 years or more to come to fruition but no one will do to us again what the G14 have tried to do.

Wreckless Alec said:
As regards City owning clubs in all the continents, that would be give us the foothold in every continent that the G14 had when they set up the CL in Europe.

I think you have your history wrong. The Champs League was (re)founded in 1992. The G14 only came into existence in 2000. The CL was what it was far before big clubs started to exert influence in it.

Falastur said:
Wreckless Alec said:
As regards City owning clubs in all the continents, that would be give us the foothold in every continent that the G14 had when they set up the CL in Europe.

I think you have your history wrong. The Champs League was (re)founded in 1992. The G14 only came into existence in 2000. The CL was what it was far before big clubs started to exert influence in it.

The G14 was simply the formalisation of an existing group of rich clubs. It was the same clubs driving the formation of the Premier League and the Champions League to consolidate their position.

The Fat el Hombre said:
Re rascals point - on a lesser scale we could probably see a friendly tournament here or there between the city teams in a not too distant future. Could be a laugh hitting the bars with Aussie, yank and Japanese City fans all singing blue moon, though maybe not for those who hate the day trippers!

I see this being a big part of thought behind it. Good way to build up the global fan base and commercially. Possibly can get a larger deal to sponsor City along with all the satellite clubs together than each one individually. Will possibly provide young talent to be developed in the satellite clubs for City, or to be sold from City to the satellites. Possibly at inflated fees to help with FFP if needed.

Marvin said:
I don't get it.

Is it about building international support for City? i.e. easier to get football fans to support City if they have a City team in their own League?

Are we not storing up problems for the future? It's only a question of when we have a proper International Club competition and City clubs would be excluded from playing each other

maybe submit a freedom of information request?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.