Has club football killed international football ?

Honestly I feel a bit sorry for Southgate. Brits are saying he's got all these massively talented players and he's useless, he hasn't really, a lot of them are bang average. Maybe 3 or 4 world class.
It’s his lack of tactics and cowardice that gets him grief, his inability to move on from a formation that hasn’t worked and his lack of in game management to change a game that’s going tits up.
He gets 5m a year for the pleasure as well so not sure he’s worth your pity.

I think there are a number of factors at play:

We are generally less patriotic.
International friendlies have reduced the importance of international matches and break up the domestic structure - a negative impact for many.
We see better quality football in the PL from some clubs.

It’s his lack of tactics and cowardice that gets him grief, his inability to move on from a formation that hasn’t worked and his lack of in game management to change a game that’s going tits up.
He gets 5m a year for the pleasure as well so not sure he’s worth your pity.
You can't go gung ho with 7 or 8 average players, just can't be done.
He's topped the group. Yet he gets booed and plastic cups thrown at him.
Maybe he walks away, is there any guarantee the next guy will be better?

Think back to the group games for England at Italia 90 - absolute dross.
Lucky to beat Belgium, then got a shock vs Cameroon.
Played well against the Germans but out on penalties.
It's always ups and downs in tournaments.
That tournament is now looked back on as iconic and a watershed for football.

TV coverage is a big factor too. Before the PL started, there was very little football on TV, meaning the FA Cup final day was sacred and the build up was on all day to it.

Similarly, the fact international tournaments were shown on TV made people far more excited about them, also because we got to see different players too.

Nowadays, football is on 24/7, we know about every player and the standard isn’t as good as club football.

I don’t think the only two options available are go gung ho or bore the opposition to death with negativity. There’s an inbetween.
Getting credit for topping this group in the way he has is half the problem and part of the reason the national side won’t be successful anytime soon. It’s accepting mediocrity and making excuses for a manager who could quite possibly be the luckiest in the game.

Honestly I feel a bit sorry for Southgate. Brits are saying he's got all these massively talented players and he's useless, he hasn't really, a lot of them are bang average. Maybe 3 or 4 world class.

So long as we understand what we both mean by “world class”: there is no team in the tournament that has more. Not one. The remaining “big guns” have two, if they're lucky. More rarely, three. That should be enough to win a tournament if the rest are of an acceptable level.
And they are, by the way. There are no bad players in the team (there was, with Kalvin, and apparently he was great for England, so even for him I must put him in the category of “good players”!).
There's just no team, and not much of a manager. There you have it.

Last edited:
I think there's alot more to take into consideration regarding international football other than club football hampering it.

International Football managers are incredibly poor, All the best managers are being coached by the club teams.

Too many international games, World Cup Qualifying, Euros Qualifying, Nations League Qualifying, Then going on the play in those tournaments, You also have so many Friendly games.

International Football is a very slow tempo in the majority of games compared to what we are used to watching every week, The international football is general is pretty poor standard, You've the bigger nations that aren't what they used to be and the smaller nations have improved somewhat and the games are now closer than previous years.

The atmosphere at games is poor.

Most people just don't want there players to get injured on international duty and return to there clubs.

Basically it boils down to everyone's loyalty and a large percentage will say club football. For me personally I'd rather City win a friendly in the USA than England win the Euros as I couldn't give a bollocks about England.

Football as an entertainment has become a non event in the main, then you get the overhyping of certain players and you end up with even more dross. Southgate is safe hands he'd still play a snooze system if he had 11 Brazilians to choose from.

Club sides can use the best players in the world whereas say England can only use best English players.

Our PL attracts the global tv money so it's top clubs attract the best players.

How can England possibly play a team game when it's PL clubs play different styles week in week out and rely on their foreign players with complete trust and method.

We watch England play and expect a team performance from individuals.

exactly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.