Has club football killed international football ?

As someone who supports a sh*t team, I don't suffer as much as you guys do with PL Club allegiances.

Out of all the games I've watched only us (& Belgium to a degree) have stunk the place out.

Is that down to Southgate?
Is that down to the players?
Are the players knackered?
Are the players not as good as they (or we) think there are?

I think it's a mixture of all of the above.

We should be performing better, but take Pickford for example (not picking on him) but does he start for Germany/Spain/Italy/France? I don't think so.

Before the tournament started I said Qtr's at best and I still think that, hope I'm wrong.

Another thing to consider club football at the top level is more like Fifa Ultimate Team nowadays where the top teams have the best players from the best countries, this makes them superior to their international teams.

3 or 4 world-class players is more than enough to win tournaments. Most winners don't have that many. They always have managers who get the very best out of their squads though. England don't.
spain are literally playing a talented 16 year old in their team and looking very good while doing it, they prob have 2 world class players in rodri and carvajal (a **** i know but an exceptional right back) they are also playing with cucurella and even torres made their squad and they look the best TEAM by a margin.

As someone who supports a sh*t team, I don't suffer as much as you guys do with PL Club allegiances.

Out of all the games I've watched only us (& Belgium to a degree) have stunk the place out.

Is that down to Southgate?
Is that down to the players?
Are the players knackered?
Are the players not as good as they (or we) think there are?

I think it's a mixture of all of the above.

We should be performing better, but take Pickford for example (not picking on him) but does he start for Germany/Spain/Italy/France? I don't think so.

Before the tournament started I said Qtr's at best and I still think that, hope I'm wrong.

Another thing to consider club football at the top level is more like Fifa Ultimate Team nowadays where the top teams have the best players from the best countries, this makes them superior to their international teams.
I think pickford is a bit a misnomer because keeper is a really subjective thing, i think most other players start for any of them teams kane, bellingham, foden, saka, rice and maybe even walker and stones walk into most of those teams and if not the teams then certainly the squads, the squad is just being underutilised.

Yes it has any top 6 club could beat any international team.
And yet we keep hearing the likes of Shearer and Ian Wright telling us that this is the highest level of football. This is nonsense as the likes of City and Arsenal would batter any of these international sides

Nope.

For a start international football, especially the big tournaments, capture the interest of a much wider section of society than those that follow the day to day grind of club football.

Secondly, the quality of football is definitely lower than the top club competitions, but it's not actually really about the quality of football. Tournaments are about stories, drama, goals, moments, atmosphere etc.

These Euros are a much bigger event than any club competition. Just because England are boring to watch instead of City doesn't change that.
Not to me. City all day long . Me and my lads sit and watch England and non of us get remotely excited by them. We want them to win but if they don't I am over it in a flash. Now if it was the England cricket team, that's different.

I think there are a number of factors at play:

We are generally less patriotic.
International friendlies have reduced the importance of international matches and break up the domestic structure - a negative impact for many.
We see better quality football in the PL from some clubs.

Also many are getting older and more miserable.

I wish it would kill internationals , our players p!ay about sixty games per season because we go far into competitions , then they pile the fucking intrnational games on top , the players are fucked , if internationals stopped tomorrow i would be very happy

This is a pretty selfish viewpoint Kaz. There were comments made of a similar sentiment when the Super League was announced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.